Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Anachronox

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Aaawww.

Summoning DraQ
Hurry up everyone, stand on the circle.
180px-Circle1.jpg

Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Best j-RPG since Chrono Trigger.

:troll:

I remember reading the review of it in potato mag Secret Service. It looked really good for Quake 2 engine game. And since I've beaten all fps titles that spawned from him and really had no $ for rig upgrade I finally launched it. It was even better than I expected. Nicely done hubs, interesting and sometimes funny side characters, Sly Boots having problem with carp mafia boss. I spent hours just looking for every corner of the maps, for quests, dialogues and of course - the music made by Will Nevins. You don't forget that kind of sound feast.
Played on medium difficulty and it was ok, nothing absorbing and hard to master but it served it's purpose. I also remember one box in the very beginning that I couldn't open due to my low skill. It only makes me butthurt that it has a cliffhanger ending. Wish Tom Hall grabbed Quake 3 engine and make a proper kickstarter.

Good work, this delicious wall of text deserves appreciation :salute:.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
You are probably talking about the
locked chest in he back of Boots' office that required Master Lockpicking
I foolishly ran around for a while trying to find a merchant that would sell me an upgrade :lol:

DraQ

Arcane
You are probably talking about the
locked chest in he back of Boots' office that required Master Lockpicking
I foolishly ran around for a while trying to find a merchant that would sell me an upgrade :lol:
Didn't it contain Boots' top level special?

My inner completionist demon was eating me from inside :lol:.
In enduring grow strong.
:hero:

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Can't the robot companion open it or something? It's a long time ago, so I don't know.

Lil PAL can't lockpick chests, only hack into computers/data ports. The way to improve Boots' Lockpick and open it is to
complete the side quest where Boots helps with his detective friend's investigation, at the end you get Master Lockpicking upgrade as the final reward

DraQ It contained either one of Boots' combat skills or his weapon upgrade, I think.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I don't know why, I've never had this game on my radar because it loos boring to me and I don't like the looks of it. :|

FeelTheRads

Arcane
That's because you're a faggert.

No, but really, boring is the last thing this game is. It's also one of the funniest (not derpiest) games I've played.

Surf Solar

cannot into womynz
I guess it's just the "weirdness" that puts me off. Same like it was back then with PS:T. Might give it a chance in the future when it comes on the steam sales, the reviews made me interested :)

Koschey

Arcane
Do eet! I'm just about to finish Votowne I think and enjoying the ride so far. Mechanics are mediocre to weak (levelscaled enemies, but only characters in the active party receive experience points...), but writing and characters are great, suck you in and keep you going.

One of my favourite moments up till now is when Grumpos and Boots awkwardly ask for the item they plan to offer Eddie, though the nature of that offering itself fell a little flat for me. On the other hand, it made me expect something totally different as Eddie, which is a plus, I guess.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
I guess it's just the "weirdness" that puts me off. Same like it was back then with PS:T.
Funny, because it was the weirdness that lured me into this game so much, exactly like with PST.

I've never finished it, because lost my save games around 2/3 into the game (maybe further?).

Right after discovering the effect bugs have on MysTech (I might be rememebering it wrong).

Now I'm hesitating between playing it again and just watching the really nicely done machinima on YT to see the end.

Anyway, great review, bros. Stuff like this is pure :incline:. Keep 'em coming. :salute:

BTW, if anyone has suggestions about games with similar weird feel, like this (or PST, or Psychonauts), let me know, so I can devour them.

FeelTheRads

Arcane
Well, obviously Sanitarium.
If you like text adventures the "weirdness" is way more widespread in that genre, if only because it's not limited by technology. :smug:

For example, try Andrew Plotkin's games. All can be played in the browser, if you want to.

One of them, The Space Under The Window, is not really a game, but it's one of those things that just couldn't be done with limited technology like graphics and sounds.

Last edited:

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
MicoSelva Glad you enjoyed the review. I agree with FeelTheRads on Sanitarium, which I just finished playing by the way. Siberia I and II also have plenty of weird going on :)

Edit: How could I forget I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream!!!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom