Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I think the game is allright, but I am reserving final judgement until I find the time to properly finish it. I dislike the engagment system (done for with IE mod) and the dry writing/retarded lingo of the game. These are valid complaints.

However I simply can't take a reviewer serious when I have read so many retarded posts of him in the poe threads beforehand. Which is a shame, because I usually like Roxors style of criticism.

Rpguy

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
Every bad thing you mentioned about the game is spot on, in that sense it was a great review. However it is not an awful game, it is fun to play, better than a lot of the alternatives today...

bonescraper

Suxor makes some good points, but he's obviously trying too hard. He has no consistency at all. That's the guy who adores Shadowrun: Daggerfall, a game that's fails even harder at every point PoE fails at. Daggerfall has great writing, setting and presentation, but everything else is shallow and simpistic. It's entirely linear, forces you into powergaming, has no reactivity, shit character system, abysmal itemization, almost no exploration etc. But it's a better game in his mind, because of his inner feelz, so there's that. Thankfully, i don't come here for reviews or opinions.

Dragonfall didn't have nearly the same resources.
So? Look at Serpent in the Staglands and Dragon Age Inquisition.

I thought we're comparing RPGs here, not fucking budgets or work efficiency.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Great review, but it seems like it's trying too hard to be "objective", perhaps giving points for participation. I don't think it was trying to be edgy at all, but rather handling the game with kiddie gloves. But still good to see something that is more or less calling out the game out on it's flaws. Despite the length there are still a lot of serious systemic, design and creativity flaws that could have been elaborated on, as well as a lot of broken basic functionalities that could have been noted.

There was great controversy in the content forum about whether Roxor had properly addressed the amount of bugs that currently plague the game, from secretly resetting difficulty settings to active effects (still) getting permanently wiped. Ultimately, it was decided that his vision of the game be honored without major edits.

RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In
Combat was more fun most of the time in Dragonfall. It also had a lot less filler content, almost no fedex quests, companion quests always had satisfying resolutions, and were generally more engaging despite being only single missions, mission locations were better designed than dungeons in PoE. Overall it had less good things than PoE, but at least you didn't have to go through total shit to get to them.

Carrion

Arcane
Patron
Do you? In practice, how often did character's health get to his endurance level before fatigue kicked in (and you had to rest anyway)?
Durance, my glass cannon rogue and especially Aloth, quite often actually. The rest, not so much. Then again, I did put a few points into Athletics for every character, which meant that fatigue was never an issue and I usually only stopped to rest when someone's health was getting low.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
Combat was more fun most of the time in Dragonfall. It also had a lot less filler content, almost no fedex quests, companion quests always had satisfying resolutions, and were generally more engaging despite being only single missions, mission locations were better designed than dungeons in PoE. Overall it had less good things than PoE, but at least you didn't have to go through total shit to get to them.

The Great-to-shit ratio in DF blows PoE out of the water.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Angry Joe and IGN rate PoE higher than the offical codex review
2ex7mag.jpg

Roguey

Sawyerism is over
2ebvmfs.jpg

Where is the video review?
Here

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
If I am so stupid then link me posts from you where you actually reply to Grunker in the thread I mentionend?

Unless ofcourse 'youar a dumb' makes for a convincing argument there

I'm too lazy to look for specific posts in the megathread, but my point back then was that the game gets so ridonk easy down the line that I could select all -> left click through almost everything beyond act 1. And then some faggots suddenly started piling strawmen on me by listing Act 1 encounters saying "LUL TRY TO AUTOPILOT THRU DAT", which was completely unrelated to anything I said. It was then that I realised it was time to jet from the discussion before I pop a blood vessel.

WhiteGuts

Arcane
Suxor makes some good points, but he's obviously trying too hard. He has no consistency at all. That's the guy who adores Shadowrun: Daggerfall, a game that's fails even harder at every point PoE fails at. Daggerfall has great writing, setting and presentation, but everything else is shallow and simpistic. It's entirely linear, forces you into powergaming, has no reactivity, shit character system, abysmal itemization, almost no exploration etc. But it's a better game in his mind, because of his inner feelz, so there's that. Thankfully, i don't come here for reviews or opinions.

Dragonfall didn't have nearly the same resources.
So? Look at Serpent in the Staglands and Dragon Age Inquisition.

I thought we're comparing RPGs here, not fucking budgets or work efficiency.

Sure we are, but you really have to be quite dense not to take budgets into consideration.

Dragonfall is a better game than PoE because it accomplishes most of what it set out to do, eventhough it's way smaller in scope.

TheGreatOne

Arcane
Dragonfall is a better game than PoE because it accomplishes most of what it set out to do, eventhough it's way smaller in scope.
Which is ironically how Roguey defines a good RPG. So an unambitious tablet game is a way better RPG than Sawyer's magnum Opus according to Sawyer/Roguey logic.

shadow9d9

Learned
Every bad thing you mentioned about the game is spot on, in that sense it was a great review. However it is not an awful game, it is fun to play, better than a lot of the alternatives today...

This is the way I tend to look at these things. You can still really enjoy something while acknowledging its flaws. For some people, the flaws may be enough for them not to like it, while others will still like it despite its flaws. We don't need to ignore the flaws just because we like something.

Lol, figures this forum would totally worship D:OS and call this game "lifeless, uninspired husk". Why am I surprised?

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
This is the way I tend to look at these things. You can still really enjoy something while acknowledging its flaws. For some people, the flaws may be enough for them not to like it, while others will still like it despite its flaws. We don't need to ignore the flaws just because we like something.

The problem is that for Roxor this is the worst Obsidian game that ever came out, which is just ridiculous.

ERYFKRAD

Barbarian
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

The problem is that for Roxor this is the worst Obsidian game that ever came out, which is just ridiculous.
Which is the worst Obsidian game, according to you then? Curious really, haven't played all of them.

Weasel
Lol, figures this forum would totally worship D:OS and call this game "lifeless, uninspired husk". Why am I surprised?

Both games split community opinion and attracted both praise and criticism. As DU said, it's not like there's always a hivemind consensus.

Xenich

Cipher
So I guess the honeymoon is over eh? Such a contrast to the release thread. /derp

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
J9mzRsP.jpg

Yes, the "original" language really bothered me. Along with the communist mmo stats and mechanics, ton of trash combat, blatant dnd copypasta, bugs and loading barriers.

But still, I wouldn't call the game shit. I got kinda hooked in the begining enjoyed it enough to finish it at least, unlike DOS. Not worth a replay, but decent.

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Which is ironically how Roguey defines a good RPG. So an unambitious tablet game is a way better RPG than Sawyer's magnum Opus according to Sawyer/Roguey logic.

Which is stupid because following that logic Skyrim is better than Arcanum, wait that's what Roguey actually believes, carry on.

Last edited:

Ramireza

Savant
I would LOVE to see the codex how they would rate games like Fallout, Baldurs Gate und Plancescape directly after their release.

Zboj Lamignat

Arcane
Holy crap, yeah, don't know how I forgot to mention that, but the amount of weird meta stuff in this game, topped off with some downright ridiculous things like one of the achievement icons being a miniature of Sawyer's mug... If anyone shits on Fallout 2 for breaking his precious immersion and thinks PoE is good then he's both an idiot and a hypocrite.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom