Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Review RPG Codex Retrospective Review: Anachronox

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
I used to grind in that area during first attempts to beat it.
Then I decided to avoid grinding on hard difficulty to have some challenge.
If only I knew. The horror, the horror...
I never felt the need to grind but I did love making the trip down to the Red Light District just so I
could fight the funny looking things that look like water hoses/plumbing over and over again, so amusing
Well, I wanted to feel POWURFUL, but then I wanted some challenge. Try taking this game on hard.
One of my favorite maps is the fag club moneygrinder in Red Light District (where you have to dance). :lol:
Also, Limbus battle theme FTW.
49-nox00133.jpg

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Very good review. I think that it is a great idea to do this kind of crossplay-review-thing.

And I really have to check out that game, sheesh. Procrastinating when it comes to good games, I'm really riding the decline train.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I used to grind in that area during first attempts to beat it.
Then I decided to avoid grinding on hard difficulty to have some challenge.
If only I knew. The horror, the horror...
I never felt the need to grind but I did love making the trip down to the Red Light District just so I
could fight the funny looking things that look like water hoses/plumbing over and over again, so amusing
Well, I wanted to feel POWURFUL, but then I wanted some challenge. Try taking this game on hard.
One of my favorite maps is the fag club moneygrinder in Red Light District (where you have to dance). :lol:
Also, Limbus battle theme FTW.
49-nox00133.jpg
Yes you probably are.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Very good review. I think that it is a great idea to do this kind of crossplay-review-thing.

And I really have to check out that game, sheesh. Procrastinating when it comes to good games, I'm really riding the decline train.
c0McAZx.jpg

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It was supposed to be a city of decline and Bethesda has a weird logo so it tried to make it into a sign.

Last edited:

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
That includes you Scrooge, if you want. We could do Geneforge 1, Albion, Wizards & Warriors, Betrayal at Krondor... or whatever else you have in mind.

Scroo

Female Quota Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex 2014 Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
That includes you Scrooge, if you want. We could do Geneforge 1, Albion, Wizards & Warriors, Betrayal at Krondor... or whatever else you have in mind.

Hmmm, i'm not sure my English is good enough for a whole and more important monocled review. I'll think about it, reviewing Albion doesn't sound too bad after all :)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
but rpgcodex already has a betrayal at krondor review
But it was made by that damn poser no one likes Oh, you're right... hadn't seen that yet. :oops:

BTW, only 7 comments on the Krondor review? And people say that the Codex is declining...

Hmmm, i'm not sure my English is good enough for a whole and more important monocled review. I'll think about it, reviewing Albion doesn't sound too bad after all :)
Don't worry, is like a Codex tradition to have non-native speakers writting walls of text and driving Infinitron mad.

Koschey

Arcane
Good review, made me finally restart the game. I only had it borrowed from a friend the first time I played it years ago.

I'd be up for an Albion review as well.

Gakkone

pretty cool guy eh
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I beat this game on Hard, and I feel like a fucking hero. You could lose a fight just because you didn't click the attack icon fast enough..
The fuck man, this is like in the top3 of easiest games in existence. I think I died about three times on the hardest difficulty level. And that includes me dying out of boredom because of how easy and slow the combat was.

zwanzig_zwoelf

I beat this game on Hard, and I feel like a fucking hero. You could lose a fight just because you didn't click the attack icon fast enough..
The fuck man, this is like in the top3 of easiest games in existence. I think I died about three times on the hardest difficulty level. And that includes me dying out of boredom because of how easy and slow the combat was.
There were 2 or 3 fights that were fucking horrendous to beat. Also depends on your char level/equipment/shit like that.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong

Please do Geneforge 1!
I've only recently started Geneforge 1 and played a bit over an hour, but it was a solid start. Pity it took backseat to Sanitarium but I really want to finish that soon.

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
Too much friendliness in this thread. What the fuck happened with the old Codex? Did we crossed into the faggot land?

Shut up you faggot cunt!

Fallout is a shit game, PS:T is a visual novel and Age of Decadence... More like Age of Decline!

Feeling better now?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Please do Geneforge 1!
Just saw, we actually already have a review on Geneforge 1, made twelve years ago: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=6

I mostly agree with him, but I would place Geneforge 1 as one of the great games of the early 2000's, although a eclipsed by the likes of Arcanum, Morrowind and Gothic, not just "good for a shareware game". People were just too "spoiled" with Incline at that time to notice it.

toro

Arcane
Vatnik
Too much friendliness in this thread. What the fuck happened with the old Codex? Did we crossed into the faggot land?

Shut up you faggot cunt!

Fallout is a shit game, PS:T is a visual novel and Age of Decadence... More like Age of Decline!

Feeling better now?

That's more like it. The irony is that ... you might be right!

:yeah:

DraQ

Arcane
Anachronox.
Arguably the best game with completely shit gameplay you will ever play (and love every minute of it).
Alternatively: The game Final Fantasy would be if made by Douglas Adams.

Did we crossed into the faggot land?
Yes.
:oops:
Via the power of mandance.

It's also worth mentioning that the Anachronox demo almost ruined the game for me. You simply get lost in the demo, close it, and never buy the whole game. I resisted the urge of skipping the game, and I'm glad I did that.
Actually, the demo was what piqued my interest in this game. Interestingly done, non-formulaic - instead of being either the beginning ripped out of the game or dedicated demo content it was several fragments from distant parts of the game bridged by demo content explaining that that's only some glimpses and a lot of stuff happens in between.

Then I couldn't find the actual game anywhere and ended up fishing it out of bargain bin good several years later.

P.S. I'm no longer summoned?
:|

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom