Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Review: Baldur's Gate: Siege of Dragonspear

DeepOcean

Arcane
Beamdog should have learned from the D:OS example of how RTwP titles just can't compete with proper Turn Based.

All the Dragon Age games have significantly outsold D:OS. :M
Wot? High production value popamole games with a ton of publisher marketing sold better than D:OS? That was unexpected.

ST'Ranger

Augur
The quality of a game is definitely determined by the amount of dollars it made rather than its inherent qualities and whether it will stand the test of time...

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
The baldur's gate 1, 2 enhanced editions, icewind dale enhanced editions, well pretty much everything beamdog produces have been suddendly and simultaneously added to the curator list . However i noticed siege of dragonspear wasnt! You cant even do advertisement and company cocksucking properly codex, you missed their last release...

I was waiting for you to notice that!

Siege of Dragonspear is a DLC. It cannot be curated.

And here I thought you still had some shred of decency and were withholding curation based on the quality of the game.
Good see that our shillitron is still kicked up into high gear.

:love:

Well, they say there's no such thing as bad publicity...

Oh look 4 unconfirmed sales..Every company should do this. It's so lucrative.

Last edited:

Tacgnol

Shitlord
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Grab the Codex by the pussy RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I really doubt all this controversy did their sales any good.

At the height of the controversy, the steam store page was getting a lot of impressions, but the game was going further and further down the top seller list.

Immortal

Arcane
In My Safe Space
Yeah, I really doubt all this controversy did their sales any good.

At the height of the controversy, the steam store page was getting a lot of impressions, but the game was going further and further down the top seller list.

All publicity is good publicity only works for attracting eyes.
Asking people to pay for something is a whole different issue.

If I make a product that killed 12 people.. and it's on the 8 o'clock news and everyone knows the brand name and company who made it.. sure I might be very popular and get free "advertising" but I don't think people will line up outside my jail cell to buy their own copy.

The lack of common sense around here is staggering sometimes - although I think Athelas is smart enough to know that and was being facetious.

Black

Arcane
If I make a product that killed 12 people.. and it's on the 8 o'clock news and everyone knows the brand name and company who made it.. sure I might be very popular and get free "advertising" but I don't think people will line up outside my jail cell to buy their own copy.
What if that product is a gun

*-*/\--/\~

Cipher
Oh boy, I just finished BG1 and transitioned into this railroady shit. First, they take all your levelled companions and force you into a few select others, ruining your party composition. Instead of level 9 Khalid, you get level 1 Minsc, doh. Not to mention how retarded it is that my fireball-throwing Imoen, who I dual classed into a mage halfway in BG1 cannot go with me, because she "started learning magic now".

Then they take my 100 000 gold, claiming it has been used to "feed the poor" or some shit. Probably feeding them for next 60 years. This activistic heeeelp the poor refugeeeees seems to be the center of every damn quest i have seen so far.

Fuck off with that really, I'm off to get some cheating program and fix the mess. Think my goody two shoes max reputation party will turn into some evil murder machine, just in spite of all the crap forced upon me.

pippin

When you start BG2 they take your companions away and also your money, because you have to free Imoen or some shit. :smug:

Unwanted

Manmower

Unwanted
Edgy
But BG2 was actually a fun and well-made game, that, while not revolutionary, actually offered non-cringy (for the most part) writing and a lovable antagonist. What does SoD have? Gay gnomes and tranny clerics?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
But BG2 was actually a fun and well-made game, that, while not revolutionary, actually offered non-cringy (for the most part) writing and a lovable antagonist.

0eea7f7c06f7053535278d63793032d5.jpg

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Every character in BG2 is a stereotype. Edwin is the arrogant wizard villain. Minsc is the mongoloid fighter with good heart. And so on. Even the voice acting is bad with these horrible accents. In the video you posted I found this marvelous sentence from Minsc “The red wizard risks great harm. Boo is sensitive, and may not just go for the eyes!” Bunch of silly caricatures made for teenagers. If you don’t like BG2 when you are a teenager, you don’t have a heart. If you like BG2 when you are not a teenager, you don’t have a brain. The sad thing is that even when they try to implement serious stuff they are trown all over the place without any logic or relevance. Right at the beginning of Irenicus’ dungeon, you will find a genie making an indirect reference to the prisoner’s dilemma. That is awesome, right! Not really. Whatever answer you choose, you will have to kill things. The random stuff that is supposed to mean something is just a poor excuse to kill things. In fact, the whole game is is just an excuse to kill things. Out, out, linear cRPG! Wrote by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.

Last edited:

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
It's a fun game, is all. In my book fun games >> boring, prententious, pseudo-intellectual shlock.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Every character in BG2 is a stereotype. Edwin is the arrogant wizard villain. Minsc is the mongoloid fighter with good heart. And so on. Even the voice acting is bad with these horrible accents. In the video you posted I found this marvelous sentence from Minsc “The red wizard risks great harm. Boo is sensitive, and may not just go for the eyes!” Bunch of silly caricatures made for teenagers. If you don’t like BG2 when you are a teenager, you don’t have a heart. If you like BG2 when you are not a teenager, you don’t have a brain. The sad thing is that even when they try to implement serious stuff they are trown all over the place without any logic or relevance. Right at the beginning of Irenicus’ dungeon, you will find a genie making an indirect reference to the prisoner’s dilemma. That is awesome, right! Not really. Whatever answer you choose, you will have to kill things. The random stuff that is supposed to mean something is just a poor excuse to kill things. In fact, the whole game is is just an excuse to kill things. Out, out, linear cRPG! Wrote by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.
Confirmed! LurkerKing is not fun at parties!

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Ok, let’s take some inventory of the saga of a Baldurs-fag. The first spiritual successor is Dragon Age. Ok, less quests, spells and items, but better graphics and more romances. Then some opportunists decide to make an “enhanced” edition of the same game twenty years later. It’s the same game, but with more NPCs, more bugs and more inclusive romances. The suckers buy it, but bitch about it. As if this wasn’t enough, they decide to give millions in kickstarter for Pillars of Eternity. It will be a Baldurs Gate with better writing. Ok, whatever. Now, you have an interquel, with brand new content and stuff. It’s an expansion of the same idiotic game, with the same idiotic quests and writing, and they are bitching about it. I don’t know if they are complaining because they want to re-experience their fond memories of the first time they played the game, or it’s because it’s an inferior game. Maybe it’s both. In any case, it’s a sad sight.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
1. Every character in BG2 is a stereotype. Edwin is the arrogant wizard villain. Minsc is the mongoloid fighter with good heart. And so on. Even the voice acting is bad with these horrible accents. In the video you posted I found this marvelous sentence from Minsc “The red wizard risks great harm. Boo is sensitive, and may not just go for the eyes!” Bunch of silly caricatures made for teenagers.
2. If you don’t like BG2 when you are a teenager, you don’t have a heart. If you like BG2 when you are not a teenager, you don’t have a brain.
3. The sad thing is that even when they try to implement serious stuff they are trown all over the place without any logic or relevance.
4. Right at the beginning of Irenicus’ dungeon, you will find a genie making an indirect reference to the prisoner’s dilemma. That is awesome, right! Not really. Whatever answer you choose, you will have to kill things.
5. The random stuff that is supposed to mean something is just a poor excuse to kill things. In fact, the whole game is is just an excuse to kill things. Out, out, linear cRPG! Wrote by an idiot, full of sound and fury, Signifying nothing.

1. Most games/movies do that. I won't even bother with examples.
2. Stolen quote paraphrased. Nice.
3. Dunno what you are talking about the main story is pretty sound for a fantasy game. I would even say pretty good.
4. Definitely the main part of the story/game and definitely worth mentioning. Did you just go and start BG 2 for this conversation?

Last edited:
Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
1. Most games/movies do that. I won't even bother with examples.

But from the fact that most movies and game have shitty writing doesn’t follow that BG2’s writing is less shitty or justifiable. Instead, we should conclude that most movies and games, including BG2, should have better writing.

2. Stolen quote paraphrased. Nice.

If you are using a version of a quote whose original version everybody knows who the author is, you are not stealing anything.

3. Dunno what you are talking about the main story is pretty sound for a fantasy game.

You are assuming that if we are making a history about fictional characters, you don’t need any verisimilitude to make it good. This is false. Good fiction, whether in a fantasy setting or not, needs verisimilitude.

l3loodAngel

Proud INTJ
Patron
Edgy
Most games/movies do that. I won't even bother with examples.

But from the fact that most movies and game have shitty writing doesn’t follow that BG2’s writing is less shitty or justifiable. 1. Instead, we should conclude that most movies and games, including BG2, should have better writing.

Stolen quote paraphrased. Nice.

2. If you are using a version of a quote whose original version everybody knows who the author is, you are not stealing anything.

Dunno what you are talking about the main story is pretty sound for a fantasy game.

You are assuming that if we are making a history about fictional characters, you don’t need any verisimilitude to make it good. This is false. 3. Good fiction, whether in a fantasy setting or not, needs verisimilitude.

1. Yes, water is wet.
2. You assume too much.
3. I don't have a fucking clue what are talking about, but I guess its edgy, ingenious or whatever...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom