Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Pillars of Eternity Revisited

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Jul 4, 2017.

1. Make America Great Again Parabalusgender: ⚧ Arcane

Parabalus
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    No, WM was explicitly made as an add-in (NoTR), not a post game expansion. It has new mechanics which are meant to be used at early to midgame, not high level. If anything, it should be more tightly integrated, not a separate campaign.

Just pirate it and buy it later, no reason to cheat yourself.

• Shit Shit x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Up Yours Up Yours x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    I'd say "recommended but not required." Play to the end of Act 1. If you like it, install the expansions, if not, save your moneys.

Correct.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Urthorgender: ⚧ Learned

Urthor
    Parrots:
    Um, sure? I mean there's no good way to play the White March, it's more or less go off at some random stage of your adventure and do whatever the hell you like, and pick up loot that is 100x better than the base game because Obsidian decided unique differentiated items are now A Thing and Did Them The Second Time round.

Just fire it up and do whatever, starting a character, playing through Act 1 then as much of Act 2 before you get bored, then doing White March all the way through is okay. Playing it with an autosave before the point of no return is also okay, it's basically a separate D&D campaign. If you do the White March you can just finish the White March and come back and play base game and it doesn't impact the base playthrough either way.

Most game studios prime the pump for sequels with 80-90% off sales to get people hooked before part 2, so yeah? Obv the put basegame 90% off on steam sale and keep DLC prices high is a proven moneymaker and has been a long time, but yeah if you want to wait till Christmas they'll probably put the DLC on sale for more than 33%.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. CryptRatgender: ⚧ Arcane

CryptRat
    Parrots:
    I don't care about the PoE part, but I highly disagree with what comes before it.
    NWN and Kotor are terrible and always were.
    Citation needed
    Nothing new.
    Not really, Lands of Lore has pretty good level design, it's one of the rare RT blobbers which come close to Dungeon Master and Chaos Strikes back. Its combat part was never great.
    Nothing new.
    Nonsense, and I'm not particularly a Fallout fanboy. Combat is fine and adapted, and at least for a couple of playthrough the character system is certainly not shallow. I don't know what you exactly mean by unbalanced character system, but for sure you can at least play as a brute, or as a diplomat, and in both cases the game is fun, and many non-combat skills are actually used here and there.
    If you want.
    Wait, what? Everything but the IE games, really?
    Talking like some random PC gamer journalist won't reinforce you points.
    More than Pool of Radiance? Don't make me laugh.
    Yes, and to some extend it kills the game, and it's even truer in Baldur's Gate 2. And the turn-based combat is absent too, of course, combat in BG is fun but not better that what we got before so there's no reason praising it.
    That's the most retarded statement in the review. "You know there's a inn somewhere, and you can even recruit pregenerated characters, so it's exactly like you made your party and started in an inn". No it's not the same.
    Playing video games not first and foremost for entertainement is completely stupid.
    Yes, and it's a big deal.
    And why would I want rushed micromanagement and dumbbed-down input required per unit?
    No, Darklands is pretty good, but players don't play it for its bad rtwp combat, they play it for everything else, which don't belong in the IE games. Recommending Darklands to IE-Fans is nonsense.
    Poor balance? Are you serious?
    Oh yes, the balance meme, you know they're talking about different things.
    Because it works.

No, you're wrong. They're good because of very good balance and decent variety, thanks to AD&D.

No it's not.

• Brofist x 15
    • Disagree x 4
    • Salute x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Janisegender: ⚧ Unwanted

Unwanted
    Parrots:
    ^ u r respoding to gaylord who runs a facebook baulder gay fan page...

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Notice that in the age of incline votes, Crooked Bee gave PoE a 5 and Tyranny a 4. The list of people who gave PoE a 4 includes Zed, Felipepepe, Jedi Exile, and Mastermind. So yeah, they are trying really hard to make this place into a Obsidian central fanboy club, and they will treat the next PoE as a classic on release. They couldn't believe their luck when people decide to use Infinitron as a scapegoat for their sins.

"Hi, my name is Infinitron!"

[​IMG]

• Funny x 7
    • Brofist x 5
    • Salute x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Fanboy revisionists will not rewrite history.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • butthurt butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Mynongender: ⚧ Scholar Shitposter

Mynon
    Parrots:
    I've enjoyed this write-up mightily. Great joob.

• Shit x 4
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Grunkergender: ⚧ RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    So I'm on a small island (4,5 square kilometers) currently and have no internet except when, like now, I stand at the southern beach on a huge boulder with my phone up in the air so I'm going to keep this brief and just say I liked my original title better but you can't win 'em all

Glad to see that as the world changes, Codex remains Codex :love:

Haven't run that for years

• Brofist x 26
    • Shit x 7
    • Friendly x 3
    • Goldfist x 2
    • Rage x 2
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    As can be seen in this thread Codexers are in general satisfied with his work (currently it's 50-50 but it's too small of a sample to say) but IMO he's been a spammer for quite some time now. What's worse however is that he doesn't post news that can't be found on any other site, like with Arcanum High Resolution Patch. There should be someone who would post news like that.

As for Crooked Bee, I know about her and as I've said here, IMO she's even worse.
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/codex-is-looking-for-news-posters.116230/

• Agree Agree x 4
    • butthurt butthurt x 4
    ^ Top  
  11. Viatagender: ⚧ Arcane

Viata
    Parrots:
    I think we should do a Tyranny Retrospective Review too. So that we don't forget the taste of Obsidian's cock on our mouth, you know. :balance:

• Funny x 4
    • butthurt x 3
    • Rage x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Sizzlegender: ⚧ Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    That's reserved for when all the DLCs come out :D

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Best Deal! Best Deal! x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    So he badmouth Fallout to make IE games look good, place Darklands among IE games because it has RTwP and praises BG as a masterpiece. IEfags are fucking degenerates.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Last edited: Jul 6, 2017
    • Brofist x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Funny x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Sizzlegender: ⚧ Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    You didn't even read the article you're criticizing now?

It never ceases to amaze me how pathetic you are :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    • butthurt butthurt x 3
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    In all fairness, infinitron posts everything for the most part: the good stuff and the bad stuff. What is naive is thinking that he is not being supported when he is posting the bad stuff.

^ Top  
  16. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Unless these quotes are false, I'm not wrong.

^ Top  
  17. FreeKanergender: ⚧ Magister

FreeKaner
    Parrots:
    You can finish a lot of encounters without letting enemy make a single move if you chain your crowd control spells. There is no lack of crowd control, in fact its abudance trivialises a lot of direct damage spells because in PoTD it's almost always better, if not necessary to debuff the enemy and lock them down, both aoe CC and longer single target CC. You can CC a single target for 20 seconds with a single spell.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Sizzlegender: ⚧ Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    How about reading the article yourself, instead of blindly believing a random poster, just because he's saying something you would like to agree with?

• butthurt butthurt x 3
    • retadred retadred x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. aw shucksgender: ⚧ Magister

aw shucks
    Parrots:
    then it's pointless to quote any scholars instead of researching this or that on your own

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Josh is unable/unwilling to make a RPG where you have to make a bunch of level up decisions all at once.

• retadred retadred x 3
    • Balanced Balanced x 2
    • decline decline x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. torpidgender: ⚧ Liturgist

torpid
    Parrots:
    I haven't played PoE so I can't offer an opinion on the game, but the biggest problem with this review is that before even taking on PoE Grunker forces the reader to accept his premise that most (all?) of the older games actually kind of suck except the IE games. It's all nostalgia except for the reviewer's favorite oldies--convenient! Personally, I loved the BG games back in the day but now cannot stand RTwP. So having to accept the reviewer's fiat that only the IE games hold up (and therefore, implicitly, PoE is good because it lives up to the spirit of the IE games while improving the mechanics) is a turn-off from the get-go. And it sets Grunker up for what seems like an over-the-top conclusion, that PoE is the best RPG: since the IE games are the only good RPGs, and PoE now surpasses them after multiple iterations, it can only be number one.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    • Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Make America Great Again Blackgender: ⚧ Arcane

Black
    Parrots:
    How was this ever a problem?

• Funny x 5
    • :M x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. luj1gender: ⚧ Savant

luj1
    Parrots:
    Shillfinitron had to hurry a lil' with this cum-gargling Illiad because no one will remember PoE in 10-15 years, so a real retrospective will be impossible:lol:

• Funny x 6
    • Agree x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • Edgy x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Sizzlegender: ⚧ Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    CryptRat is a scholar now? :lol:

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. aw shucksgender: ⚧ Magister

aw shucks
    Parrots:
    any researcher respectable enough to be quoted can be considered a scholar
    besides, CryptRat is a fine student of the Blade

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)