Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: PAX East 2014

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Really nice write-up, you made me :lol: a lot. Roberts seems like a nice guy and dat meat tornado YUM!
:yeah:
But yeah, you pretty much summed up the reasons I'd never go to one of those conventions -commercial, consoletardized, banal, lots of people running around like headless chickens :decline:

Menckenstein

Lunacy of Caen: Todd Reaver
mindx2 said:
THE GAME WAS TOO EASY FOR OUR BRAAAAAAAIIINS
h1HWP3p.gif

Tim Schafer said:
:shits pants:

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I don't think anyone should condemn Chris Roberts for using a gamepad. Sure it is not a joystick, but simulators are the one genre that play well by a controller, since it has analog input.

Not for me... :troll:
(Honestly tho, how DID you type out all that?)
Seriously, I'm also interested in this. And how do you play? It is quite an accomplishment.

For gaming I started out like any good computer gamer and used a keyboard back in the day. One of the toughest games for me back then was Descent but man it felt great to finally beat it! For the last decade and a half the two input devices that have been a godsend to me are my Microsoft Trackball Explorer mouse and the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. The shape and position of their multi-button layout makes gaming great. Also, the "way I am" is one major reason I've always gravitated to cRPGs as these tend not to be twitch-infested.

Whether Tim was serious about whether we were "playing it wrong" depends on the tone he took. I'd also be disappointed if he honestly believed it.
I went in to my encounter hoping he would be the funny go-lucky persona he portrays himself as in the media and his documentary. That's why I thought he'd have more "fun" with my encounter then he did. He was clearly annoyed and his answer to me (and the Codex) was far from jovial. Granted, I don't fault him for this. It clearly was not the opportune time to have that type of discussion and having some Tyrion Lannister knock-off insult your game... eh, who can blame him. I do think his answer speaks volumes to his "design philosophy" today.

h1HWP3p.gif

Tim Schafer said:
:shits pants:

I've ALWAYS wanted to do something like this for Halloween!! :thumbsup:

edit: I'd make a great extra on The Walking Dead :P

Last edited:

J_C

One Bit Studio
Patron
Developer
Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
(Honestly tho, how DID you type out all that?)
Seriously, I'm also interested in this. And how do you play? It is quite an accomplishment.

For gaming I started out like any good computer gamer and used a keyboard back in the day. One of the toughest games for me back then was Descent but man it felt great to finally beat it! For the last decade and a half the two input devices that have been a godsend to me are my Microsoft Trackball Explorer mouse and the Logitech Extreme 3D Pro. The shape and position of their multi-button layout makes gaming great. Also, the "way I am" is one major reason I've always gravitated to cRPGs as these tend not to be twitch-infested.
Hats off to you Sir.

Last edited:
Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
For gaming I started out like any good computer gamer and used a keyboard back in the day. One of the toughest games for me back then was Descent but man it felt great to finally beat it

:salute:

I remember how confusing the game was at the beginning. You had to really work hard to synchronize the controls, avoid and destroy enemies. Sometimes it was really confusing since you were inside a spacecraft, where up was turning down and vice versa. All those sissies complaining about difficulty in today's games should met you.

Hormalakh

Magister
What I learned today:

Chris Roberts is actually not a dick and a really cool guy, going against all I had thought about the guy. Will look into his game. Must find WCs now...

Tim is a dick, also going against what I thought about the guy. Maybe he was having a bad day. So offended by his lack of RPGCodex knowledge... EVERYONE MUST KNOW US AND FEAR US

The thing is, Tim Schafer might have been the lead back in the day but in the end, and especially true for those days when games were made by small-er teams, a game's character is defined by several people. So it's sad that Tim's name had stuck up the most to the point we associate all the greatness of those games singularly with Tim.

As an example, I just read an article about BioShock today and how one guy in the team helped bring the game together:

[...] the art team couldn't find a strong style for the game. "The project struggled at the beginning to develop a visual identity," says Chey, director of product development at Irrational at the time. "There was a period of time where the levels looked like typical grey industrial space corridors and the opponents were the usual mutated monsters that you'd fought a hundred times before."

[...] "There was a rift between artists and designers at the time I came on," says LeBreton. "Early in 2006, we hired a new level artist named Hoagy de la Plante. He picked up on the same cultural tensions within the team and asked for permission to work with me on a week-long experimental level-building process, in which we collaborated closely on a small space."

"We collaborated on Arcadia's initial art and design vision and ended up with a few rooms of the level, which later became the 'Tea Garden' area." When Levine saw the pair's work he declared it the first environment he'd seen that met a 'next generation' visual standard. "Ken showed off our work to the entire studio as an example of a great BioShock space [...] says de la Plante.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-04-17-the-true-story-of-bioshock

How much direct input does Tim really have in Broken Age? I suspect a whole lot more than he had back in the day, especially without suits breathing down his neck. And I suspect that is partly the reason why the game has nothing on the old classics.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
mindx2, I had always pictured you as a nice guy with nary a trollish bone in your body. I feel like I must revise my opinion after you've confessed to repeatedly abusing your disability to get preferential treatment, as well as explicitly referring to the Codex as a "prestigious magazine" in a conversation with Tim Schaefer. Hats off, my good sir.

Now we just need someone to quote this article on NeoGAF to produce some additional butthurt.

Tigranes

Arcane
That meat tornado is pretty standard fare based on my three years thus far on the East Coast.

shihonage

Subscribe to my OnlyFans
Patron
Bubbles In Memoria
Tim probably meant that many autistic nerds blow past narrative content without smelling all the roses. His game really seems to be the "experience" sort, rather than "gameplay" sort.

Deleted member 7219

Tim's just too far gone.

Brian Fargo and Feargus Urquhart on the other hand... if they don't deliver, you shouldn't have any qualms about interrogating them.

mindx2

Codex Roaming East Coast Reporter
Patron
Codex 2012 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire RPG Wokedex Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
https://twitter.com/TimOfLegend/status/458379281442172928

Tim Schafer ‏@TimOfLegend 33s
@oasis789 That's a joke from the documentary. When I was typing on my keyboard, saying "Dear, so and so. You're playing the game wrong!"

If that's so I totally missed the joke so "My bad, Mr. Shafer. You were a good sport after all" :salute:

edit: Since I don't do the Twitter thing there's no way for me to let him know... :(.*

Still didn't like what he did with BA, though. Nothing like his classics of old which I still think he's a bro for making!

Last edited:

evdk

comrade troglodyte :M
Patron
Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
Also presumes we watched the shitty money pit that was the documentary.

Last edited:

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom