Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

Kz3r0

Arcane
I would have been VERY surprised if an established company like Larian (brand and a large existing customer base) couldn't sell 200,000 copies of a co-op game, be it RT or TB.
Yeah, I am very surprised too bythe fact that Obsidian, a well known studio that worked with some of the most recognizable IPs around, Star Wars, South Park etc., couldn't sell a million copies easily.
:troll:

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
D:OS - played for 2 hours, uninstalled, would back again.

Just because of the setting / writting?
Yes.

Yeah, I am very surprised too bythe fact that Obsidian, a well known studio that worked with most od the recognizable IPs around, SratWars, South Park etc., couldn't sell a million copies easily.
Have they ever sold a million copies easily? Like Larian, they are well established and have a strong following, which all but guarantees a couple of hundred thousand copies sold. The rest depends on a number of factors.

However, let's keep in mind that D;OS has been released a while ago and PoE probably (too lazy to check) sold more than D:OE during the same period. Both games got rave reviews and overall it's too early to say where PoE will end up at, sales wise.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
D:OS - played for 2 hours, uninstalled, would back again.

Just because of the setting / writting?
Yes.

Yeah, I am very surprised too bythe fact that Obsidian, a well known studio that worked with most od the recognizable IPs around, SratWars, South Park etc., couldn't sell a million copies easily.
Have they ever sold a million copies easily? Like Larian, they are well established and have a strong following, which all but guarantees a couple of hundred thousand copies sold. The rest depends on a number of factors.

However, let's keep in mind that D;OS has been released a while ago and PoE probably (too lazy to check) sold more than D:OE during the same period. Both games got rave reviews and overall it's too early to say where PoE will end up at, sales wise.

PoE has sold a bit less than D:OS in the same period. It does cost more to buy, though (45 vs 40).

Vault Dweller

Developer
It also got significantly more from the backers, which is a different stat, but still should be taken into consideration:

D:OS - 19,541 backers pledged $944,282
PoE - 73,986 backers pledged $3,986,929

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
It also got significantly more from the backers, which is a different stat, but still should be taken into consideration:

D:OS - 19,541 backers pledged $944,282
PoE - 73,986 backers pledged $3,986,929

We'll be able to make a proper comparison at the end of the month. We know D:OS had passed half a million two months after its release. From looking at Steamspy it doesn't seem likely PoE will hit that. It might shortly afterwards if the game gets a nice 25% or 33% discount in the Summer Sale, though.

t

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Don't forget slacker backers for PoE, although I'm not sure if there are any figures for that.

Vault Dweller

Developer
I assume that D:OS' half a mil includes all digital platforms and stores, whereas Steamspy shows only Steam.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
I assume that D:OS' half a mil includes all digital platforms and stores, whereas Steamspy shows only Steam.

It's all Steam keys except the GOG version, I think.

Like I said, it's a bit lower than D:OS (I could even see it making 400,000+ including GOG by next month) which makes sense considering the higher price and competition from GTA5, Bloodborne, Witcher 3, etc

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Developer
D:OS - released almost a year ago, sold 837,407 ± 23,667
Pillars - released a month and a half ago, sold 357,282 ± 15,474, if we include the backers - over 400,000, i.e. half of what D:OS sold in a year. I assume they sell at least a few thousand copies a day, so in a year they should be able to sell 350-500,000 extra copies. The expansion will boost sales as well.

DeepOcean

Arcane
This talking of sales lead me search recent RPG sales and discovering the abysmal sales of Blackguards 2 that lead me to the hilarious Blackguards 2 review, holey crap, Blackguards developers must have converted to Sawyerism when they made Black Guards 2.:lol: Pity Daedalic doesn't has so much fanboys to defend their games.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Well, at least VD, much as we've been arguing lately, can still take a stand against terrible settings and writing. (And as much as I am sometimes (overly) critical of the AoD writing I've always liked its setting. The key thing to understand about someone who groks RPGs is that the more they love their hobby, the more they'll scrutinize especially the things they want to love. It's called having good taste.

imweasel

ERYFKRAD brofisted every post on this page except for those from Infinitron. :lol:

We'll be able to make a proper comparison at the end of the month. We know D:OS had passed half a million two months after its release. From looking at Steamspy it doesn't seem likely PoE will hit that. It might shortly afterwards if the game gets a nice 25% or 33% discount in the Summer Sale, though.
How about a 60% discount. Like right now. ROW keys are already being sold dirt cheap (not slightly or moderately cheaper as one would expect) on Ebay and in keyshops for some reason.

Also, according to SteamSpy PoE only sold about 50K Steam copies in the last 4 weeks, although the game was released about 6 weeks ago. So I seriously doubt that PoE will sell anywhere near as good as D:OS. BTW, D:OS was #1 on Steam for 4 weeks and in the top ten for many weeks/months after that - PoE is already struggling just to stay in the top 20.

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
We shouldn't want it to sell more, they might make more of these instead of something great.

Mareus

Magister
This is literally the worst Obsidian game I’ve played to date. That’s right, I even had more fun with Dungeon Siege 3
Roxor you have 2-3 valid complaints. All of them concerning combat. The rest is just bullshit.

Naraya

Arcane
Well, I finally completed it. Gotta admit, last third and especially last act was a struggle to finish. SO.MUCH.TEXT.AND.TRASH.FIGHTS. I don't think I'll start another playthrough anytime soon - somehow my overall impression of the game was quite depressing. I haven't felt this after finishing BG and especially BG2.

I do not regret backing PoE, I just expected it to be... different.

mastroego

Arcane
Also, according to SteamSpy PoE only sold about 50K Steam copies in the last 4 weeks, although the game was released about 6 weeks ago. So I seriously doubt that PoE will sell anywhere near as good as D:OS. BTW, D:OS was #1 on Steam for 4 weeks and in the top ten for many weeks/months after that - PoE is already struggling just to stay in the top 20.
Well I guess reality is starting to sink in.
Infinitron, raving reviews and backers still in denial phase can only do so much.

There's hardly anything worse you can tell about a game than it being "boring" or a "pain to finish".
It means it has failed at even having a reason to exist (for the user, I mean)
Sure, there are still players who are like "ehi, all in all, it was not so bad, I kind of enjoyed it for what it was", but the reality is that when it's PoE2 time they'll think twice about buying it since, at the end of the day, they'll have no lively, pulsating memory of the first one and they'll see things more clearly by then.

What's relevant is that a good portion of the Codex's user base knew exactly how this game was going to turn out months in advance :keepmymoney:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom