Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial RPG Codex Report: A Codexian Visit to inXile Entertainment

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    So instead of spending that extended pre-prod on making a design and a plan, they spent it typing manically. Makes sense. Glad to have that cleared up. :salute:

• Funny x 20
    • Agree x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Graukengender: ⚧ Prophet Patron

Grauken
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    Now we need a follow-up with Kevin Saunders to get his perspective

• Agree x 21
    • Brofist x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • meh x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Crospygender: ⚧ Learned

Crospy
    Parrots:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heist_(video_game)

So much for trust. I mean, were it not for KS, you'd still be mostly relegated to making such great classics as Choplifter HD.

Also lulz:

You don't even pass that low bar.

Once the KS craze dies, enjoy your career in shovelware.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Zerielgender: ⚧ Arcane

Zeriel
    Parrots:
    But D:OS sold like hotcakes. I think the lesson to take away here is not that isometric games don't sell (hell, Diablo 3 of all games is isometric of a sort!), but that boredly phoning in a game obsessed with nostalgia and nostalgia alone won't cut it. When there's no passion, fans can tell.

• Agree Agree x 9
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  5. Sensukigender: ⚧ Arcane Cuck

Sensuki
    Parrots:
    Codex 2014 Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong A Beautifully Desolate Campaign
    Hahahah, I remember this song.

OH OH AL OH EYE EE EYEE AH

• Funny x 6
    • Friendly x 3
    • Old x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    One is not disconnected from the other. What can be implemented is often more important than what the designer wants.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Don Pestegender: ⚧ Arcane

Don Peste
    Parrots:
    Hello, I'm glad you enjoyed my interview. Thank you, guys! :)

• Funny x 18
    • [citation needed] x 8
    • it is a mystery x 3
    • Disagree x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • M: x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Tramboigender: ⚧ Savant

Tramboi
    Parrots:
    Moreover, sometimes the game designer is good and analytical, can think about the system globally, and can convey a vision that can actually be coded.
    Sometimes not, he can't envision edge cases and interactions, and you get communication trouble, and dozens of iterations do do even the simplest thing.
    Most game designers I worked with were of the second sort, the first one is a rare and precious breed.

^ Top  
  9. aratukgender: ⚧ Savant

aratuk
    Parrots:
    Slightly surprised at all the people hung up on "broken promises," like whether there are five companions, or seven, or how many towns you can visit, or whether you get to have your own house, or make your own clothes.

Please realize that no one — not even you — would give a shit about the presence or absence of these arbitrary extras if the result had been a coherent, genuinely engaging game. And such a game could have been made from the same number of pieces as there currently are in the one we have.

From what I'm hearing, I can only guess that it wasn't, since I personally haven't got around to playing it yet :M
    Having read this interview, maybe now I'll wait until the game has received the benefit of some of Fargo's famous iteration magic.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Brofist Brofist x 6
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 2
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. panzertotergender: ⚧ Arbiter

panzertoter
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  11. Iznaliugender: ⚧ Arbiter

Iznaliu
    Parrots:
    I think PoE2 and DoS2 will sell reasonably; the failure of T:TON was due to more specific elements of the game's design. For example, there has been a trend towards more of a focus on gameplay (vs. story) over the last ~5 years, and T:TON doesn't fit in

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Maxiegender: ⚧ Erudite

Maxie
    Parrots:
    Ziets needs some proteins

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • meh meh x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Goralgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    I agree he's in denial but he's right about tastes, for example you love to play shitty Japanese games...

• Funny x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • Agree x 3
    • Edgy x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    • butthurt x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. karfhudgender: ⚧ Learned

karfhud
    Parrots:
    Cool interview, thanks. TToN has its problems, but it's a solid story-driven RPG, with moments of brilliance. The user reviews paint an ugly and simply untrue picture; I feel sorry for inXile, they really didn't deserve this much of a backlash.

Also, asking about releasing on consoles and that somehow hampering the quality of the game? Seriously, it's not 2003 anymore, developing for consoles isn't as hard as it used to be... this issue has been milled over a thousand times and it still makes it into the interview.

• Brofist x 5
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • rolleyes x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Gauldur's Baitgender: ⚧ Learned

Gauldur's Bait
    Parrots:
    Great effort with the interview!

Their best this, their best that...

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 6
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Prestigious Prestigious x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. hivemindgender: ⚧ Arcane

hivemind
    Parrots:
    i hope inXile make another kickstarter fig campaign and scam some more of you retards

• butthurt x 13
    • Funny x 11
    • Edgy x 7
    • Brofist x 4
    • Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. TheWorldgender: ⚧ Literate

TheWorld
    Parrots:
    Very nice interview, even though Fargo mostly went with the "PR" route and gave the "right answers". I can sympathize with what he said about user reviews because I feel it's a current trend. Some people will point at some issues in a game (rightly or wrongly) , and then everybody else will follow hive-mind style, often without having played the game for more than half an hour and not knowing what they're talking about. Some games are completely destroyed on steam this way, often for issues not even related to the game itself.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Bumvelcrowgender: ⚧ Bellator Sempervirens Patron

Bumvelcrow
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I enjoyed that. Shame the interviewer didn't want to identify herself and thus forfeits brofists. Couple of things that occurred to me:

Torment 2 would have been a hell of a lot better of if it was called anything else. Still make it Torment influenced but don't call it that and set people's expectations so high. For example, I still haven't played it for more than a few minutes because it doesn't feel like PS:T. If it had been some other game I might have finished it by now. It may not have received the same amount of backing but those who bought it might have reacted more positively.

Sounds like they got out of their depth with T:ToN pre-production. Not surprising as many of us were carried away by the name. Sounds like Brian is aware of the problems.

Whatever motivated the contact from InXile, it seems like there is a genuine attempt at reconciliation, and it would be nice to have some level of communication back. It's not like we're so overrun with mid-table RPG developers that we can afford to give them the silent treatment. It's not as though Brian has much incentive to lie to us since W3 is going to be his last game.

Lots of avoiding the issue when it comes to T:ToN writing and design problems. It will find it's market. Maybe not, and maybe the patches will fix a lot of the problems, but from what I've played of it so far it's only ever going to be a flawed gem at best. If it had been from any other company and under any other name it might be labelled a 'brave failure'.

Still, I feel a bit more positively towards InXile now, and I think this was an interview that needed to happen. Given time and patches I might be able to play T:ToN without getting angry, and I may even end up buying W3!

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Salute Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Jesus, he keeps yapping about the word count. And they had a specification for a minimum amount of words? What the fuck? :retarded:

• Agree Agree x 7
    • retadred retadred x 2
    ^ Top  
  20. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    I had a bad feeling about quality of TToN so I learned my lesson and skipped on WL3. BT4 will be for me the last KS of theirs I backed, they will need to have at least two awesome games back to back to get me to trust them again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Best Deal! Best Deal! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I think the specification was for maximum number of words, or rather the expected number of words.

Does that sound soulless and creatively bankrupt to you? I'm sure most professionally developed games have things like this. Specification for number of areas, specification for number of hours of playtime...

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. ArchAngelgender: ⚧ Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    I don't know if you are trying to be edgy or you somehow managed to not play Underrail, but nobody from Poland or Russia has made the game of similar or better quality as those Serbian guys did (at least in terms of tactical gameplay and combat).

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. FeelTheRadsgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

FeelTheRads
    Parrots:
    Oh, right, guess I misunderstood. What with his bragging about how many words there are I thought it that he set up a minimum of 600k.

I'm not sure what you mean about the second part of your post. I'm only talking about this focus on word count like it's something that means anything.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Shadenuatgender: ⚧ Arcane

Shadenuat
    Parrots:
    I'd also forget about making games and working and just slack off if my office was at a place like that :shittydog:

One (Belo)russian studio also got far away from reality because their lead designers live in a building on friggin Cyprus

To be a good writer one must suffer :outrage: (replace potatoface with Dostoevsky portrait)

• incline incline x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  25. TalesfromtheCryptgender: ⚧ Arcane

TalesfromtheCrypt
    Parrots:
    Good, honest and frank interview. I regained some respect for the InExile guys though I won't be backing any of their future projects antytime soon. Maybe if against all odds Wasteland 3 turns out decent and they keep supporting ToN I'll change my attitude.

I think that interview shows that Fargo is not the fraudster super villain some people on the 'dex regard him as.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    • Agree x 9
    • Disagree x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)