Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Review: Battle Brothers

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, May 12, 2017.

1. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Easier to just put a Battle Brothers banner if you want to advertise it on the codex.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Why the fuck would you care about a review of a game you already bought you subhuman. What kind of retarded argument is this even.

• Funny x 5
    • Brofist x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Maxiegender: ⚧ Erudite

Maxie
    Parrots:
    to validate oneself and feel the reviewer's warm and manly hand pat you on the back

• Funny x 6
    • nice x 2
    • Agree x 2
    • No x 1
    • Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. commiegender: ⚧ The Last Marxist Patron

commie
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Divinity: Original Sin 2
    'Sup Ovehype?

Strangely though, the Codex Curator has already recommended this:

"Lead a mercenary company in this open world sandbox strategy-RPG. Think Mount & Blade with turn-based tactical combat and a unique board game aesthetic. Recommended"

Dissension in the ranks? What's funnier is that the 'curator' which I guess is Infinitron, doesn't even have the game yet is recommending it.

So Dickstabber, you should know that the 'zero hours' argument works both ways :lol:

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    • Brofist x 3
    • Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Janisegender: ⚧ Unwanted

Unwanted
    Parrots:
    I just wanted to shit on Roxors borderline idiotic comparisons with olden Xcom:

There is no logical connection between 'sense' and 'randomiSing rookie stats' in any game. Thats moronic reasoning.
    Also, rooks in Xcom dont have similar stat ranges. BY FAR. And if we are doing misplaced comparison, its even worse. Rooks in Xcom vary by a lot by the single fucking fact of Psy... Roxor, u r moran. Tru story.
    I repeat, there is no coherent design reason to abhor BB's hiding of stats.

In Xcom, gear doesnt matter. End of story. Xcom can be fucking OWNED!1 by rooks with rifles. You cant own BBs orks with rooks.

In Xcom medium or large scount dont matter. Levels dont matter. NONTHING varies in Xcom. I can roflfucking stomp aliens as long as they dont field Psy shit. In BB I cant rolfstomp people.

If you consider Xenonauts before BB you are literally braindead. End of sad story. Really. No HAIPERBAULL.

Granted, BB ironman loses its appeal after about 30 hours, in that I agree, but until your dudes hit level 9 and teh grind becomes untolerable, the game holds your interest pretty well.

• Salute x 4
    • nice x 3
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Excidium IIgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    It's p. funny that someone who's been desperate to invalidate the review writing yuge walls of multi-quotes grasping at straws about the mechanics has the nerve to call others fangirls.

• retadred x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • covfefe x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. DramaticPopcorngender: ⚧ Guest

DramaticPopcorn
    Too many autists flinging shit at each other ITT

Computer games are for kids by the way :positive:

DramaticPopcorn rolled 6-sided di(c)e: 5 Total: 19
    DramaticPopcorn rolled 6-sided di(c)e: Total: 48
    • Funny x 3
    • Edgy x 3
    • Old x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • nice x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Love! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    It was Angthoron or Zed I think.

• Informative Informative x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Roxor fucking sucks, that's what I read in the review. We deserve no good things, more XCOM is what we deserve if we review gems like Battle Brothers like that.

• butthurt x 5
    • Agree x 4
    • Funny x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Starwarsgender: ⚧ Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    This review got me so excited for the game that I had to buy it.

• Salute x 8
    • incline x 5
    • Funny x 3
    • Edgy x 1
    • Win! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. almondblightgender: ⚧ Arcane

almondblight
    Parrots:
    Well, it's true. Some of the things in there are simply wrong.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. aweighgender: ⚧ Arcane

aweigh
    Parrots:
    i can only understand codex reviews if the game is scored in comparison to pillars of eternity

• Funny x 7
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Sarissofoigender: ⚧ Learned

Sarissofoi
    Parrots:
    The review is right in most parts and even when its not exactly right its close.
    The game is essentially a combat demo and was build just by adding stuff around combat.
    I was observing this game from the start and to be honest I was really hyped when it start. The development process kill all hope and now I m forever salty.
    The tempo of the game was slowed and rewards from combat were diminished, funny and overpowered builds and most of synergies were culled making game really not fun to play.
    Its truly encourage grinding and discourage taking risks.
    Game is encouraged to play on Ironman but its mechanics work against it.
    I still have old builds stored on hard drive and they are actually more fun and what is worse they have more simulation going around that the final ones. Which is a shame.
    Most mechanics added just function as a noise around company as it barely effect other parties.
    Player is only actor and whole world move around him.

After I finished the final campaign I have no will to come back. And what is worse it was kind of relief that I was wiped.

• Informative Informative x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Jimmiousgender: ⚧ Magister

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Notice that Sarissofoi has played approximately 1000 hours of the game. Possibly the worst kind of masochist according to the review.

• Funny x 6
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. luj1gender: ⚧ Savant

luj1
    Parrots:
    Brutal reviews are good.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    • Nuke it from orbit Nuke it from orbit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Sarissofoigender: ⚧ Learned

Sarissofoi
    Parrots:
    Well you are right but...
    Most of it was in previous old builds(the ones that were actually faster and more fun) and it was over long time. Heck I played a lot of on combat demo when it was just few scenarios to kill some skeletons.
    Each build was adding new stuff and I was eager to test it and also still full of hope that some of the parts of the game were just a placeholder.
    Not even mention that I just like the games I like and play them until I have enough and them come back later. So the games I like I play a lot.
    Master of Orion(the first and the best), UFO:Defense(currently open and modded version), Starsector(former Starfarer), Settlers 2(well yeah), Kohan I played a much more than 1000 hours. And I still have urge to play it more from time to time.
    Battle Brothers do not have it. The final build I played mostly because I started YT gameplay and it was more on frustrating end than fun. So this 20-30 hours as stated by reviewer hit the mark. Not even mention that my early hours of game were inflated by craptop I played and lack of any game speed enhancing device(seriously 20 zombies in swamps with rain could take easily more than hour time).
    Also game is plain example when lore or what developers state and game itself are different thing.
    Game is supposedly be played on Ironman and player is expected to take risks and lose sometime but there goes slow leveling, lack of experienced recruits to replace your veterans and lousy rewards. Its not FTL when you can lose or win game in 1-2 hours and start a new run. Its more like grinding(because game can be unfair and if yous seriously play Ironman you can lose men just because) and then you take risky battle and lose some veterans and you go back to not so easy grind to just level some guys to fill losses. And rewards and pay are just insulting.
    Game would be more fun if its go FTL route.
    -short, fast scenarios where you can lose men easy, but taking risk is actually rewarding and after finishing them you get unlocks:new maps, new map options, new starting companies, more map customization options etc.
    Now its mostly grind and what is worse its have little to zero effect on the global map.
    Oh you kill 30 bandits in ambush and destroy their camp with 20 more that terrorized nearby settlements - does not matter as in 5 days when you are coming back they are back.
    Of course its vicious cycle of nerf synergy.
    In early builds it was easy to make money from contracts, it was nerfed, then players switch to making money by repairing and selling loot, nerfed again, now money is a problem as player can not afford walking around and look for enemy or contracts so towns start giving contracts that spawn enemy sites, that was pointed as immersion breaking but now enemy spawn rate is high and well what you have are plenty of low risk combat with low rewards that still can kill your mercs from time to time and if you try risky combat then you better have big amount of cash and recruits to replace losses as risky combat is unprofitable(or savescum).
    All of this lead to tiring gameplay.
    And there is level scaling.
    Game is not bad. For current year is pretty decent actually. Worth the money, still a disappointment.

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Informative Informative x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. setgender: ⚧ Erudite

set
    Parrots:
    For $30 you get a competent turn-based hex battle system and nothing else. Accurate review is pretty accurate.

It sort of resembles a 2D turn-based Mount & Blade, except it lacks a lot of significant features (like mods, multiplayer, and greater faction management). The game is very vanilla and in dire need of some extra layers of design. And yeah, we don't need C&C here, but even Mount & Blade let me feel more like I was roleplaying in a fantasy war-torn land. I'm just sort of aimlessly wandering about in BB, there's almost no reason to keep grinding. Nothing incentivizes me to explore any given direction. I can't carve out a kingdom for myself. I kill some bandits and then I'm let loose to continue doing that for as long as I like...

As a game, it's definitely missing a lot of reasons to keep playing it, but it got the battle system right so I guess that makes it 3/5 stars? But to be honest, I'd rather play Mount & Blade again, it's not like the turn-based combat in this trumps the faster-paced action-packed 200 actor battles I can have in that game.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Doctor Sbaitsogender: ⚧ SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands
    So in hindsight and after squeezing every ounce of fun out of the game you say it's not fun. Who does that remind me me of? Are you one of these 1337 hour thumbs down steam reviewers?

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Irenaeusgender: ⚧ Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Solid first post, Janice.

• Agree x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Sarissofoigender: ⚧ Learned

Sarissofoi
    Parrots:
    No. Also this 1337 hours are inflated by initiative battle system and AI taking time 'thinking' about movement. I must admit that before speed hack I used to read book on enemy turn(but initiative based system is not great for that).
    To be honest earlier builds were more fun to play even if unbalanced and not having many 'features' that was added earlier. Bloat strikes again.
    As I said game is worth the money but have plenty of weak points that not make it great.
    Overall Early access is a mistake.
    I bet I would have different opinion if I did not follow this game from beginning.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  21. Doctor Sbaitsogender: ⚧ SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands
    The 1337 hour number is just me referring to someone else. In fairness you're nothing like that guy.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Lambchop19gender: ⚧ Arcane

Lambchop19
    Parrots:
    Shout out to Darth Roxor for the culling. The cult convinced me to buy and I burnt out around the 25 hour mark too. Kept trying though, but the lack of any story or reason to continue playing whack-a-mole with various enemies made me give up again. May try again eventually. I dunno.

Even a flimsy story would have been a reason for me to care.

samey levels were another annoying thing. I expected my attacks on forts to be...attacks on forts, not yet another battle in a field.

it's looking like never since there is no mod support.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Despair Despair x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Make America Great Again Eyestabbergender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    Everyone cares about the public perception of a game they enjoy. We want good ideas to succeed and bad ones to fail, basically. Check the many threads about reviews of AoD and Underrail. Those have been discussed at length by ppl who had been playing those games since Beta/EA. So...what kind of retarded argument are you trying to make? Nigga, please. I'd much rather be a "BB Fanboy" than Darth Roxor's personal bitch. :lol:

Reviewing stuff is not really my thing. I have yet to write one for AoD (I know, I know :negative:). You already know I like the game so I don't think I would add much by writing a review. If you consider it a "borefest" than It's highly unlikely that I'll be able to change your mind. When push comes to shove, the reason why I like BB boils down to core gameplay mechanics aka the thing you're doing 90% of the time.

In his desperate attempt to defend his lover's honor, Excidium completely missed the several quotes I made on the review and stated "yeah, that's right". So my review would basically just say "yeah, it has all those problems Roxor said, but 1) it's not that big a deal and 2) he is completely wrong about perks/stats/mechanics in general, those are really fun and well designed".

If you or anyone else cares about my opinion, here is the gist of it: I like games based on how much I enjoy their core gameplay mechanics (and by that I usually mean "combat" and preparing for MORE combat) + how much challenge those games present AND how many options the game gives me to defeat those challenges. Battle Brothers delivers that and so much more. Whenever you think "ok, NOW we're invincible" the game presents you a new challenge, forcing you to sink or swim. Something like this:

"Are you done with killing Orc Youngs? Then meet their bigger and nastier brothers, the Warriors. OH, and that spearwall thing you used to ROFLSTOMP young orcs? Yeah, good luck using that again!" :P

For some people the fun will stop after they have seen the game pull all the tricks it can pull. But by then you already had like 30-50 hours of fun. For people like me, who simply REALLY enjoy killing things, there is no real upper limit. Burnout is the only limit. I have experimented with tons of different builds, different tactics and it has all been good fun. My longest campaign lasted around 550 days but on YT you will easily find dudes with THOUSANDS of days in their games. Like this dude:

But, yeah: if you actually played the game and had zero fun killing Hoggart the Weasel + a couple other encounters then you will NOT like this game, period. The good old "it gets better" argument is NOT applicable here.

I'm as close to the Administration™ as marxism is close to being an ideology for mentally sane people. I have no say in the Curator thing.

As much as I don't feel disappointed with the release version, all the things this guy said are true. In EA the game used to be WAY faster and camps/armies were rarer. Some people complained about the length (or lack thereof) and they went overboard with "fixing" the problem. I think they are aware of the grind issue, maybe 1.1 will "debloat" things a bit. I also agree with the "not very rewarding" part.

I also feel like they screwed up with magical (or "unique") items since those only show up in shops and VERY arbitrarily in camps. I remember getting an awesome noble armor after whacking some skeletons in a not very challenging fight and then getting some rotten meat + some trade goods after killing an orc warlord + his army and burning down his camp. RNG >>>> actual challenge when it comes to giving out rewards.

Last edited: May 15, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Salute Salute x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Make America Great Again Lambchop19gender: ⚧ Arcane

Lambchop19
    Parrots:
    as an unofficial memeber of the codex staff (meaning that I have made many sad and pathetic attempts to become staff and been cruelly ignored - btw, i see it coming and pls don't change my username to staff), I can tell you that the curator has never met an RPG it could not recommend. it is an RPG whore.

• Funny x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. crueliogender: ⚧ Learned

cruelio
    Parrots:
    It's hard to fault the curator for anything since to this day this very website gives front page space to any kickstarter flop whose brand manager will post on the forum for five seconds.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disgusting! Disgusting! x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)