Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Retrospective: Roguey dismantles white privilege in Tim Cain's Temple of Elemental Evil

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
if Roguey thinks he's trolling somebody by making valid points about hot fungus women, well, I wish more trolls were like him.

To be fair that point was actually a valid one. It was the ethnoracism comment that was trying too hard to find something else to be SJW about.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I like the one-line jab at Bloodlines with no substantial statement to even put some weight into your words. Was that even necessary? What you said -- It's not even a statement, it's just trash talking Troika's work; their best work.

I absolutely adore Bloodlines. That it has flaws is not to say it's a bad product. It's one of my favorite things that's ever been gameified. It was a mention of a random other game that I like that doesn't explicitly invite "social consciousness" that can still be meaningfully criticized--not demonized, just criticized, like all the other million things wrong with it, as great as it is--on that level. Nice complete misreading, buddy.

It's kinda like the Bechdel test. The point of the Bechdel test isn't that any individual thing pass it: it's that -so many things- fail to. Failing the Bechdel test doesn't make your project sexist; the fact that -almost every project does- makes -us,- people in general, sexist, as a group.

crawlkill

Kill all boxed game owners. Kill! Kill!
I like the one-line jab at Bloodlines with no substantial statement to even put some weight into your words. Was that even necessary? What you said -- It's not even a statement, it's just trash talking Troika's work; their best work.

I absolutely adore Bloodlines. That it has flaws is not to say it's a bad product. It's one of my favorite things that's ever been gameified. It was a mention of a random other game that I like that doesn't explicitly invite "social consciousness" that can still be meaningfully criticized--not demonized, just criticized, like all the other million things wrong with it, as great as it is--on that level. Nice complete misreading, buddy.

It's kinda like the Bechdel test. The point of the Bechdel test isn't that any individual thing pass it: it's that -so many things- fail to. Failing the Bechdel test doesn't make your project sexist; the fact that -almost every project does- makes -us,- people in general, sexist, as a group.

oh, shit, there was actually a one-line jab in the main review. ignore me! I'd just mentioned Bloodlines, thought you were addressing me.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Only a spoiled brat that never worked a day in his life would say shit like this.
true. they deserved to lose their jobs because their games were buggy messes. :troll:
Bloodlines has nothing to do with ToEE, it bares how many similarities with the game? Other than it being made by Troika?
he's criticizing a trait of the developer by pointing it out in the given game, then mentioning that it is present in their other titles as well, so bloodlines also being made by troika is kinda the point and feature similarities are irrelevant, though giving actual examples would be better in that place.

DefJam101

Arcane
if Roguey thinks he's trolling somebody by making valid points about hot fungus women, well, I wish more trolls were like him.
Were there any posts in this thread defending the swimsuit model fungus monster? I don't remember seeing any. Anyone legitimately upset on account of such a shitty design being criticized is probably a big faggot

Some people on this forum do defend bikini boobplate art design but they're few and far between, I'd say.

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
I think people defend big boobs more than bikini boobplate.

In the latest Mythbusters episode, they did a test on the correlation between breast size and tips received at a cafe. Once the cup size went past a D, men tipped 30% more and women tipped 40% more.

It's not just men that like big boobs :P

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I think people defend big boobs more than bikini boobplate.

In the latest Mythbusters episode, they did a test on the correlation between breast size and tips received at a cafe. Once the cup size went past a D, men tipped 30% more and women tipped 40% more.

It's not just men that like big boobs :P
Wait so people tip on absurd whims instead of having a set tipping rate :what: ? I fucking hate most of people.

Sensuki

Arcane
I don't live in the US, down here tipping is uncommon and probably largely based on absurd whims.

I recall as a group, tipping abnormally good (but not overbearing) service and we (group of 6) tipped a waitress in New Zealand an extra $50 for having a great ass :lol:. But I literally have not tipped for 3 years or so.

Having great food beforehand obviously adds to a tipping state of mind as well. Unfortunately that probably doesn't reach the chefs a lot of the time.

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I don't live in the US, down here tipping is uncommon and probably largely based on absurd whims.

I recall as a group, tipping abnormally good (but not overbearing) service and we (group of 6) tipped a waitress in New Zealand an extra $50 for having a great ass :lol:. But I literally have not tipped for 3 years or so.

Having great food beforehand obviously adds to a tipping state of mind as well. Unfortunately that probably doesn't reach the chefs a lot of the time.
Fucking filth. Subsentient maggots.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
What is this thread about?

Feeding a Troll named Roguey?

Troika was the best game developer from 2001 to 2004.
Superb start: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (2001)
Flawed Gem: The Temple of Elemental Evil (2003) (-> Great game/combat engine, but mediocre story/characters)
One masterpiece: Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines (2004)
'nuff said.

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
Superb start: Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (2001)
shitty and useless rt combat, lots and lots of bugs, some of which bug out important npcs and prevent you from finishing the game.
Flawed Gem: The Temple of Elemental Evil (2003) (-> Great game/combat engine, but mediocre story/characters)
holy hell, the bugs, like having enemies spawn inside walls when resting and being unable do finish them off or leave combat.
One masterpiece: Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines (2004)
couldn't even be played through when it came out because of a typo in the script for a mandatory map. at least the other ones could (though toee required a substantial amount of luck or reloading in that regard).

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I'm really tired of all this casual bashing of random things by SJWs everywhere on the internet.
So calling someone exotic is racist? Fuck off, retard. Oh, was that offensive too? Eat shit, cunt.

So some girls in Bloodlines, living in some dystopian shabby and morally corrupt version of Santa Monica, are depicted as "sex objects"? I dunno, to me it seemed the female cast of this game was quite strong-willed and used their sex-appeal to their advantage.
You know, like self-confident and healthy adults who are not afraid of bigoted double standards expressed by some random idiots on the internet. And since family values and stuff aren't that big in Bloodlines fictional gameworld I don't see what's to criticise. Perfect portrayal of a rundown society where everyone has to look out for themselves first and foremost.

Somehow it seems to me that since every female on this planet could claim to be a feminist (you know, that political and cultural movement that wants to discuss serious and sophisticated stuff concerning the foundation of our societies, you have to be smart to do that in a meaningful way), and since just like with men, most women are morons, there is this huge amount of ear-deafening background noise everywhere where female (and male) morons point fingers and want to put blame on someone for doing something completely irrelevant to that whole feminism debate. You know, the stuff people without class and without brains like to do all day, trashtalking about others to make themselves feel better.

... Sometimes I hate this shit world and the maggots crawling around on it ...
stress1.jpg

And now let's do something useful with this thread and discuss why there are 99 smurfs, but only one smurfette.
:troll:

Last edited:

jagged-jimmy

Prophet
Codex 2012
So ToEE late game and encounters overall are boring. We know that already.

But i don't get the "LOL ToEE sucks Tim! And look at you now, you are working for a greater man than you are!"

Roguey, reality check says: Tim designed/created the most fresh RPGs - and the best RPG of all time. Sawyer modded BGII / IWDI to create a fun 6 month mod called IWDII.

And Tim's "bashing" of real time D&D is not even worth a discussion, as it is a simple truth. You are comparing encouner design with fundamental combat system for added trolling.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I like the one-line jab at Bloodlines with no substantial statement to even put some weight into your words. Was that even necessary? What you said -- It's not even a statement, it's just trash talking Troika's work; their best work. Bloodlines has nothing to do with ToEE, it bares how many similarities with the game? Other than it being made by Troika? Get a grip Roguey. It's nice you read the original module and made some concrete comparison there, but the rest of your article reads like gospel. It's not nearly analytical enough to be newsworthy. But, at least it's more analytical than your usual posts.

It'd help if it weren't so obvious you're ridiculously biased. It'd help if it seemed like you were actually trying to be partisan, in your write up. But you just come across as a Troika-hating dick.
I should have mentioned Arcanum too since it was also worse, sorry. The article was about ToEE, not Troika's games in general.

Anyway if you want someting substantial there's always
8GWSTiX.png

And for Arcanum stuff there's http://www.ataniel.org/arcreview.htm

They had a systematic problem with their company's culture.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom