Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

Kz3r0

Arcane
Actually stopping after Act 2 is very common, the most postive user reviews come also from people who hadn't finished act 2 yet.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
There are now whisperings about doing a "shit game vs great game" contrast review, using PoE and Witcher 3.

Ulrox

Arbiter
There are now whisperings about doing a "shit game vs great game" contrast review, using PoE and Witcher 3.
Is poe the shit game, or is the witcher 3 the shit game, and how do you know if witcher 3 is shit or not if it hasn't been released yet?

Kz3r0

Arcane
Is poe the shit game, or is the witcher 3 the shit game, and how do you know if witcher 3 is shit or not if it hasn't been released yet?
PoE competed against its spiritual predecessors and failed, and is a mediocre game overall, The Witcher is just a mediocre ARPG, both are overall worse than D:OS, end of line.

Vault Dweller

Commissar, Red Star Studio
Developer
PoE competed against its spiritual predecessors and succeeded; unfortunately the spiritual predecessors were bland and uninspiring BUT they had uber loot which made them awesome.
Fixed.

... both are overall worse than D:OS, end of line.
D:OS - played for 2 hours, uninstalled, would back again.

Weasel
k2R9VOh.jpg

Kz3r0

Arcane
PoE competed against its spiritual predecessors and succeeded; unfortunately the spiritual predecessors were bland and uninspiring BUT they had uber loot which made them awesome.
Fixed.

So PoE has better combat, better story and better roleplaying options than its predecessors in some alternate universe.
Interesting.
... both are overall worse than D:OS, end of line.
Pants on retarded RPG made with passion at financial risk VS soulless casual shilling, which is better and why?

Ulrox

Arbiter

It takes a whole lot from fallout though game design wise. You can build your charecter however you want, there's perks, turn based combat with action points. Not super good story and not much choice and consequence but well. I definately enjoyed it more than any other kickstarted old school rpg. I guess I just dont understand how our tastes in games can differ as much as it does.

Kz3r0

Arcane

It takes a whole lot from fallout though game design wise. You can build your charecter however you want, there's perks, turn based combat with action points. Not super good story and not much choice and consequence but well. I definately enjoyed it more than any other kickstarted old school rpg. I guess I just dont understand how our tastes in games can differ as much as it does.
Someone can't play hardcore dungeon crawlers because of animu graphics, others can't roleplai if is not seriuz biznezz 2deep4u.

DeepOcean

Arcane

Vault Dweller

Developer
My point was that TB doesn't represent any financial risks. It's simply something that publishers don't want to invest into because TB games don't sell bajillion copies like Skyrim, Diablo, and Dragon Age. It's a very viable choice for a studio that doesn't need publishers' money. KS didn't change that. It simply provided more 'small time' money for studios willing to make TB games.

DeepOcean

Arcane
My point was that TB doesn't represent any financial risks. It's simply something that publishers don't want to invest into because TB games don't sell bajillion copies like Skyrim, Diablo, and Dragon Age. It's a very viable choice for a studio that doesn't need publishers' money. KS didn't change that. It simply provided more 'small time' money for studios willing to make TB games.
That is a recognized truth now but that was far from obvious at the begining of 2012, Swen pledged something like 4 or 3 million dollars, I don't remember, and bet his belgian head to investors guillotines before he even knew that D:OS could sell so much. Before the kickstarter age, you just have a parade of RtwP PC RPG games and the few that weren't, were major flops or sold way too low to keep a company like Larian running. Even Swen tought is was crazy to bet on D:OS at that time but he wanted to make a Larian TB Ultima VII clone anyway...

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Instead of arguing about whether D:OS was risky or not, it'd be more interesting to learn why Vault Dweller wasn't able to bring himself to play it. I don't believe he's ever quite gone into detail about that.

(Feel free to do it in another thread, too. :M)

Last edited:

Vault Dweller

Developer
That is a recognized truth now but that was far from obvious at the begining of 2012, Swen pledged something like 4 or 3 million dollars...
Small potatoes compared to 25-30 mil budget Feargus was asking for or 50-100 mil budgets AAA games get.

Turn-based RPGs sell. There is a market for them. Nobody's ever argued otherwise. The problem is that this market is relatively small and the big payoff has always been associated with RT games. To double Larian's investment, they needed to sell 200,000 copies, which isn't a lot. They ended up doing way better and good for them.

Even Swen tought is was crazy to bet on D:OS at that time but he wanted to make a Larian TB Ultima VII clone anyway...
I would have been VERY surprised if an established company like Larian (brand and a large existing customer base) couldn't sell 200,000 copies of a co-op game, be it RT or TB.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom