Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: PAX East 2014

Repressed Homosexual
He rubbed me off a very wrong way when I first saw Psychonauts, and how ridiculously zany it was, only to have it backed up by extremely tedious platforming.

It seems obvious to me that the talent was other employees of studios he worked at, and not really him.

sser

Arcane
Developer
Funny and informative article.

And you were there for days, but didn't find much worth seeing. I imagined that's how these things would go. Maybe it'd be worth it if you were a high-flying gaming personality that could get into anything? At least Roberts was a bro. His demonstration of the game was fairly amusing, too.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
We'll be establishing the Inter-codexian Panel on Choice & Consequence who's job will be to analyse game reviews and write reports. Their First Assessment Report will highlight the ongoing decline of the gaming industry, and include charts and graphs predicting the ongoing decline and miserable state of affairs of the future of gaming - unless Government's adopt policies to avert the decline.

:troll:

eremita

Savant
Shit man, I expected interview with marvelous CliffyB... DISAPPOINTED!

Hormalakh

Magister
Darkunderlord is proposing that we start a First Assessment Report Taskforce for the IPCC. Who's going to join him in the F.A.R.T. on the IPCC?

SoupNazi

One of the few very interesting and fun to read writeups. Not well written, but just something about it is interesting. The thing about Schafer doesn't surprise me entirely, but it's saddening that my fear about his real personality not being so jolly and fun as he was on those kickstarter videos were true. He was clearly just selling his game.

AbounI

Colonist
Patron
Nothing to say about the Darkest Dungeon (Red Hook Studio)?

Sensuki

Arcane
Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
Trust your instinct mindx2. If you thought he wasn't joking at the time then he probably wasn't. You can tell from one of the more recent documentary episodes (not the latest one, I stopped watching after the release) that he gets a bit pissy at people who don't like the game.

There's a reason they (the devs) have been calling Broken Age "still a AAA game" and that's because it was designed so.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Nothing to say about the Darkest Dungeon (Red Hook Studio)?
I honestly never saw their booth. Not surprising giving the massive number of people crammed into the small Indie section. I'm sure there were a number of interesting games I missed but PAX really isn't a good place to find them.

Applypoison

Numantian Games
Patron
Developer
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Hah, that was an awesome read. Thanks for sharing :)

I think Shafer was probably just stressed out and caught by surprise. I mean, think if you were in his shoes... you're approached by someone claiming to represent an influencial gaming magazine that you can't remember hearing about, then that same person informs you of a negative public opinion. There are just so many things that you *can't* say, but you still have to answer for PR reasons.

If I was in his place, depending on the amount of sleep I've had and how packed my schedule is, I might panic a little... maybe draw a blank on what to say. I might try to make a joke which totally comes out the wrong way :P Either way, the reaction would definitely be knee-jerk.

On a side-note, I loved the part about Chris Roberts. The warm exchanges depict what's truly important about gaming: passionate devs who also care about their audience. The part about the demo crashing was unfortunate, but it's a small price to pay. Indie gaming
:bro:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
One of the few very interesting and fun to read writeups.
:thumbsup:
Not well written,
:rpgcodex:*
but just something about it is interesting.
:thumbsup:

You try writing with one finger!
:troll:

I do want to say thanks to everyone for their encouraging posts (you never know what to expect at the Codex :D). I really enjoyed writing my first Kool Kodex Kontent so much more than the trip itself and hope that I can contribute more in the future. The Codex truly is the last bastion of my favorite hobby, cRPGs!
:love:

SwiftCrack

Arcane
Nice write-up dude, it's pretty clear that American Fast Food is superior to American gaming development in the contemporary world :kwanzania:

serch

Magister
10988.jpg
1270103104222.jpg

well chosen grin, bro!

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom