Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Wasteland 2 Release Party

lurker3000

Arcane
Should have asked where our boxed copies are.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Alas, I can't figure out how to tag people efficiently. . . [EDIT: Thanks, for explaining how!]

Berekän: I mentioned Primordia once or twice, but clearly no one had heard of it. :) Which, frankly, makes sense.

Amasius: Though some of you weren't sold on his style, Dan is a great writer and a great artist. We'll have a chance to show off some of his stuff shortly, as he's doing art (and hopefully writing, down the line) on Wormwood Studios' current project.

Charles-cgr: Charles leaves out some amusing political debates between him and Fargo on the topic of environmentalism, which were sadly but fittingly cut off by the Frenchman's need to go have a cigarette. Despite a purported lack of "ammunition," Charles almost perfectly embodies the Codex's combination of smarts, trivia, and refusal to kowtow. And, yeah, as noted, Dan an I are making a game. Hope to reveal it soon.

Deuce Traveler: Yeah. It's interesting the extent to which the Codex "punches above its weight." At the same time, though, I was pretty disheartened to see the degree to which the ironic/offensive memies and small percentage of jerks were considered to represent the core character of the Codex. Makes me assume that most people's impression is second-hand.

Sometimes it seems like the Codex is akin to Fallout's Vault Dweller: after long years in the desert saving RPGs from corruption into stupid, sterile giants, the Codex hopes to enjoy the years of peace and comfort, only to find that no one else can accept the harsh character that the years of struggle required. Time to go build a Temple of Trials, I guess.

jiujitsu: Amazingly fun.

Diablo169: As far as I could tell, none had played Primordia (or, as said above, even heard of it!). I'd be happy to give copies to any and all of them. But it's kind of a cheap knock-off of PS:T, whereas my hope is that T:TON will blaze new ground.

Anyway, many thanks to all who made such a fun night possible.

Last edited:

Brother None

inXile Entertainment
Developer
Glad you had fun MRY and Charles-gr and the rest! :salute:

MRY I've played Primordia and bounced the name around with the Torment team before. The writing in your game is outstanding and the setting and world very Torment-y, so it is definitely relevant to our interests.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Buying Primordia is like the Codex equivalent of praying a rosary. We encourage you to do it many times. It's good for your soul.

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

These guys are truly gods among men. So pleased to hear they are nice and friendly. It makes my worship of them feel justified.

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Glad you had fun MRY and Charles-gr and the rest! :salute:

MRY I've played Primordia and bounced the name around with the Torment team before. The writing in your game is outstanding and the setting and world very Torment-y, so it is definitely relevant to our interests.
Thanks! If you want so keys to pass around, I'm more than happy to share. :)

Buying Primordia is like the Codex's version of praying a rosary. We encourage you to do it many times. It's good for your soul.
But better not to pay full price. I'm sure it'll be on sale again sometime soon. Golden age of cheap media!!

[EDIT: That said, early and often ratings on Steam and GOG and Metacritic are very helpful and probably matter a lot more than individual sales.]

Last edited:

Deleted member 7219

George Ziets and I talked about emotions that games seldom touch upon -- melancholy, ennui. I groused to him and Kevin Saunders about the stupid Venetian Carnival mask I had to wear in MOTB to boost my charisma; when I lavished them with praise for their intelligent use of transitional text in loading screens, they drilled down into other non-traditional mechanisms for conveying story.

:ziets:

When Ziets left Obsidian I was dismayed. The guy had so many great ideas and it would have been such a shame for them to have gone to waste. But now he's working for both Obsidian and inXile, it's amazing. I think we're only just getting started with this guy.

Same with Saunders.

Diablo169

Arcane
George Ziets and I talked about emotions that games seldom touch upon -- melancholy, ennui. I groused to him and Kevin Saunders about the stupid Venetian Carnival mask I had to wear in MOTB to boost my charisma; when I lavished them with praise for their intelligent use of transitional text in loading screens, they drilled down into other non-traditional mechanisms for conveying story.

:ziets:

When Ziets left Obsidian I was dismayed. The guy had so many great ideas and it would have been such a shame for them to have gone to waste. But now he's working for both Obsidian and inXile, it's amazing. I think we're only just getting started with this guy.

Same with Saunders.

The Ziets hype is real, I hope he gets creative lead on their next title.

Amasius

Augur
Amasius: Though some of you weren't sold on his style, Dan is a great writer and a great artist. We'll have a chance to show off some of his stuff shortly, as he's doing art (and hopefully writing, down the line) on Wormwood Studios' current project.
I don't doubt that, he surely has a way with words, but in my eyes the style he has choosen doesn't suit him. Or anyone who isn't on drugs. Or expects to be read by people not on drugs. Now I'm really curious about your project though. Don't tantalize us to long, will you?

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Sometimes it seems like the Codex is akin to Fallout's Vault Dweller: after long years in the desert saving RPGs from corruption into stupid, sterile giants, the Codex hopes to enjoy the years of peace and comfort, only to find that no one else can accept the harsh character that the years of struggle required. Time to go build a Temple of Trials, I guess.
I really like this description.

Deleted member 7219

I really like this description.

I find it apt in terms of the perception that the Codex hates modern RPGs - it clearly doesn't, it's a broad church. But I think criticisms of racism and misogyny at the Codex are justified.

The Codex has done great work in the past few years, with the fundraisers for the incline (the Codex is putting its money where its mouth is - an honorable trait), but the casual racism and misogyny in many areas of the site are what give it a really bad rep.

Berekän

A life wasted
Patron
Berekän: I mentioned Primordia once or twice, but clearly no one had heard of it. :) Which, frankly, makes sense.

Oh well, don't sell yourself short. Should've pushed it a bit more, the people there would surely like your job.

cvv

Arcane
Patron
Codex+ Now Streaming!
Hehe, I didn't get the Joshua easter egg since I have never seen War Games.

So of course I had to watch it RIGHT NOW and lol, what an awesome little romp!
Kudos inXile :D

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
FFS, why must everyone give Primordia 7/10!?! Would an 8 kill you? :) In all seriousness, thanks. I appreciate people who treat all 10 points of a 10-point scale as being on the table. And, of course, I didn't make the game myself. The coder (James Spanos), the artist (Victor Pflug), and the composer (Nathaniel Chambers) made it. I just filled it with words.

[EDIT]

@Matt7895 I don't wade into the general discussion forums, so I couldn't say what those are like. In the forums I do check out, it seems like it's offensive, but mostly ironic, memes (which I don't enjoy) and a few jerks (who I also don't enjoy). Neither of those things seem to be the site's defining character. A fairly high degree of toleration for that nonsense is probably helpful for the forum retaining its sharp critical edge because by pushing the taboo boundary pretty far out, it leaves a broad interior for legitimate criticism that never seems "close to the line." (Obviously, I would rather lose the bad and keep the good; who wouldn't?) In my opinion, incidentally, the Codex's most important work was not in contributing a relatively insignificant amount of Kickstarter money, but in "carrying the fire" during the dark years. That said, maybe my views are too rosy.

Last edited:

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth

Banned Jasede.

MRY Keep in mind that inXile's view of the Codex may also be colored by that embarrassing-in-retrospect "handful of disgruntled beta testers temporarily turn the forum into a cesspool of anti-Wasteland 2 butthurt for eight months" episode.

Last edited:

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite

MRY

Wormwood Studios
Developer
Considering the horrid state California's in, and likely will be for the next few months, Fargo has a lot of nerve complaining about a review that focuses on bugs.
I read this and thought to myself, "What does Roguey want Fargo to do about persistent droughts, unemployment, and poor government serviceS?" Then I remembered reading a review about bugs in the latter part of the game.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom