Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Report: Gamescom 2015 - The Dwarves, Daniel Vavra, inXile, Sword Coast Legends and HoMM 7

ArchAngel

Arcane
So conclusion about SCL is same as the topic about the game. Probably fun MP coop game, terrible D&D game.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
We have no idea about the single player as we didn't see it but yeah, implementation of D&D rulesystem was not noticeable at all. I started a 5E campaign a week ago and the rules are p. similar to 3.5, or well, at least not fundamentally different.
This has cooldown abilities. The combat didn't feel like D&D at all to me.

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Brofist me.
I did, despite not liking the KCD part that much. Has sth to do with the different writing style, but much more with how Vávra and you both missed to distinguish between different sorts of action RPGs. In nearly all of them player skill matters a lot - in TB ones too btw, it's just a different sort of player skill, Codexers are very retarded when it comes to that.
And no, what you described for KCD is nothing like in Gothic because there leveling you char allowed you to learn new skills, that's another layer on top of "makes you swing your sword faster" or "lets you do more damage" and a quite essential one. Without that layer the Gothics would be just as shit as I expect this game to become. I also don't worship Fallout 1 so I don't care if Vávra insults it. FO 1 is a rough gem anyway and mechanically very flawed. I think Codex cares more about the idea behind it than about the game itself (which is still great of course because of the setting and mood and the way it tells its story).

Last edited:

Aenra

Well done to both of you, updated 'brofists owned' .txt :)

Eagerly awaiting the ELEX booth/dev interview. Am hoping neither one of you will fall victim to patriotic camaraderie. These people gave us Gothic and Gothic 2. They then proceeded to shit on our faces. In full anticipation of your remarks portraying that nice and clearly..
(maybe it's not so bad if the Codex has a voice after all, hmm)

/salute

edit: Does anyone know how much it takes for a booth in there? Say Vavra's one, in terms of size. What would that have cost him?

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Well, at least you learned from that interview that the game's shit. :D
I knew that before. :smug:

No, seriously, was still looking forward to it a bit but linear main story and not being able to kill historical figures because that retcons history? :retarded:
This is a game mang, being able to screw with the stuff it features is its ultimate purpose. You can't make a good historical game if you don't let the player be able to screw everything up in a fun and entertaining way like Marty McFly in Back to the Future. Vávra not acknowledging this tells me everything I have to know about the guy.
:whatisfun:
Either he's just another no fun allowing guy in the game dev business or he's a snake oil salesman and makes these arguments up to cover up his underwhelmingly unambitious design (choices mean things can break easier, better not add more than necessary, and let the peasants out there suck up that bs faithful to historical events reasoning).

Here, go this way and talk to this guy and kill that other guy to continue the main story. Or are you in the mood for a sidequest? I have just the right one for you: decide if you want to eat that cabbage raw or cook it before stuffing it in your face (decisions decisions decisions!!!111 - hint: definitely cook it, the minigame is fun fun fun).
Or enjoy another one of all the crazy fun branching sidequests we added! We made sure none of them change the gameworld in any meaningful way because muh hystory.

Of course, I was not in the least bit swayed by all the adulation: I already had over four thousand brofists on the Codex, and I knew my worth very well.
:excellent:

Last edited:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
That much is true, but I wonder just how many classes the game would offer. Given it's realism, you probably won't be able to roll a pyromancer, heheh.
Maybe they could implement "builds" via the different weapons you had back then? Swinging a sword ain't the same as swinging a polearm and all that.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
edit: Does anyone know how much it takes for a booth in there? Say Vavra's one, in terms of size. What would that have cost him?

I dunno, but his seemed rather large - one presentation room, one room with 3 PCs where people could play the alpha, and his room with couches and a beer-filled fridge where I interviewed him. And that all just for one game, mind you - Technomancer just had one little room in their publisher's medium-sized booth.

I have no idea about the real estate prices of Gamescom.

JarlFrank

I like Thief THIS much
Patron
That much is true, but I wonder just how many classes the game would offer. Given it's realism, you probably won't be able to roll a pyromancer, heheh.
Maybe they could implement "builds" via the different weapons you had back then? Swinging a sword ain't the same as swinging a polearm and all that.

I've only seen swords implemented, but I was told there will be different weapon types that handle a bit differently, but (I think I wrote that in the interview too) even if you specialize only on one melee weapon your skill in the others will also become halfway competent. That means melee build is basically melee build. And then there's archery, so you could choose melee build and ranged build. Or thief build if you prefer sneaking to fightan. Not too varied in build choices, was my impression.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing

Warhorse have confirmed that there won't be any polearms in Kingdom Come because it would encourage degenerate gameplay they couldn't implement them in the combat system. Based on that concession, I'm a little dubious about seeing major differences between weapon combat styles.

Self-Ejected

Ludo Lense

Self-Ejected
I am amused by the fact that Bubbles had to go to Gamescom to pose questions to a well known Codexer. Glad to see my questions made it in though.

Also the HOMM 7 one was quite the modification heh. I honestly wasn't expecting for them to ask it. The devs seem like a nice bunch but.....HOMM has been dead and buried for so long I can't summon a modicum of hype, plus a lot of the community stuff left me irked.

Props to Bubbles and JarlFrank for the excellent coverage though. It was a treat to read.

Fairfax

Arcane
Great read.

it's rather unusual that devs are insulted on any forum.
Really laughed here. :lol:

I didn't like the "corrections" in the InXile bit, though, but that's probably because I don't believe anything that guy says ever since he said he "doesn't remember changing the Torment combat system poll", which is a considerably large steaming pile of bullshit.

agris

Arcane
Patron
Hey Crooked Bee, you might want to update part 1 with that Gamescom tag. It'll make finding all the entries in this series easier (yes I know there's a link to it in the intro).

Lhynn

Arcane
Good read about crap i dont care about.

Incidentally, the TLSC was seen in the best light there. Semi improvised gameplay in a local fashion with people you are not sure you like. Any other kind of experience like honest to god quality storytelling seems impossible in that game so my interest remains nonexistent.

SniperHF

Arcane
Brother None had arranged for me to meet him in the Deep Silver booth. RPG fans may remember Deep Silver as the publisher who turned Risen 2 into an international hit;

You know, this reminds me that I'm still annoyed with Brother None regarding his fairly positive Risen 2 preview for Gamebanshee back in the day. It was on his preview alone that switched me from skeptical to purchasing Risen 2 on release....and now he hangs out in Deep Silver booths.

:argh:

I'm only about 25% serious but damn Risen 2.....:negative:

Cadmus

Arcane
I didn't like the Vavra interview at all. Couldn't you just write it like a dialogue with the actual things you two were saying? You know, like an interview? I don't like for some fuckface to reinterpret the interviewee's answers for me.

Iajawl

Nice article guys :) That Kingdom Come game looks like it'll be mad fun. I do like sword fighting simulators though >.>

Shevek

Arcane
Fantastic writing. Extremely well done.

KCD and Dwarves sound like crap. The DnD action game sounds like it can be fun as a drunken lan party game but Im not in college anymore so screw that game too. Console control schemes for WL2.. Hmm, consolized controls... that brings back memories...

It seems, all in all, you have signalled the beginning of the end of the glorious age of incline.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
The Sylvan faction appealed to “female mainstream” gamers who “liked unicorns”, while the gritty Dungeon faction was aimed at the hardcore crowd. These hardcore players – the remaining 20% of the HoMM 7 audience – were people who had stayed with the series “for 20 years”, but they were not being taken for granted: “all the stuff on the website”, the polls, the community discussion, etc., was for them.
My wife likes playing as the Dungeon (we play the beta atm). This is one of the reasons, why I married her, I guess. ;)

Ash_Firelord

Educated
Awesome read. I might actually like Dwarves. Sad about MMXI :(

KA: With Tim Schafer you have the feeling that they don't operate at peak efficiency just yet.

Well there's a nice way to put it.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom