Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial RPG Codex Report: A Codexian Visit to inXile Entertainment

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Matt with a full stop at the endgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Matt with a full stop at the end
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    This could be the best interview I've read on the 'dex. Bravo!

Deserved credit to inXile too. They didn't need to do this.

• Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 5
    • hopw roewur ne x 4
    • Disagree x 3
    • incline x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. TalesfromtheCryptgender: ⚧ Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    Parrots:
    I also fully agree with that they said about the shift in tone at the Codex. This placed is becoming filled with retards, and all Kickstarter related topics are especially bad.

• Agree x 14
    • Brofist x 9
    • Shit x 4
    • butthurt x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Bleed the Mangender: ⚧ Prophet Patron

Bleed the Man
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Pretty great interview. For all the talk of Fargo being an oil snake salesman (justified I might add. Not communicating all the cuts to the backers when they were one month away from release is a fucking questionable move even if I were to believe it was just incompetence as they say. Considering their update regarding the cuts didn't even cover all of them, they will need more to convince me that they weren't keeping things quiet intentionally), he comes off very sincere in his answers, even when trying to diminish their screw ups. McComb though just comes across as deeply butthurt, which I can understand, but man, he sounds way too defensive to the point where he seems to be incapable of processing negative feedback of his game.

I would have liked some more follow up questions (the voice acting specially, as they didn't really answer the question, but I get that there are time constraints and is not good to linger on one question too much), and all the background art stuff that Prime Junta posted in the questions thread I think should have been there in some abridged version, but all in all, fantastic interview, with much better responses than what I thought the Codex would get.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Zorba the Huttgender: ⚧ Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Parrots:
    Glad the question about extended preproduction got asked, interesting response considering Fargo's views on it in the original pitch video. The 'one person a month' response when talking about ramping into production and moving people over from WL2DC also raises a few questions. Wonder if Kevin feels he actually had 2 years of production on the project before leaving. Question for a Matt Chat in 10 years or so.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Habagender: ⚧ Harbinger of Decline Patron

Haba
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    I completely agree with you.

• Funny x 18
    • Brofist x 10
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Yeah, McComb is extremely butthurt.
    I feel like he always envied MCA for PST and wanted this to be his masterpiece, but it just didn't turn out. Hey, not everyone has it in them.

But at least butthurt means he cares about his work which is a bonus point, I guess. Would be great if he got out of the denial phase at some point, though.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Salute Salute x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again DarkUnderlordgender: ⚧ Bringing that old Raptor magic. Dumbfuck

DarkUnderlord
    Parrots:
    Look into the Codex and the Codex looks into you
    Don't dis ChopLifter, it's pretty cool mang.

• Doggy x 5
    • Informative x 2
    • Kitty x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    • :M x 1
    • M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Kalingender: ⚧ Arcane

Kalin
    Parrots:
    Yeah, their best game for sure.

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Elwrogender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    I really enjoyed the writing 'around' the interview parts and of course the interview itself. Thank you!

Now, when you read a proper, extensive interview as this one, you can see they are reasonable guys. I see little reason for the nonsense that seems to be filling the KS threads on the Codex lately.

It should've been obvious that just receiving some money from KS by no means guarantees a sure-fire hit, a new timeless classic, or even a successful game, from any studio. I'm not sure there are 100% infallible managers out there. These guys at least seem to notice the mistakes and attempt to do something about them.

Having said that, I'm done with backing their KickStarters or whatever the scheme they come up with -- but not with buying their games after release!

• Brofist x 7
    • Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Seems like a rather genuine interview to me.

Don't really understand why the author wants to remain hidden, but hey. Let us spread the brofists evenly among ourselves.

• Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • Best Deal! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire

• Funny x 19
    • Informative x 5
    • butthurt x 5
    • Salute x 3
    • it is a mystery x 3
    • :M x 3
    • Agree x 2
    • Doggy x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. almondblightgender: ⚧ Arcane

almondblight
    Parrots:
    This...simply isn't true. Torment didn't really start production until then end of 2014 at the earliest, and much more likely later (they were still hiring people in early 2015, and Fargo mentions in the interview that they didn't bring in some people until after WLDC came out - at the end of 2015). Would have been nice to have had some firm numbers for when the team was what size, but the interviewer kind of dropped the ball there (and still not clear when InXile moved from a 1.5 person team to a 2.5 person team).

Anyway, good to have confirmation that Saunders was let go because Fargo wanted to rush the game out rather than because of quality issues; seems to suggest this theory was correct:

Also nice to have Fargo's confirmation that the extended pre-production period was a waste. Not sure how accurate Fargo's "It wouldn't come out until 2018 if we do this" line is; it's quite possible that he initially said "It wouldn't come out until 2017 if we do this." When Keenan came on, he said his main goal was to get the game out in 2016. Of course, if Fargo said "I fired Saunders and cut content because I didn't want to have the game delayed until 2017" now, it'd probably look a bit foolish.

Also kind of funny how predicable their answer about the cut stretch goals was.

As for this:

Yeeeeah....no. You don't sign a contract with a publisher saying that you're going to include multiplayer, then release the game without multiplayer, say, "Hey, we thought it was for the best!" and have the publisher say "All good, no problem man." I mean, hell, in all of the "Kickstarter is awesome!" vids Fargo did, he specifically talked about how it was great that he didn't need a publisher because publishers would force them to do things that they didn't want them to do. Now publishers are often because they don't? Yeah...

Also kind of bullshit to say the Codex was asking for walls of text. A few people were, others were saying that that was fucking stupid.

Anyway, nice of InXile to let the Codex talk to their PR manager. I laughed at the way he was trying to win the Codex over with "You guys really are tier 1!" bullshit - they can't possibly think such a stupid ploy would work, can they? But looking at some of the responses here it seems it did, so hats off to them.

• Brofist x 18
    • Agree x 4
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Cosmogender: ⚧ Arcane

Cosmo
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity
    Ouch...

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Bumvelcrowgender: ⚧ Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Has Chris Avellone really regressed to the mentality of a teenager, or am I reading too much into this?

• Agree x 10
    • Funny x 8
    • Despair x 2
    • Doggy x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Elwrogender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    I agree the 'tier 1' thing was ridiculous. Kinda desperate. What do they think they'd gain from it? If they're in deep financial trouble, then surely this is not the way to go ;)

• Salute Salute x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. thesheeepgender: ⚧ Arcane

thesheeep
    Parrots:
    Do you see an implication in his statement that I don't?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    You bend it as needed. It's not without reason that he's got a snakeoil salesman reputation around here.

lul, why didn't BN show up there too? Apparently they don't know who did it... it was "someone".

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  18. Bumvelcrowgender: ⚧ Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Taking a bit shit all over Obsidian, from what I see.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I didn't read Avellone's tweet as anti-Obsidian.

O rly. Find me anti-wall of text posts on the Codex from before PoE's release.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Bleed the Mangender: ⚧ Prophet Patron

Bleed the Man
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    But Obsidian have been really open in their interviews and when interacting with the community? Might be talking Feargus specifically, but I don't think applies to him either.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Starwarsgender: ⚧ Arcane

Starwars
    Parrots:
    Avellone has been having diarrhea for quite a while now so nothing new there.

Also... nice in-depth interview that is likely to bloat the ego of the Codex even more.

:kingcomrade:

• Shit Shit x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Bumvelcrowgender: ⚧ Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Parrots:
    It just reads as toy-throwing rather than as a legitimate complaint about the community interactions of his former company.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Now, I'm speaking only for myself, but I don't have a problem with walls of text. FFS, I play text adventures. Those are literally walls of text.
    I do have a problem with walls of shitty text, though. Bad writing is much more forgivable if you can go through it fast.

And it's still unclear why big parts of the junk-tier writing in this game weren't simply fucking cut out.

So... right.. back to your post... find me posts against walls of text of good quality?

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Lurker Kinggender: ⚧ Self-Ejected The Real Fanboy

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:

^ Top  
  25. Crospygender: ⚧ Learned

Crospy
    Parrots:
    The ship is sinking, they have no choice but to admit it and move on. Snake oil salesmen can show professionalism you know? professionalism in this case would be to do damage control with the community.
    He is totally a sham, but he knows how to act like one.

They don't want to completely cut their bridges with the gaming community no matter how harsh our comments can be because they don't want to become like DoubleBear with no one to sell games to.

I mean, this is what DoubleBear is making these days :

From Dead State to this. Eh.

This isn't Fargo being a nice human being. This is Fargo understanding that InXile could just end up like DoubleBear if they handled the fiasco the same way.

• Funny x 8
    • Agree x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)