Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Review: Blackguards

A very satisfying and informative read. Darth Roxor has come a long way from his early redundant opinion pieces and the feedback from felipepepe adds a lot. I have avoided reading most of the newsposts and threads about this game so I knew practically nothing worth a damn about it. Now I leave quite informed, knowing what to expect and interested. Previously, I was thinking "hmm, looks mildly interesting, will probably wait for a steep discount". I won't wait, now.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nice review, bros. The game's definitely on my to-play list, although seeing as it takes 30+ hours, not in the near future.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Well, it IS a combat-oriented game... they already have more "unique" combats than any other RPG, more of that and you're playing a RPG wishing for a Adventure game.

Even in P&P, where the sky is the limit, combay is usually killing stuff... even for a matter of pacing; make every encounter "special" and you'll have players tired of "special" and wishing for a goblin to kill.

Severian Silk

As to the inquiry, what kind of encounters can be better, well, the sky is the limit, isn't it?
Only HHR! is permitted evade questions like that. Are you HHR!? No, sir, you are not. I am dissapoint. :rpgcodex:

Last edited by a moderator:

circ

Arcane
Into chapter 2 you notice that there isn't anything else to the game except the battles. And considering this uses some old Dark Eye ruleset, it gets pe-retty boring.

Positives - music isn't half bad.

Some additional negatives - looks pe-retty bad for something that takes a whopping 18 gigs of space - almost more than my Skyrim install after mods. Did they compress a single thing?
Hardly any customization for your character and no race choices. Weird lag in some cutscenes. Really, really, reeeally bad voice acting. Pretty clunky as hell UI. Completely lost interest in the story - and shit's on rails. How can loading new assets take so long when said assets look like ass-wipe? - it's not eons or anything but enough to make you wonder. Can't rotate battlefield either - surprised they even bothered adding horizontal rotation.

Eh so, if you're just going to concentrate on the combat engine and half-ass away on the rest of the game atleast play ToEE and try to emulate that combat 'k?

Mediocre suck. Flame all you want fanbois.

circ

Arcane
Iunno, got no complaints about setting.

But oh boy as if endless combat in gladiator arena wasn't fun enough, you have to start over when the lice queen decides to start eating the chick with the wooden helmet, and Niam was a pretty good asset. No thanks ma'am.

Eyeball

Arcane
Trying to work my way through this in a more serious attempt now. It absolutely and definitely is an adventure or puzzle game posing as an RPG. Up to the "rescue Baroness McGuffin" fight now. There is a very specific solution to rescuing her in time. This does not require strategy, it involves solving the puzzle. And if you fail even a single attack or spell roll, that's it, you fail. This is NOT good RPG design.

Impression still unfavourable.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
This does not require strategy, it involves solving the puzzle. And if you fail even a single attack or spell roll, that's it, you fail. This is NOT good RPG design.

Bullshit. There is plenty of leeway.

Not to mention that it is a completely optional fight. You can fail it.

That's good RPG design.

Last edited:

Eyeball

Arcane
Yeah, that's true and I agree with it being optional is a good thing. It is still a puzzle though, of the kind that I dislike: seeing as you have very low skills at that point in the game, you more or less need successes on all your skill checks to succeed in rescuing the baroness due to the short time limit. Several of the other battles worked the same way and I hope for this to become less obvious further into the game.

Managed to rescue her on like my 5th go, but only because I'd "solved" it by then.

I DO like it when the battles troll you, though: the stalactites falling on my main character killing her outright in the cave fight was hilarious. Didn't notice the dripping water markers until it was too late.

Mystary!

Arcane
What do skillchecks have to do with it? All you need to do is cross the bridge, use one character to bumrush it, ignore everyone else until you cross.

Eyeball

Arcane
In my case, fail to cast spell to clear barrels on turn 1 = baroness hangs.

Markman

da Blitz master
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
So? Fail the quest. You lose 50 AP I think. Not the end of the world. I can imagine the anxiety when you get the twins sidequest, holy shit. OMG gaem not fair

Jinn

Arcane
As the review suggests, Agame, Blackguards is absolutely worth playing. It's an excellent tactical RPG.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom