Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Darth Roxor on Disappointment, thy name is Pillars of Eternity

Reject_666_6

Arcane
I love how the bar for this game is steadily dropping... First it was expected to be the next BG2 and rated 10/10 on release, then everyone was arguing about it's merits relative to BG1 with most people seeming to think it was mostly a bad imitation, and now the point of comparison has dropped to DAO, which it is apparently a worse version of... Never has the decline been so quick. :lol::lol::lol:
[Perception] You must be mistaken, half the posts here say it's a 10/10 masterpiece.

karnak

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Strap Yourselves In I helped put crap in Monomyth
BigGKK5.gif

On the image above: Pillars of Eternity and Dragon Age - the two great colossus of videogaming, both competing to defend the solid and venerable structure of CRPGs.

jewboy

Arbiter
Did SawyerMan let his opinion be known on Dragon Age? He may also think it was an improvement on the Baldurs Gate series in every way. In fact that seems pretty likely since people say he hated BG2. Roguey would probably know.

Grinning Reaper

ITT, idiots who hate PoE forcefully drawing comparisons between PoE and DA:O in order to insult PoE, and then using the fact that everyone is supposedly comparing them to say how much PoE sucks. Talk about circular reasoning.

Seari

Arcane
Patron
Pathfinder: Wrath
ITT, idiots who hate PoE forcefully drawing comparisons between PoE and DA:O in order to insult PoE, and then using the fact that everyone is supposedly comparing them to say how much PoE sucks. Talk about circular reasoning.
Or maybe I just enjoy DA:O more.

set

Cipher
There's no way DA:O is better than PoE. At least PoE's class system allows for variety. You have three fucking classes in DA:O and you're railroaded in each of them. The extra subclasses you find do little to make a difference, to boot. DA:O's itemization is also way more awful.

Grinning Reaper

Or maybe I just enjoy DA:O more.
Well then I wasn't talking about you. You're not using circular reasoning, the idiots I was referring to are. You just have bad taste in games, which is fine :)

jewboy

Arbiter
Just because you think PoE is a better game than DA:O does not make it so and the comparison is anything but forced. It was a comparison that was absolutely begging to be made: the spiritual successor to the Baldurs Gate series from both Bioware and from Obsidian but updated with modern mechanics. Sister companies with a very long history and with exactly the same (stated) intention in both cases. I cannot imagine a more obvious comparison.

Grinning Reaper

Just because you think PoE is a better game than DA:O does not make it so and the comparison is anything but forced. It was a comparison that was absolutely begging to be made: the spiritual successor to the Baldurs Gate series from both Bioware and from Obsidian but updated with modern mechanics. Sister companies with a very long history and with exactly the same (stated) intention in both cases. I cannot imagine a more obvious comparison.

Comparing it to the games it set out to imitate: BG1, IWD, and PS:T, seems like a more obvious comparison to me. Comparing it to trash like DA and then saying that people making the comparison proves that it's equally as shit is circular reasoning. In other words, you could be right (you're not ;)), but your argument is shit. If you still don't get it, google is your friend.

Jools

Eater of Apples
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Insert Title Here Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, DA:O is better at being a banalshitboring nobrainer ARPG than PoE is at being "Baldur's Gate 3". But, if we want to step back and consider both just RPGs, yeah, there is no way DA:O is better than Pillars of Mediocrity.

Last edited:

Dorateen

Arcane
Obsidian already made their spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. It's called the Neverwinter Nights 2 OC.

What they ought to have done with PoE is go full Icewind Dale, since it is truer to their design heritage.

Last edited:

jewboy

Arbiter
Comparing a game to what it set out to imitate is not a fair comparison. Of course that's going to make PoE look like shit just as it would for DA:O. At least give PoE a fighting chance ffs. It makes more sense to compare it to what it is most similar too and that would be the other spiritual successor. Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale and Planescape:Torment are very old games with very old gaming mechanics and the play style is nothing like either of the two spiritual successors and it was never intended to be. That is why it is a called a spiritual successor rather than just a sequel.

jewboy

Arbiter
Obsidian already made their spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. It's called the Neverwinter Night's OC.

No. NWN was a special multiplayer project intended to mimick real PnP D&D on a computer. It was intended to be multiplayer with player created dungeons. It was never supposed to be BG3 or any sort of spiritual successor either. It was a cool idea that ended up being a bit overly ambitious. Dragon Age was the only project that was intended to replace the single player cRPG series that was Baldur's Gate. A lot of us Biodrones at the time were super hyped for a sort of BG3 in spirit and I guess for some people that is exactly what Dragon Age was.

Grinning Reaper

Comparing a game to what it set out to imitate is not a fair comparison. Of course that's going to make PoE look like shit just as it would for DA:O. At least give PoE a fighting chance ffs. It makes more sense to compare it to what it is most similar too and that would be the other spiritual successor. Baldurs Gate and Icewind Dale and Planescape:Torment are very old games with very old gaming mechanics and the play style is nothing like either of the two spiritual successors and it was never intended to be. That is why it is a called a spiritual successor rather than just a sequel.

None of this addresses the rampant and idiotic circle-jerk of A. let's compare DA:O to PoE. followed by B. People are comparing DA:O to PoE, therefore PoE is shit. So, keep deflecting and ignoring the actual point I made, hopefully it works out for you. Furthermore, DA:O was intended as a spiritual successor to the BG series, PoE was intended as a game inspired by three specific and very different IE games: BG1, IWD, and PS:T. Even if you do include BG2 and IWD2 for some reason, drawing from these vastly different games is a vastly different goal than drawing inspiration from the BG series alone. So, again, the comparison is somewhat forced. Also, it's irrelevant to my original point about the retarded circular reasoning, which you keep ignoring.

jewboy

Arbiter
Comparing it to the games it set out to imitate: BG1, IWD, and PS:T, seems like a more obvious comparison to me. Comparing it to trash like DA and then saying that people making the comparison proves that it's equally as shit is circular reasoning. In other words, you could be right (you're not ;)), but your argument is shit. If you still don't get it, google is your friend.

Since it seems that you may be specifically referring to me show me where *I* actually make that circular argument. I think you are the one who needs Google. I never made any such argument. All I have done is pointed out the obvious comparison just because it's so fucking obvious and a lot more fair to PoE. It doesn't look like such a bad game when compared to Dragon Age does it? I mean ffs comparing it to games like Planescape: Torment, which by your argument this game *should* be compared to is just absurd. And comparisons to BG1 and IWD1 are not much better.

Lhynn

Arcane
PoE is better than DA:O, how would it fare if it was compared to IWD2 tho? i never finished that game, couldnt stomach it.

Dorateen

Arcane
Obsidian already made their spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate. It's called the Neverwinter Night's OC.

No. NWN was a special multiplayer project intended to mimick real PnP D&D on a computer. It was intended to be multiplayer with player created dungeons. It was never supposed to be BG3 or any sort of spiritual successor either. It was a cool idea that ended up being a bit overly ambitious. Dragon Age was the only project that was intended to replace the single player cRPG series that was Baldur's Gate. A lot of us Biodrones at the time were super hyped for a sort of BG3 in spirit and I guess for some people that is exactly what Dragon Age was.

I should have clarified Neverwinter Nights 2, not the original. When Sawyer took over the design of NWN2, there was deliberate intention to place more focus in the single player campaign, compared to its predecessor. The addition of companions and full party control was a step closer to the Baldur's Gate model. Many disappointed fans complained that it played more like Baldur's Gate than NWN, and cited an underwhelming multiplayer support and lack of persistent worlds.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
PoE pretty clearly beats PS:T on build variety and character creation options.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom