Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial RPG Codex Report: A Codexian Visit to inXile Entertainment

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 13, 2017.

1. I'm With Her Mustawd for prison Arcane

Mustawd
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Good article. That kid statue is freaky as hell.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Abu Antar Arcane Patron

Abu Antar
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    CHBWD-IH45K-XPA2T

• Funny x 6
    • Salute x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • WTF!? x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Excidium II Arcane

Excidium II
    Parrots:
    I knew the codex would send someone spineless, InXile folks dodge questions and he just jumps to the next one.

Not even playing their own game?

• Brofist x 7
    • Agree x 4
    • Edgy x 4
    • Despair x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Make America Great Again Zorba the Hutt Arcane Weasel

Zorba the Hutt
    Parrots:
    I thought his comment was implying that of the money they got from the console deal (Techland) only 20% was directly for the port and the rest was added to the overall dev budget, not that 20% of the overall budget was spent porting it.

• Agree Agree x 21
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Brother None is such a whiny little effeminate cunt...

Inxile is on the defensive for most of the interview, they are truly dumbfounded about why the game failed sales wise and why the community seems to have responded poorly. Doesnt bode well for their yet to be released games.

• Brofist Brofist x 15
    • Funny Funny x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Make America Great Again Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    They spent over 8.5 million to release this in 2017. You think they would have had enough sales to recoup millions more?

• Agree Agree x 7
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I'm thinking a possible way to "save Torment" would have been to take a risk and invest in developing it simultaneously with Wasteland 2, rather than waiting for WL2's production to conclude. I feel like a reason why the game failed is that it just took so long to make that it sort of lost its place in public awareness and by the time it finally came out people didn't care anymore. Even its own backers didn't seem to care, with tons of them refusing to unlock their beta keys.

But of course that could have turned out very badly.

• Disagree x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Abu Antar Arcane Patron

Abu Antar
    Parrots:
    I think that releasing a product that wasn't complete, (and fully out of early access), and did receive bad word of mouth, during a quarter in the year that was busy as fuck with new releases, and a new console release that made the media have no focus on this game, would have been a good thing in the end.

Everything surrounding the release of this game was either negative from some places or not enough coverage from some places.

As my man Shigeru Miyamoto once said:
    Of course, they shouldn't have bothered with Wasteland 2 on consoles either. They became greedy.

• Agree Agree x 4
    ^ Top  
  9. Black Angel Savant

Black Angel
    Parrots:
    That quote has to be changed/revised or something. There's some shit like Duke Nukem Forever, you know?

Although.... we did had Age of Decadence.... but maybe until Grimoire ACTUALLY released For Sure™, we'll see how true that quote is.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:

To keep in mind the scope of this, they would have had to outperform two years of Wasteland 2 sales just to break even.
    [​IMG]

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Abu Antar Arcane Patron

Abu Antar
    Parrots:
    Maybe they shouldn't have waited until 2018, but for a calmer period in the year and with a more stable version and with less content. Let's say they would need to spend an overall $10 million on the game. I would still have done it. But I get your point.

^ Top  
  12. Abu Antar Arcane Patron

Abu Antar
    Parrots:
    By the way, why does the interviewer want to be anonymous?

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 13
    • :M :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    Parrots:
    I didn't participate in the kickstarter/beta so I don't know what kind of feedback they were getting. But Fargo's focus on number of words in response to questions about content seems strange to me. As if much of the positive feedback they were getting boiled down to "more words", which seems unlikely.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. Make America Great Again Outlander Custom Tags Are For Fags. Patron

Outlander
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    :martini:

• Funny x 24
    • Brofist x 2
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. flabbyjack Arcane

flabbyjack
    Parrots:
    Watch it sell 100,000 more copies when the price dips to $30. Sales is all about market timing, bros. Everybody is still playing Age of Fear. ... next time try for a Christmas release? I for one love the idea of Mere-like cutscenes. Insert more dissonant thoughts here.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Best Deal! Best Deal! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Sadly, Colin comes across as someone still deep in denial... like he actually thinks he made a game that's better than PST and people don't see that because they aren't "open to enjoying it".

Age of Fear, that game that only sold 20k copies? Much people, very success.

And lowering price will of course increase sales, but nowadays there are so many games being released with prices all over the spectrum that that alone won't cut it. I can go to Steam right now and buy PST:EE, Bayonetta AND Cosmic Star Heroine and it would still be cheaper than Numanuma alone. And a thousand times more enjoyable.

• Brofist x 10
    • Agree x 8
    • Funny x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • No x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    Because when he joins inXile he still wants to be able to post here without you guys knowing. :smug:

I thought that was a very nice interview, great questions and meaty answers. Maybe it will lead to a hudna.

• Funny x 15
    • Agree x 10
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 8
    • Brofist x 2
    • [citation needed] x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Salute x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Old x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again Irenaeus Self-Ejected Patron Dumbfuck Repressed Homosexual The Real Fanboy

Irenaeus
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Hate to agree with this faggot.

• Funny x 11
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Crispy The Sum of All Evils Undisputed Queen of Faggotry

Crispy
    Parrots:
    Enjoyed the interview. It needs/needed better editing, though. Where is Crooked Bee?

- The comment about not counting QA as part of the team made me lol
    - Fargo seems genuinely contrite and I like the fact that inXile seems to be generally a humble and ultimately honest organization

But he needs to remember on his way out that no matter what he says, no matter how many apologies are issued (and accepted), the quality of or lack thereof his work speaks far more volume. If you hit a home run with Bard's Tale IV, Brian, and I suspect you will, you could tell Codex to fuck right off and we'd still love you. But put out another clunker like T:ToN and you'd better move to some foreign country when you retire. Wait, that sounded like a threat. We're not like that. Seriously.

I'll shut up now.

• Fabulously Optimistic x 6
    • Brofist x 4
    • Agree x 4
    • Shit x 2
    • Best Deal! x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. himmy Arcane

himmy
    Parrots:

As much as the Codex seems to hate relationships in games, as much does it seem to love having made-up relations with devs they never met. Don't get me wrong, it's perfectly legitimate to have a critical attitude towards a studio, but some people here read way too much bad fantasy for their own good, too the point whey the imbue franchises with a human qualities like honour and purity and get mad when a certain game series they like gets *defiled*.

For real, if I were to work in a game studio and see the sort of rapport the Codex is trying to have with me I would avoid that with the same vehemence that I avoid the sexual advances of drunk people with fresh vomit on their shirt in nightclubs.

• Agree x 16
    • Funny x 6
    • Brofist x 4
    • hopw roewur ne x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Shilandra Literate

Shilandra
    Parrots:
    Im not sure why pain casting didn't make it into the game. From what im reading about it in the interview it sounds like it would have reinforced what the sorrow was talking about in a more immediate and visceral way since it affected you companions. Maybe tidal surges hurting people is more pronounced in the game itself but I never used them because of rhin and the effort system rendered the option pointless.

Also with regard to wordy lore dumps there may be actually entertaining ways of doing them. of the games mentioned I liked torments and tyranny's lore dumps but pillars put me to sleep. Even numenera, at least when talking about the tides or the world, was interesting. There were plenty of writing plummets throughout the game (Changing god first reveal, everything about the sorrow, several companions, ect) But I still feel they have the ability to write interesting stuff. General wordiness isn't much of a problem here.

And I believe Im one of the people colin keeps talking about. I didn't back the game and didn't really follow any news about the game until it was released and I do seem to have a more positive opinion of the game than most I see around here. But even to me I think its just a perfectly serviceable rpg. Ultimately worth the money I spent on it but with very noticeable room to grow and improve. After all, a game that gives me about 3 or 4 different opportunities to just off myself for non-standard endings is good, but if it doesn't actually give me actual reasons to view those options as legitimate and meaningful alternative paths to take its still got some major work to do.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Thanks! Thanks! x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Repulsive Self-Ejected Patron

Self-Ejected
    Parrots:
    Nice interview, Fargo seemed pretty sincere here in his apology.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Friendly Friendly x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • Love! Love! x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Valky Learned Manlet

Valky
    Parrots:
    I expected inExile to treat our ambassador to a steak dinner as a minimum apology.

• Prestigious Prestigious x 5
    • Funny Funny x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. Fry Magister

Fry
    Parrots:
    Nice interview. Thanks, mystery SoCal man.

I think the uncomfortable truth is that T:ToN's poor sales have little to do with the Steam reviews or angry Codexians and more to do with broader trends. I don't expect future isometric RPGs to sell much beyond their backer numbers, as Obsidian is likely to discover next year.

Now I'm curious which county he works for. I need someone to yell at the next time I get stuck on jury duty for a month.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Good interview, and all in all I think it was open and frank. It's good to get some AFAIK previously unknown details on just how barebones the game was by late 2015, such and such.

I think most devs of underperforming games all over the world tend to think "mistakes were made, but the game isn't quite as bad as some people think it is." Honestly, I think TTON was hurt more by bad decisions on how to disclose what aspects of the story to the player when, than mere 'wordiness'.

Torment was never going to make POE/DOS numbers, but yeah, when you end up putting in 9m, it's going to be tough to break even on a project like this.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)