Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Preview RPG Codex Report: Expeditions: Conquistador, Logic Artists and Kickstarter

SlavemasterT

Arcane
Great article/interview, Grunker; truly inclining the Codex to our proper place in the world of Prestigious Gaming Magazines. :salute:

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Great article/interview, Grunker; truly inclining the Codex to our proper place in the world of Prestigious Gaming Magazines. :salute:

Well done :salute:

Thank you ever so kindly, dear sirs!

Ironically, whereas the Codex has long lamented its interests' position in the backseat of modern game development, it seems we are one of the core audiences of the new titles being announced funded through Kickstarter, and a fairly large audience at that. Wæver mentions RPG Watch, RockPaperShotgun and RPG Codex as the epicenters of the interest in Conquistador.

I think the heartening thing is that this isn't all that weird any more. The Codex has done some pretty damn good work of late as a place where some of these smaller projects with varying degrees of niche appeal, from Primordia to Eisenwald to Conquistador to Chaos Chronicles, can get a certain amount of sustained attention. You still see the same enthusiasm for all of these games in the larger communities, but discussion of them seems more likely to get lost or forgotten in the ocean of hyper-popular franchise megathreads. Whereas this forum if nothing else seems to be small and contrarian enough to be able to keep them more in focus and give them a decent public airing.

I found it surprising. Surprising in the way that I thought the main audiences for these kinds of things were RPS and SA and stuff like that, and then we made out a small part of that audience.

Grotsnik said:
I did think the sign was a bit cringe.

Aww, you geezer! Bit of harmless fun, no more!

Harold

Arcane
:bounce: So so hyped to make sweet love to this game on Thursday. And excellent feature Grunker; bonus points for getting them to do both the sign and the doritos thing, they seem like a bunch of cool bros.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
We decided that we'd rather have a finite amount of hand-crafted battles than infinite computer-generated battles a'la Heroes of Might & Magic where all battlefields are just a flat square with a few obstacles chucked in at random. That also fits our more narrative-based design philosophy better, as the battles can be tailored to fit the story, and though we "only" have 75 battles in the game, they will change depending on your choices leading up the combat as well as the general state of the game :)
While I wholeheartedly agree that hand-designed missions are better than machine-generated ones, I think it would be best if there were some missions that You could only access after making certain decisions in the game, while excluding others at the same time. This way a player could, for example, experience at most 50 or 60 of 75 missions in one playthrough, which would add greatly to replayability. Although different mission variants are nice too.

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
That was definitely incline

Conq_salute.png

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
I did think the sign was a bit cringe. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game, and to your future work; I think you lads come across really well in your intentions indeed.
there are two types of people immune to cringey stuff in this world: germans and danes. it must be the beer or something.

super awesome job grunker, and very nice of logic artists to open their studios so that we could spread our germs in there.

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
While I wholeheartedly agree that hand-designed missions are better than machine-generated ones, I think it would be best if there were some missions that You could only access after making certain decisions in the game, while excluding others at the same time. This way a player could, for example, experience at most 50 or 60 of 75 missions in one playthrough, which would add greatly to replayability. Although different mission variants are nice too.

Of the 75 or so battles, half of them are optional/sidequests iirc. And all of them will have minor variations depending on how your party is set up prior to starting them. So it's EXACTLY how you just said you wanted it. :thumbsup:

Can we start referring to the devs as BROgic Artists yet?

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Of the 75 or so battles, half of them are optional/sidequests iirc. And all of them will have minor variations depending on how your party is set up prior to starting them. So it's EXACTLY how you just said you wanted it. :thumbsup:
Not if "optional" means what it means in Mass Effect (I can choose to do them or not). This way I could see all 75 missions in one playthrough (and probably would).

Avonaeon

Arcane
Developer
Not if "optional" means what it means in Mass Effect (I can choose to do them or not). This way I could see all 75 missions in one playthrough (and probably would).

Some battles exclude others, and failing quests can disable you from being able to seeing combats as well.

Jonas

Campfire Cabal
Developer
Can we start referring to the devs as BROgic Artists yet?
You may not! However, Logic Bros will be (reluctantly) accepted.

Do you have any reason to assume our game has a lot in common with Mass Effect? ;)

Hispaniola's main storyline is fairly linear, as it was intended as a tutorial (it grew a little out of control...). Mexico has two faction questlines that are mutually exclusive after the first three quests (before the point of no return, when you still haven't quite pissed off the opposing faction yet). A lot of the battles also exist in several versions, but you'll only get to play one version depending on your choices. Finally, a fair few battles will never even happen unless you're roleplaying as a massive douchebag. And then of course there's the ones that can be skipped if you're going for diplomacy.

There's easily enough replayability for at least 2 playthroughs, I should say :)

Self-Ejected

Ulminati

Kamelåså!
Patron
I supported this on kickstarter AND I'll be buying a copy on release for a deadbeat BRO of mine

:takemymoney::takemymoney:

Jewgoldz well spent. The press preview of this game has been almost as addictive as Kerbal Space Program.

Finally, a fair few battles will never even happen unless you're roleplaying as a massive douchebag.

Implying that someone from the codex WON'T be a massive douchebag. I lol'd. :P

There's easily enough replayability for at least 2 playthroughs, I should say :)

But can skyway complete it 7 times?

Kirtai

Augur
Nice interview. I have to agree with their comments on historical settings, there's such an incredible amount of weird stuff that no-one is bothering with.

Self-Ejected

Irenaeus

Self-Ejected
Patron
Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
I missed their Kickstarter, but I'll certainly look into the released game. I hope their writing is up to the overall quality of the game, at least related to the time period without blatant anachronisms.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Hispaniola's main storyline is fairly linear, as it was intended as a tutorial (it grew a little out of control...). Mexico has two faction questlines that are mutually exclusive after the first three quests (before the point of no return, when you still haven't quite pissed off the opposing faction yet). A lot of the battles also exist in several versions, but you'll only get to play one version depending on your choices. Finally, a fair few battles will never even happen unless you're roleplaying as a massive douchebag. And then of course there's the ones that can be skipped if you're going for diplomacy.

Ok, that explains everything I had doubts about. Looks good. Thanks and good luck with the release.

Tigranes

Arcane
Great writeup. Between this and other previews a lot of the things I was skeptical about in my preview last summer seem to havebeen improved as you guys went from WIP to gold. My personal expectation is that it won't be super-replayable or complex but a well made and unique title. Worth day 1 then.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Well, these folks seem like p cool guys.

It will be a real shame to stomp their game into the ground :rpgcodex:

Jaedar

Arcane
Patron
Project: Eternity Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pathfinder: Kingmaker
Well done to Grunker for the writeup, :salute: to the Logic Bros for letting the codex into their hearts.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom