Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Pillars of Eternity Revisited

Lhynn

Arcane
Josh Sawyer looks like one of the more competent people in the room.
Shillfinitron getting desperate :lol::negative:
This last one I'm forced to agree... Wasteland 2, Tides of Numanuma, Tyranny, Siege of Dragonspear, Sword Coast Legends... despite all its failings, Sawyer did deliver A LOT MORE than most of its peers.
SoD, Tranny and SCL are all better than PoE.
I would know, ive played them all.

No need to feel dirty. See, any way you google it, the number one search for codex PoE review is always the original masterpiece of buthurt. As far as the internet is concerned, that is the codex review. And it is going to stay that way no matter how many re-reviews we get.

Viata

Arcane
the number one search for codex PoE review is always the original masterpiece of buthurt
m0lM3Wv.png

:hero:

ZagorTeNej

Arcane
Well Codex started out as a sort of a Troika-Black Isle fansite so maybe this is natural progression. Sign of the times that it champions the mediocrity that is Avelone-less (not just him of course, all the best talent has left) Obsidian.

FNV is not one my favourites but I can concede it's a genuinely great game (even a great Fallout game) but this much adulation for PoE (a solid game at best) feels out of place for Codex IMO, then again everything changes over time I guess. Next Codex all-time RPG list will be interesting, we'll see whether this is pushed from the top (I mean a retrospective after 2 whole years, hilarious) or if PoE is really that insanely popular in the nu-Dex.

almondblight

Arcane
What encounter design if there are no solid systems and hard counters?

Hard counters have been in since the beginning (priests "Prayer against..." spells). It seems like most people here played on the easier difficulties where they could brute force the game without learning the systems, then complained that things that were actually in the game were missing from the game.

Mortmal

Arcane
Josh Sawyer looks like one of the more competent people in the room.
Shillfinitron getting desperate :lol::negative:
This last one I'm forced to agree... Wasteland 2, Tides of Numanuma, Tyranny, Siege of Dragonspear, Sword Coast Legends... despite all its failings, Sawyer did deliver A LOT MORE than most of its peers.
SoD, Tranny and SCL are all better than PoE.
I would know, ive played them all.
I disagree on SCL, but i cant name any other rpg i played recently being inferior to POE.The only things its doing right are graphics .Tyrany is just a bit better, but not going to bother and buy more DLC. Really those games are for people like me and lhynn , with plenty of time, not caring the slightest about money and bored to death.
If any innocent newcomer is reading the codex , dont fall prey to dirty obsidian advertising reviews! There's a lot better to play like Divinity original sin, shadowrun, Age of decadence and underrail.

"Actually playing Pillars of Eternity: The White March reminds me why I still own a PC. Nothing less." Grunker really deserves to be staff member.

Lhynn

Arcane
Anyone who says Tyranny is better than PoE is just proving they are chronically incapable of assessing quality. I was a fierce critic of PoE, but those two games are miles apart.
No they arent, the difference between PoE and Tranny is that in PoE they tried too hard to no avail, in tranny they didnt even try and still managed to make something more interesting to look at.

Mortmal SCL has more interesting character building, more interesting itemization, a better setting, some actually decent companions and a couple interesting twists in the story.
SoD is just when AD&D/IE gets interesting mechanically in terms of progression, it features interesting challenges and decent encounters.
Shit i would even include WL2 as better than PoE, the second half being actually sort of interesting and the combat having its moments.

Only thing worse than PoE is probably Numanuma, at least i can stand 4 hours of PoE before quitting in disgust, numanuma is just horrible any way you look at it.
Filling spreadsheets is more fun and engaging than PoE.

Last edited:

Lhynn

Arcane
This shit should have been a WM review only, then you could have suckered some retard by drawing a comparison between nwn2 and MotB.

Mortmal

Arcane
Reminder that there is only one review worth reading. Redirect your attention to the representative codex review http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=9867

Also just lmao @ 'four games within a game' and the megadungeon constituting a 'full game in terms of content' :lol:

Yes they are just desperate to get a few more sales , as we all know after the 8th of july and grimoire release and people enlightment , it will be unlikely they sell anything anymore.

Mortmal

Arcane
Anyone who says Tyranny is better than PoE is just proving they are chronically incapable of assessing quality. I was a fierce critic of PoE, but those two games are miles apart.

Poe setting is ultra generic, its boring, i have read those stories hundred of times, theres nothing new.Some content could have been written by a 12 year old D&d DM. Tyranny is trying something new at least, its not first time i heard about a setting where evils wins, midnight for exemple, but its far less common wich made me somewhat interested into the story at least. Combat and spell making was slightly more interesting, even if like poe its mostly the same encounters copy pasted all over the game, void of any memorable fights.Also it has the merit to be shorter, the pain ends much quickly.If you really enjoy poe you may as well enjoy mas effect andromeda or some of those generic mmo, youl'l get the same generic quests and more more playtime for your money.

There's no quality to assess ,except reviving the infinity engine esthetics, for me the gold standard of modern RPGs now is Divos, but i can understand people choosing AOD or Underail instead. I thought this review was trolling to generate butthurt and some fun , but now it sounds like you were serious about it....

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
SCL has more interesting character building, more interesting itemization, a better setting, some actually decent companions and a couple interesting twists in the story.
Combat and spell making was slightly more interesting
So Tyranny has better combat and Sword Coast Legends has better companions and character building than Pillars of Eternity? Seriously?

I mean, PoE has 82 monster types in the bestiary, plus the humanoid enemies. Tyranny has THREE enemy types, but I guess they both have "same encounters copy pasted all over the game" because your butthurt says so. Fuck logic. And yeah, I'm sure Durance, Grieving Mother and even Éder can't hold a candle to the amazing characters in SCL, such as "angry fighter #5".

never-go-full-retard.jpg

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom