Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial RPG Codex Report: A Codexian Visit to inXile Entertainment

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 13, 2017.

1. DemonKing Magister

DemonKing
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    PS:Torment was never a huge seller and I imagine that a lot of people that bought it "back in the day" based on the Dungeons & Dragons license/infinity engine expecting a Baldur's Gate style adventure never finished it. Bringing out a new game and trying to replicate "the magic" of the original was always going to be a tough ask, given that those that loved the original would have impossibly high expectations and those that didn't wouldn't buy it anyway. Inxile will probably be lucky to break even (eventually) on this one. Console sales will be negligible.

Interested to read his thought on the creative process and that IWD was the only time the whole thing went smoothly and according to plan. Probably explains why the end product is so cohesive.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    Regarding the "reconciliation", the ball was always in their court. While it would be nice to have more devs posting here, I don't really see how the status quo really hurts codex if devs lurk while information flows out. I don't really see why the community has to moderate or self-censor when devs can just use the ignore function for anyone they deem particularly unconstructive. So not sure what exactly they are expecting here. AFAICT nobody here is deliberately undermining or sabotaging them, if anything we have a surplus of uncritical fanboyism.

As for sales, it's already been said so often I dunno why it has to be repeated but 1) they own the games and 2) heavy-narrative RPGs were always going to be long tail by their very nature of taking a long time to play and spread by word of mouth. If they were expecting a blockbuster hit that sells on name recognition...

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  3. Iznaliu Learned

Iznaliu
    Parrots:
    Sawyer is always right.

• Balanced x 13
    • Brofist x 3
    • hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Salute x 3
    • [citation needed] x 2
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. TT1 Learned Patron

TT1
    Parrots:
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Nice interview, Codex. Congrats!

I think Codex should take the opportunity and really reconcile with Inxile. In the end, Brian apologized and is doing his part. It does not make sense for Codex, as a portal of content and news, to be away from one of the companies that produces the games that are the theme of the site. Seize the opportunity and move on.

• Agree Agree x 11
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Crolug Educated

Crolug
    Parrots:
    Bethesda and BioWare claim they're also doing cRPGs - should we reconcile with them as well?

• Funny x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • retadred x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    • Rage x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Parrots:
    I will note that "commercial failure" is not a bad point in Codex's book, particularly mine. We like flawed gems, and a feature of flawed gem generally is a low sale number. bad for devs, sure, but there you have it.

Nah, Eastern Europe, either Poland or Russia is where it's at. I would have said jap devs will save the day but those otaku fuckers are expensive.

And he blame Codex's opinion of wallotext. Problem is, Codex is not a hivemind, and storyfags is just one very vocal but minor faction.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Parrots:
    Am I the only one who thinks it is mainly because of the Numenera setting that it failed? Wasn't it a flop? I remember people I knew being very excited to try out the pen and paper game, and ending up finding it too absurd, pretentious and simplistic and giving up on it.

Nobody except those who made it like Numenera.

Are there seriously still people making regular campaigns of Numenera continuously, that have lasted for years, like is the case for countless other settings like D&D, Cthulhu or GURPS? I know guys who basically played the same Cthulhu or GURPS campaign for ten years.

The second reason why it failed IMO echoes the comment someone made in another thread about the gaming industry: game developers nowadays are game nerds who have few life experiences and have no frame of reference or ability to create good culture.

Millennials have lived very sheltered, controlled lives in safe environments, and due to growing up on the Internet, they haven't gone outside that much and had the experiences required to draw from and create good content. They also read useless web pages, Facebook posts, Twitter videos... whereas for those of us who knew life pre-Internet, we had to read classic novels and comics or films.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2017
    • Brofist x 9
    • Salute x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Informative x 3
    • Despair x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Crolug Educated

Crolug
    Parrots:
    Poland is in Central Europe :M

• [citation needed] x 6
    • Funny x 3
    • Racist x 2
    • Disagree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Shilandra Literate

Shilandra
    Parrots:
    I dont think the numenera setting let the game down that much, in fact it kinda saved it at least for me.

The concept of worlds built on top of worlds is interesting and I like how relatively varied the set pieces were, places like the reef and bloom especially. Tides especially were captivating for me I just wish they were actively used more. Worldbuilding through oddities and numenera is a neat take as well and worked in the game as well as it could have.

Effort and edge replacing proper stats were definitely a downer but they get the job done I suppose. Thats one big weakness of the setting I can see.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. laclongquan Arcane

laclongquan
    Parrots:
    Poland is always an Eastern Europe, former-commie nation to me. Dont even try to avoid your past!

Aaaaaaanyway~

Regarding the Codex-Inxile relation, I still have hope. For one thing, Codex is no hivemind, so even if someone get their panties in a twist, there's still other. For another, we love flawed gem and Numenera got "flawed" inscribed onto its face. So after several round of fixes and expansions and mods, I am pretty damn sure it would become another flawed gem we :bounce: over.

My impression from this very well done interview is that there's hope still for Numenera. Several things can be fixed, or expanded, or modded. Once that work are done, it will be glorious.

Regarding setting: I am not too particular about Numenera setting. I like DnD and Planescape setting BECAUSE OF Torment, not vice versa.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Humanity has risen! Arcane Patron Repressed Homosexual

Humanity has risen!
    Parrots:
    Maybe it is original to have worlds within a world... but it's difficult to know exactly what Numenera is about for the average Joe. It's too weird and incoherent a mishmash.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Make America Great Again ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    There're flawed gems and flawed games. Numanuma ain't the former.

• Yes! Yes! x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. MrBuzzKill Savant

MrBuzzKill
    Parrots:
    It doesn't seem to have, recently there was even a Numenera-themed Thunderstone (boardgame) expansion

[​IMG]

WELL WHY DIDN'T YOU?! I hate the fact that all companions are boring humans. I'd MUCH rather have a silver orphan or a rogue Stychus or at least a Varjellen or a Lascar accompany me. Why does Colin imply that any story could be told with a human character? Fuck that, the whole reason P:T companions are so awesome is because they have their uniquely weird perspective on everything you encounter, due to being of a whole different people and often atypical even for their own race (FFG, Nordom)

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    I always thought a Decanted could be pretty fun for a companion.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Shilandra Literate

Shilandra
    Parrots:
    Maybe the mishmashed weirdness can be a part of its charm? There's a greater chance of someone finding at least one thing that resonates with them. For me it was one of the little dead language fish you could catch at the beginning of the game. Its ultimately an insignificant throwaway item worth less than a few shins but I consciously kept it with me through my whole play through because I loved its design and concept.

This I couldn't agree with more. Outside of rhin and erritis the companions felt really lackluster and even though you do get a quest for them and some dialogue here and there they felt hard to relate to and very shallow. If inexile had made them extensions of the world they could have had far more to say and been far more interesting.

Out of everything one of the things that dissapointed me most was talking to one of my companions, asking how they were holding up, and getting the same canned response over and over again regardless of actions we just took, stats, or quests we just completed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Parrots:
    The biggest nontechnical problem with the game for me was that the Last Castoff was not actually Tormented. He was pretty much innocent and his actions were in reaction to what the Changing God did and had nothing to do with who he was. The central part of PS:T was that the NO was tied to his own actions and that dynamic is completely missing.

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Aenra The Invisible Empire Patron

Aenra
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    What kind of assfuckery is this?

"Secret agent?"
    What happened to transparency and the balls to be yourself, say your piece? Here of all places, not like anyone's disallowed to express their opinion, is it.

Some special faggot is too sensitive, so O.K.? Anonymously? Are we gonna be like SHIT sites, where "guest writers" shill or write at their whim? No consequences?
    What the fuck is this guys? We are like, so not like that.

I understand why you'd all want this article up in the front page, why you wouldn't wish to let such an opportunity slip by the Codex. With you; but we do things a certain way here. This is a bad kind of a first.
    Men have names and the balls to stand by their words.

DarkUnderlord Boss sorry for tagging you but for the love of God, don't let them do this again. It's a slippery slope and content/context depending, it can lead to even more assfuckery.

edit: because someone's bound to mention this. Yes, i know it's our questions. It's setting the precedent that bugs me. And come to think of it, since it's our questions, not the guest writer's, why would this sensitive faggot feel the need to post anonymously and why would we allow it? After all he's just a "representative", right?

• Brofist x 17
    • butthurt x 5
    • Edgy x 3
    • Rage x 3
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    Too much PR shit in that, too many well used phrases we've all heard afore, Bomber Harris had right on it.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • No No x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Grauken Prophet Patron

Grauken
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech
    It takes all kinds on the codex. Some for example are histronic drama queens

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. oasis789 Arcane

oasis789
    Parrots:
    I would be fine with the anonymity if the interviewer had stuck to interviewing but since he decided to editorialize at the end, he should either take credit or cut the opinion out.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  21. Make America Great Again Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis, Hater of Eternity

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    You can only be objective when you like us.

Brian Fargo rolls dodge. Failure by 3 degrees!

Nope, we never had no problems with kommunikashun :lol:

Also, playtesting your own game, wot dat? :lol:

Yeah, right. Look at me taking this at face value. What a joke :russiastronk:

"Hey, here's a woman who has fractured herself across different dimensions! Now she'll be acting just like every other generic mage or whatever character in every other game!

What do you mean she's ordinary?!"

• Brofist x 14
    • Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    Parrots:
    Nice interview, sure. But there's still a lot of PR talk and playing the victim there. Learning how to take a loss could do wonders for a lot of people, not just devs. The more you come up with excuses, the more complex the mental gymnastics get, eventually you start believing in your own bullshit and unknowingly slide into mediocrity.

You can see it a lot in Fargo's responses (the part about publishers is especially telling), his heart might have been in the right place initially (and I mean Interplay days), but he didn't learn from his mistakes, hence why he's working in a small ass studio while spewing average, uninspired products, yet wondering how come no one buys into it anymore.

Ziets' situation is weird though, man's consistently good as his content speaks for itself, yet he still works at inExile. I honestly don't get it.

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Disagree Disagree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Aenra The Invisible Empire Patron

Aenra
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire
    If you lack what it takes to grasp a simple concept, what do you do in the Dex? Go edgy. Never fails.

• butthurt butthurt x 2
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Goral Arcane Patron The Real Fanboy

Goral
    Parrots:
    Brian: Before we have a question, first, I want to apologize to you guys.- don't believe him

I quite used to enjoy reading the Codex.
    - don't believe him

I think somebody said that you guys weren’t a first tier website. There was a lot of insulting stuff. I apologize for the whole thing and the way it went down
    . - does he want to suggest that Codex is top tier after all or is he just stating the fact? Since he apologizes for that and considers it an insult I assume it's another lie and a spit to the face

Recently - I kind of stopped looking at it - but I heard it was saying horrible things about our guy in Thailand who was running an orphanage, or that there was Nazi stuff. - lol

I’m just trying to offer an olive branch here so that you guys at least understand that I’ll be honest about things we fucked up - Brian using this kind of language tries to show that he's being honest and talks like colleague with colleague but it also shows that he doesn't take Codex seriously, he would never use this kind of language with first tier website representatives.

Jim: I know that someone had mentioned that the Codex wasn’t top tier but for RPGs, I want to say, we view them as top tier. - PR spoken by PR guy

When did this interview happen?

QFT.
    lol
    All in all very interesting interview and the trip was worth it but the amount of lies and PR talk was as expected.

• butthurt x 7
    • Brofist x 6
    • Funny x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. TheSentinel Savant

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    Pretty nice interview. Always nice to see developers speaking honestly.

Maybe with Ziets at the helm Wasteland 3 will end up being inXile's first good game. We'll see.

• hopw roewur ne x 3
    • Brofist x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)