Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Development Info RPG Codex Report: Expeditions: Conquistador, Logic Artists and Kickstarter

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Grunker, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Grunkergender: ⚧ RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    Tags: Expeditions: Conquistador; Logic Artists

Expeditions: Conquistador is a turn-based RPG with a focus on exploration and strategy. It is being developed by a small Danish development outfit named Logic Artists, and scheduled to be released on Thursday.* I decided to pay them a visit this week, to have a look at their studio, take some pretty pictures and have a chat with the developers. We spoke about the game, about Kickstarter, and about the trials of making an oldschool RPG in the day and age of cover-based shooters.

*EDIT: Since the release of this article, Logic Artists have post-poned the release date of Expeditions: Conquistador due to distribution-issues. See more here. Ah, Thursdays and their RPG releases.

[​IMG]

2013 is looking to be an interesting year, largely because of events that took place in 2012, a year otherwise so uninteresting that finding actual RPGs to discuss was difficult. A year so bland for cRPGs that GameBanshee decided to give its GOTY awards to games like Kingdoms of Amalur and Darksiders II. Yet in the middle of this RPG desert, the Kickstarter phenomenon kicked off in force, and brought us a slew of new games to look forward to. Oddly, it wasn't just Kickstarter that seemed promising – other games catering to the tastes of the Codex were announced separately as well. A game like Chaos Chronicles, promising a blend of Temple of Elemental Evil, Realms of Arkania and Phantasie was suddenly in the mix, with no Kickstarter-backing or anything of that sort, save a few euros from the German state. As such, whether you feel optimistic about the Kickstarter-phenomenon or not, and whether you personally look forward to the games that are a-coming, one thing certainly seems irrefutable: In 2013, the Codex will finally have games to discuss again.

One of the oldschool RPGs funded by Kickstarter is the difficult to define Expeditions: Conquistador, which is coming out soon (February 28th, in fact), and as such looks like it will be delivered on the schedule promised by the developers during the Kickstarter. One of the few Kickstarted games, it seems, to meet its deadline. As one of the first Kickstarted RPGs to actually be released it is of obvious interest to the Codex, and since their studio is located a manageable 20 minutes on foot from my apartment, I decided to pay Logic Artists, the developers of Conquistador, a visit.

Read the full article: RPG Codex Report: Expeditions: Conquistador, Logic Artists and Kickstarter

• Brofist Brofist x 42
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again Kem0sabegender: ⚧ Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Great article, two things tho...

1. I highly doubt these guys are living the hard life, unless they are hooked on heroin.

2. Star Trek was raped enough last night at the oscars, no need to bring worf into this.

^ Top  
  3. Captain Shrekgender: ⚧ Orbis non-sufficit Dumbfuck

Captain Shrek
    Parrots:
    :love:

^ Top  
  4. Fensgender: ⚧ Ford of the Llies

Fens
    Parrots:
    i see what they did there

[edit]i see what they wanted to do there

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  5. Ulminatigender: ⚧ Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Releasing on a Thursday, giving Grunker doritos & mountain dew, calling us faggots and staying on the schedule their kickstarter promised... is there ANYTHING danish devs cannot do?

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  6. evdkgender: ⚧ comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Escape Denmark.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Ulminatigender: ⚧ Kamelåså! Patron

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Why would we want to escape Denmark? It is a hedonistic paradise that has so far evaded the worst of the multikult decline that ravages Sweden, Germany, France and the UK

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Make America Great Again Kem0sabegender: ⚧ Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

Do people drink this in Denmark as heavily as in the rest of Europe or is it mostly for export?

^ Top  
  9. RedScumgender: ⚧ Arbiter Patron

RedScum
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    They do. Pretty much all of Scandinavia do.

^ Top  
  10. Zerielgender: ⚧ Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    I hadn't heard of this, but this article just made it rise up to the top-tier of anticipated titles for me. RPGCodex, you've arrived in Gaming Journalism: the hype-machine is engaged.

^ Top  
  11. hoverdoggender: ⚧ dog that is hovering, Wastelands Interactive Developer

hoverdog
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    :hero:

• Brofist Brofist x 10
    ^ Top  
  12. Avonaeongender: ⚧ Logic Artists Developer

Avonaeon
    Parrots:
    Carlsberg is shit. Tuborg is where it's at.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. RedScumgender: ⚧ Arbiter Patron

RedScum
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity
    Yeah sure, but when you're at the pub or a club you get a Heineken or Carlsberg most of the times when you order a beer. Mainstream beer. lololol

^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Kem0sabegender: ⚧ Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    I have to visit the great white north someday, friend is doing her internship in Finland (nurse), starting in April, would be a good chance to visit, pretty much only seen snow twice in my life.

Anyways, can´t wait to play this come this weekend.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Crooked Beegender: ⚧ wide-wandering bee Patron

Crooked Bee
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Awesome job, Grunker :salute:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. evdkgender: ⚧ comrade troglodyte :M Patron

evdk
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Define "rest of Europe." Haven't seen this around here outside of some posh places.

^ Top  
  17. Jonasgender: ⚧ Logic Artists Developer

Jonas
    Parrots:
    The idea of Carlsberg being posh is kind of hilarious to me.

^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Kem0sabegender: ⚧ Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    You can order it pretty much anywhere that serves beer here in Portugal, tho the national beers are what most people are drinking these days. But in college i drank it almost exclusively.

^ Top  
  19. Tolknazgender: ⚧ Savant Patron

Tolknaz
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
  20. zeitgeistgender: ⚧ Augur

zeitgeist
    Parrots:
    Wait, so the battles are static? And there's a finite number? So this is just a mission-based game?

^ Top  
  21. grotsnikgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

grotsnik
    Parrots:
    I think the heartening thing is that this isn't all that weird any more. The Codex has done some pretty damn good work of late as a place where some of these smaller projects with varying degrees of niche appeal, from Primordia to Eisenwald to Conquistador to Chaos Chronicles, can get a certain amount of sustained attention. You still see the same enthusiasm for all of these games in the larger communities, but discussion of them seems more likely to get lost or forgotten in the ocean of hyper-popular franchise megathreads. Whereas this forum if nothing else seems to be small and contrarian enough to be able to keep them more in focus and give them a decent public airing.

I did think the sign was a bit cringe. Anyway, I'm looking forward to the game, and to your future work; I think you lads come across really well in your intentions indeed.

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  22. mbpopolano24gender: ⚧ Arbiter

mbpopolano24
    Parrots:
    Wow, look at that. There are actually small indie developers who know what they are doing. Maybe they should make a living traveling the world and giving seminars to other self-proclaimed developers. Looking forward to play it on Thursday (LOL), the little I played with the beta was a nice experience.

^ Top  
  23. CappenVarragender: ⚧ Phantasmist

CappenVarra
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Well done :salute:

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)