Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: PAX East 2015, or How Chris Avellone Called the Codex Unprofessional

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Then why is everyone who remain insane? :troll:
Matt, just embrace the fact that in RPGcodex, odds are, something you like very much sucks, it sucks so much that someone will scream it at your face while having an epileptic seizure... embrace it and you'll find inner peace.

Are we secretly Cthulhu cultists?
...secretly ?

Hey guys, whats going on in here?
mindx2 gets his duly deserved brofisting, J_C bitches that codex is uncivilized and...

...a wild Tim Cain appears wielding his magical Arcanum/ToEE code, hits the codex on its ass and legs and leaves it dumbfounded.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
As much as I hate the racist, homophobic and misogynist slurs...the RPG discussions and community shitshow are pretty tight and if getting rid of the shit I hate meant getting rid of the shit I love, I'd fight to keep it all. And anyway the bad shit's fairly easy to ignore when you consider the source.

SausageInYourFace

Angelic Reinforcement
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit. Pathfinder: Wrath
Nobody was saying anything about 'change' (or 'hate') though. The question was merely why devs don't come here more regularly and the answer should be fairly obvious. Its a bit lulzy though how emotional some people get on the issue.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Nobody was saying anything about 'change' (or 'hate') though.

Yeah, well I was. And I'm sure the devs who do post here feel similarly. I guess I should have said "But I can see why for some devs it wouldn't be worth it" but I feel like that's been covered a few times already so...

Sceptic

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
...a wild Tim Cain appears wielding his magical Arcanum/ToEE code, hits the codex on its ass and legs and leaves it dumbfounded.
To be fair the part about the source code WAS heaven.

See? this is how you get me to throw money at Kickstarter. You don't go for early bird and limited tiers and exclusives and all that. You just go "Hi, I'm Tim Cain, I own the ToEE code, and I'm making another game like it".

:bounce:

Ninjerk

Arcane

See? this is how you get me to throw money at Kickstarter. You don't go for early bird and limited tiers and exclusives and all that. You just go "Hi, I'm Tim Cain, I own the ToEE code, and I'm making another game like it".

Athelas is thread MVP.

hiver

You guys better cut down on self felation. The hypocrisy of it is starting to annoy me.

lets return to a more realistic outlook of yourselves.

SlLJY.gif

mkay?

Western

Arcane
Codex 2012 Codex 2014 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
It's a metaphor for us covering everything in RPG goodness! The swirling colours resemble the Ying and Yang of our balanced discussion.

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA

Oh dear gawd yes!

:takemymoney::takemymoney::takemymoney::takemymoney:

Luzur

Good Sir
Well, my only tip for devs posting here:

You will survive the Codex as you would survive a zombie apocalypse, you grab that steel pipe at your feet and go all in.

Grotesque

±¼ ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Patron
Vatnik
Divinity: Original Sin Divinity: Original Sin 2
You guys better cut down on self felation. The hypocrisy of it is starting to annoy me.

lets return to a more realistic outlook of yourselves.

SlLJY.gif

mkay?

how many dicks you had to suck for someone finally make your little animation?
:)

hiver

Its not my animation. - projecting eh?

it really needs a big mouth to slurp all that up while its spinning.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shannow

Waster of Time
Shannow
I had a similar issue as they did in a PnP game I played in college. I wanted to be a trip focused dexy spring attack fighter guy (which the system supposedly suported) and the DM killed him off in a fight with a multiarmed sword wielding snake woman thing and told me just to make a Dwarven Defender because nothing else would survive in his campaign in melee range. So, I just didnt play with them again. It has nothing to do with story vs power gaming or whatever. It is about being able to realize a wide variety different reasonable character concepts or being pigeonholed into a fewer 'necessary' build types.
Sry for responding so late. For some reason your tag didn't show up on my alerts.
That your DM was a retard has already been established. Dwarven Defender (though admittedly my favourite) is not inherently stronger than your char would have been. Just different strengths and weaknesses. (In fact, you could make a trip focused dexy spring attack dwarven defender :M ) I could ramble on, but I believe your argument has already fallen apart, as this was not an issue of a viable char build, but of a moron DM. Others have already pointed out how it's more a matter of campaign/game design, than of the char system.
But I'd like to clarify that my examples of story-fag and powergamer-fag are obviously extremes of scales. And not even two ends of a scale, since I expect a person can be a powegamer and extremly invested in his character's personal story backround. I just hadn't realized that people might exist that prioritize their "character" so much over what the system actually supports that they'll make gimped chars and then complain about it.

I know what they're trying to say, but I still feel the need to point out that this is a really bad example:
The reason I think it's a very bad example is that they have it completely backwards. The problem with a ring that maximizes one of your attributes this early in the game isn't that your attributes are unbalanced or that some of the other attributes must be changed to compensate for all the points you wasted into this attribute or whatever. The problem is that there is a ring that maximizes one of your attributes this early in the game. The sane solution isn't to completely redesign your class and attribute system, the solution is to take that item out. It's like noticing the Ring of Wizardry in BG1 and deciding that what you need to do is rewrite the entire magic system (IIRC Bioware did take out the ring in one of the patches, or in TotSC).

Otherwise your post is nothing but :salute:
My post was actually better than you gave it credit for, since I do imply the issue you raise. :oops:
AFAIK, 3.5rd ed only has +bonus items/spells and no "set stat to XX". At least NWN(2), ToEE and KotC were like that. So, as far as I'm concerned the issue was already fixed and never repeated after BG2. (Though polymorphing still had the issue.)
Since I mention that only OGL should really have been in discussion for PE and not AD&D... Well :M

Also, my very first BG1-2 character, going through the entire saga, was a fighter with 18/00 STR, 18 DEX, 18 CON, 18 CHA, and the rest dumped into WIS (I think for the saving throw bonus, but I'm not sure, it's been a while). Getting the big discounts early in BG2 was great for buying all the overpowered items from Adventurer's Mart. Of course in terms of "useless stat" argument you could just replace CHA with INT, but my point of the ring and deciding what actually needs to change (ie, not the attributes) still stands.

Anyway I still don't like the system as much as I would've wanted, but I like it more than I used to.
As Shevek pointed out in the PE thread, wis didn't actually give the saving throw bonuses it was supposed to. While I don't remember and haven't bothered checking, I believe he is right. Int gave lore bonuses, was important for wizards (copy spell, requirement for spell level) and can be seen as "HP" in mindflayer fights. (Mindflayer melee attacks damage int. When you reach 0 you is dead. IIRC the dmage range was 1-4, so your 6 int fighter might die in two hits. Oh and touch attack... Fucking squidheads.) Otherwise I agree, obviously.

So I still see the "useless stat" discussion as plain wrong.
1. All stats had "some" uses.
2. The fault with massively "inferior" stats (depending on class) was not primarily in the char system but in game design. PS:T proves this.
3. Weaknesses of AD&D are rather irrelevant. See above.
(While OGL still has many issues, IMO PE's system will need to be significantly better to have been worth all the effort. Not much longer...)

Shannow

Waster of Time
2. So in D&D the game will outright tell you: "If you max cha on your fighter and dump all your physical stats, you'll be bad. Choose a different class or build your char differently.". And Sawyer substitutes this with: "Sure, go ahead and max resolve. Everything is balanced and viable. You'll be noticeably weaker than if you'd maxed might, but it's viable.". And this is supposed to be better?
Is that correct? Or is that a gross simplification?
How would you be "weaker"? In what sense? Youd do less damage because lower Might but you would have beneficial effect of very high Resolve as a substitute, right?
And... as far as i understand the attributes in PoE dont have that big of a role anyway. All negatives or positives are relatively small and can be covered up or substituted through skills and equipment.
Well, I read this
Yeah, if you build an 18 Resolve fighter in PoE that’s a very defensively oriented character that won’t get interrupted very much. Is that the same as an 18 Might character? No, but it’s not about perfect balance, it’s about relative balance and finding a way to play to that character's strengths. So it’s never been about absolute perfect balance.
as Sawyer as much as admitting that an 18 might fighter will be more successful than an 18 resolve one. What he's definately admitting, is that there will be more and less optimized attribute spreads. (Playing to your "strengths" notwithstanding.)
Saying that attributes have been nerfed into insignificance is a really bad argument. (Yeah, I use hyperbole. Sue me.) It's the Bethesda approach to game design. Too much effort to get it right? Cut it out or make it meaningless. (From what I've gathered from Sensuki's posts, your claim to the stats' lack of impact is wrong though. Or at least a gross simplification :M)

Very bad analogy. Tyson actually critically needed knowledge about boxing to be able to successfully use his phsysical advanatges. He was not just strong and fast but had great technique and precision - coupled with knowledge about how to hit and where to hit.

And sir Hawking indeed does need his body to function properly in order to be able to think. Just like anyone else. What that man does everyday is nothing short of a epic heroic feet or a miracle.
It's an awesome analogy. In D&D terms Tyson's technique, precision and fighting knowledge come from class, feats and levels.
And in D&D terms Hawking has 1 str, 1, dex and 3 con. But even if he had 10s in all of them he'd not be a better physicist. The defining stats are int and to a lesser degree probably wis.

hiver

All im saying is that Sawyer never aimed or intended to make a game with absolute over the top "balance" as it was understood by blind masses here.
You can make a fighter that does not do as much damage as a fighter with maxed Might, but that build will still be useful in other ways.

So not every build will be perfect, or the same as others, but it will be playable.
He basically reduced the possibility of creating builds that are completely useless. He did not make every build "the same". You can still make less then optimal build but that wont mean the game will become unplayable.
And its pretty clear to me that attributes will not have such a strong role in the whole gameplay since equipment and skills and talents will further allow players to make their builds work despite less then optimal Attributes choices.

I do agree with you on the notion that gameplay for unoptimal builds should be achieved through diverse gameplay opportunities, rather then distorting and twisting and "balancing" attributes, but clearly this is another combat focused game and there simply isnt such gameplay there.

Its a horrible analogy since in reality (about which we are talking when we mention Tyson and Hawking), Tyson needed the knowledge and "fighter intelligence" to be as successful as he was. As any fighter does. If all he had are physical attributes he would never win anything at all. Boxing is not just slugging it out. Same goes for Hawking. I am addressing that idea from realism standpoint, not some convoluted DnD crap.
And this example actually nicely shows how different attributes should affect different classes in ways appropriate for those classes or builds, rather then the usual gamey approach of simplification where Int only affects wizards and Strength affects only fighters.

Of course, this should be the bases of the design from the ground up.
and btw, something like it is what i would do for that vaporware game idea of mine.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Its a horrible analogy since in reality (about which we are talking when we mention Tyson and Hawking), Tyson needed the knowledge and "fighter intelligence" to be as successful as he was. As any fighter does. If all he had are physical attributes he would never win anything at all. Boxing is not just slugging it out. Same goes for Hawking. I am addressing that idea from realism standpoint, not some convoluted DnD crap.

In other words, the POE system sounds less gamey if we assume a broader concept of intelligence. In D&D the fighter “intelligence” is just a measure of how many skills he developed after much training. In this system this is not really intelligence, is just muscle memory. In POE you could argue that we are assuming a broader concept of intelligence.

hiver

Whats the difference, Sensuki?

/
Anyone thinking knowledge of boxing or any other fighting skill is just muscle memory has no idea what the hell he is talking about.

• Intellect (INT) Intellect represents a character's logic and reasoning capabilities. In interactions, it can be useful for deduction, sudden realizations, and problem-solving. In combat, it contributes to the Deflection and Will defenses and influences the sizes of Areas of Effect.
In this case it seems that indeed, the concept has wider use that is applicable to any class in ways fitting for those classes, (at least partially), instead of being limited only to specific classes and doing nothing for others.
Not enough in my opinion but its a good direction to take.

Its really a big shame that engagement is done as it is. I dont think i will stop repeating that so easily because its a great opportunity that will be missed.
Doubt anyone will make a mod for it... its really a shame.

But then again... i might just use the improved version i came up with for my own purposes someday.

Its such a lousy answer to that too... "we gave engagement to every single thing in the game because it will be easier for (our true - implied) target audience (fuck you backers - implied) to understand" ... although that doesnt make any sense.

Its second guessing your audience, and introducing convoluted design decisions based on that instead of making the best game you can.

Tigranes

Arcane
So not every build will be perfect, or the same as others, but it will be playable.
He basically reduced the possibility of creating builds that are completely useless. He did not make every build "the same". You can still make less then optimal build but that wont mean the game will become unplayable.
And its pretty clear to me that attributes will not have such a strong role in the whole gameplay since equipment and skills and talents will further allow players to make their builds work despite less then optimal Attributes choices.

I haven't analysed every single last detail of POE systems like some people, but I always thought this was the point. Frothing at the mouth going OMG SAWYER WANTS TO MAKE EVERY CHARACTER JUST AS POWERFUL AS ANOTHER just fails basic reading comprehension. Now, to what extent different builds become 'effectively same' or optimised builds become not much better than shitty builds, I'll see when I can actually play through the full game and not a mid-level mostly pre-built party.

I've said this with regards to Might, but the 'what should attributes be called' shit has just ballooned all out of proportion. It's like a bunch of morons holding a 2 year research project figuring out whether tomatoes should be stocked with vegetables or fruits in the local supermarket at Bumfuck Nowhere. Sure it's not entirely meaningless, it matters what you call attributes and which attributes affect what, but geez. To me the biggest yardstick was always, does this setup let me build the character I want? Does it have too many dump stats, or get rid of choices too much? Does it offer interesting tradeoffs, etc? I like the idea that the duration of your abilities can be modified globally, for example - that is a fairly unique modifier that you don't normally find in CRPG systems, and offers a new way to think about character builds.

By the way, Obsidian has a new community manager, Mikey Dowling - who plans to go around answering questions a bit more (though I think Obs devs have been around a fair bit since POE KS). Hasn't really got going yet. I don't suspect he'll come to the Codex, but you never know...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom