Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

The writing in PoE is indeed very ponderous most of the time. That's the word I would use to describe it.

Naraya

Arcane
The writing in PoE is indeed very ponderous most of the time. That's the word I would use to describe it.
I definitely agree. When reading the dialogues I couldn't put my finger on what exactly was wrong with it that and why - as a non-native English speaker - I had such a hard time to stay focused on the conversation to understand it. Extremely ponderous writing plays a crucial role here.

Makabb

Arcane
Shitposter Bethestard
That's why you wait for Poe enhanced edition which will have perks quirks and re-written story.

Copper

Savant
They should go 100% potato and just have 1 person do all VO. Preferably Josh.

Sunsetspawn

Arcane
CHIP_zpsulkajoxc.jpg

Tell us how you really feel​

3 might = 10 -7 might = 100% - (7*3) = 79% damage.
21 might = 10 + 11 might = 100% + (11*3) = 133% damage.
20/1.33 * .79 = 11.88 damage

Your math is wrong. If PoE is giving those numbers then it is modifying the +-3% per point rule or you have modified the situation in some way.
It's your math that makes no sense. I have no idea how you arrived at the numbers you did.

The comparison is between a 21 might aumaua and a 2 might orlan, by the way. I haven't modified anything.
He hasn't calculated for how it intersects with damage reduction, is his problem. Just calculated the difference in dmg vs a 0 DR enemy.

3 might = 10 -7 might = 100% - (7*3) = 79% damage.
21 might = 10 + 11 might = 100% + (11*3) = 133% damage.
20/1.33 * .79 = 11.88 damage

Your math is wrong. If PoE is giving those numbers then it is modifying the +-3% per point rule or you have modified the situation in some way.
It's your math that makes no sense. I have no idea how you arrived at the numbers you did.

The comparison is between a 21 might aumaua and a 2 might orlan, by the way. I haven't modified anything.
He hasn't calculated for how it intersects with damage reduction, is his problem. Just calculated the difference in dmg vs a 0 DR enemy.

Athelas's raw damage was wrong. I corrected that. His method of calculating damage reduction was fine, so there was no need to mention that.

almondblight

Arcane
I am going to assume you refer to trash fights here. I would argue they have merit- they serve as a drain of your items and spells. Even the Goldbox games had that.

They drain your spells in a game where you get all your spells back with the push of a button?

If trash fights had merit, people wouldn't hate them so much once XP is removed (like in PoE). The fact that they do suggests that trash fights appeal to people because they like MMORPG-type mindless grinds.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
You're not supposed to push that button except for when it would make sense in a P&P game, is that so hard to understand?

Stompa

Arcane
Trash fights don't exactly drain anything in a game with multiple replenishable resources available (per encounters, chanter's buffs and invocations, cipher's focus, ammo being free).

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Often trash fights have the opposite effect because loot and xp earned is worth more than any resource expenditure.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
That'd be fine. The whole point of adventuring is to get riches.

The problem is that trash fights give all these rewards in games WITHOUT asking you to expend any resources.

almondblight

Arcane
You're not supposed to push that button except for when it would make sense in a P&P game, is that so hard to understand?

So they make sense only if the player imposes their own limitations that aren't in the game? Judging a game by the personal limitations you set for yourself while playing it is pretty silly. Someone could decide to play PoE by choosing party size and classes through dice rolls, and then limiting the amount of abilities they use in each dungeon, only issuing orders ever 10 seconds, etc., but judging the game based on their personal restrictions tells us absolutely nothing.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
That'd be fine. The whole point of adventuring is to get riches.

The problem is that trash fights give all these rewards in games WITHOUT asking you to expend any resources.
If resources are a net gain at the end of the battle, what's the difference? The fact you have to click on the city screen and then rest everyone once in a while?

Jasede

Arcane
Patron

So they make sense only if the player imposes their own limitations that aren't in the game? Judging a game by the personal limitations you set for yourself while playing it is pretty silly. Someone could decide to play PoE by choosing party size and classes through dice rolls, and then limiting the amount of abilities they use in each dungeon, only issuing orders ever 10 seconds, etc., but judging the game based on their personal restrictions tells us absolutely nothing.

That's like saying "Pools of Radiance is too easy, you can set your stats to all 18 during character creation" - when that was simply a feature to more easily make your D&D characters in the game. It's the same with resting. You can use it as a crutch, if you are really, really shitty at games and kind of dumb, or you can use them as clearly intended: to simulate a D&D experience. And I don't know about your DMs but mine will let rocks fall on your head if you rest spam. Hell, I will leave the group if my DM lets me.

This is pointless to debate with you guys. What do you want? Some refined AI thing that controls if you can rest or not? A timer that makes it so you can only rest when your characters are tired? If you put that in, the casuals won't buy your game or they'll just go AFK for 5 minutes until they can rest again. There's just no winning. Giving freedom = OH LOL THE GAME CLEARLY INTENDED YOU TO REST AFTER EVERY FIGHT!!!11 -- Not giving freedom = MUH FREEDUMB

Bah humbug

almondblight

Arcane
That's like saying "Pools of Radiance is too easy, you can set your stats to all 18 during character creation" - when that was simply a feature to more easily make your D&D characters in the game. It's the same with resting. You can use it as a crutch, if you are really, really shitty at games and kind of dumb, or you can use them as clearly intended: to simulate a D&D experience. And I don't know about your DMs but mine will let rocks fall on your head if you rest spam. Hell, I will leave the group if my DM lets me.

Well, I don't PnP so you'll forgive me if I find "obviously you can do XYZ in the game, but you shouldn't because in PnP my DM blah blah blah" to be a pretty shit argument. Hey, maybe somebody's DM's limit group sizes to 4 or punish dump stats - is it suddenly silly of me to roll with a party of 6 or have intelligence below 10 for my fighter?

How often should you be allowed to rest in dungeons?

This is pointless to debate with you guys. What do you want? Some refined AI thing that controls if you can rest or not? A timer that makes it so you can only rest when your characters are tired? If you put that in, the casuals won't buy your game or they'll just go AFK for 5 minutes until they can rest again. There's just no winning. Giving freedom = OH LOL THE GAME CLEARLY INTENDED YOU TO REST AFTER EVERY FIGHT!!!11 -- Not giving freedom = MUH FREEDUMB

You're acting as if all other RPGs had resting systems as bad as the infinity engine games. No, most have a better system than "there's a button that will fully refresh your party, use it sometimes, but not too much, how much is too much I have no clue."

Seriously, how often are we supposed to press it? Once per dungeon? Once per level of a dungeon? A dungeon level in Watcher's Keep is going to be pretty different from one level in the sewers. Once during Firkraag's quest? Or once during Firkraag's dungeon, one before fighting him? Should we be able to go back and stock up/level up before fighting him, or is that another silly thing that would never happen in DnD?

Like I said, if you want to impose restrictions that make trash mobs useful for BG, you can do the same for PoE. Pretend that once per encounter abilities are actually X per encounter abilities, and only use them accordingly. However, it'd still be pretty silly for someone to then say that trash encounters in PoE are great based on the personal rules their playing the game with.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
If you need to ask yourself how often you don't understand the principle of adventuring, As often as is reasonable. Or, if you're bad, as you seem to be: as little as possible, as often as needed.

Nobody ever said trash encounters in PoE are great. They're worthless. Garbage, like the whole game and its useless combat system. You know it's not an improvement when shitty old games that aged poorly are still more fun than this tripe. I can't believe how salty I am about spending jewgold on this garbage when I could have donated it to the Knights of the Chalice guy. Well, except that guy went insane so I guess both ways fuck me over.

Look, I am tired of arguing about this. You just play your games and keep asking on forums "how often is enough". Do you want a quest compass with that? Boohoo, mommy, the game didn't say how often is too often! Dear RPG Codex, is it okay to buy and use healing potions or is it cheating? Make your own fucking decisions you little twerp.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom