Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Editorial RPG Codex Report: A Codexian Visit to inXile Entertainment

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 13, 2017.

1. J_C One Bit Studio Patron Developer

J_C
    Parrots:
    Project: Eternity Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    Click here and disable ads!
    As someone who got his degree in finance, I say you should have gone to engineering. :D

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Agree Agree x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Make America Great Again cvv Arcane Patron

cvv
    Parrots:
    Yes, that has been a prevailing sentiment in the industry in the last few years. Unfortunately to study engineering you actually need some measure of genuine talent. In economics/finance you can largely bullshit your way to the diploma, cushy job and eventually even a couple of promotions.

• Agree x 5
    • Brofist x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • incline x 1
    • You're Fired! x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Zed Duke of Banville Arcane Patron

Zed Duke of Banville
    Parrots:
    Torment: Tides of Numenera has revealed the difference between a David Zeb Cook setting and a Monte Cook setting, as well as the difference between a game written by Chris Avellone and by Colin McComb. :M

• Brofist x 5
    • Agree x 5
    • Despair x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Salute x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    • Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Crospy Learned

Crospy
    Parrots:
    • Informative Informative x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Make America Great Again Tacgnol Arcane Patron

Tacgnol
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    Never seemed that crazy when she posted here.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. santino27 Savant

santino27
    Parrots:
    Agreed. Remember her posting around SoZ time frame and she seemed as sane as the rest of us... which may admittedly be damning her with faint praise.

• Funny Funny x 10
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    She was always obnoxiously loud. Her opinions changed.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Awakened_Yeti Augur

Awakened_Yeti
    Parrots:

so its the codex's fault... good to know

is it also their fault that the writing is relentlessly sophomoric psuedo-intellectual drivel?

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Axie Novice

Axie
    Parrots:
    In good films with proper directing, the author(s) knows why exactly he wanted the actor in scene 23 to blink twice, turn to left and why that music had to start the second a balloon flies over the actor's head. It was his vision and film either succeed or failed. This guys don't know why the artwork is this not that. "It wasn't on the level we wanted" — you should have asked them "what level", I'm sure they have no idea.

This guys only know to make expensive lemonades. Ones you are not sure are they with sugar or not. They function on principle "we didn't have enough time to write a short story so we wrote war-and-peace-like novel" (wonder if that saying translates well). Let's have 323 writers, it sounds cool. And let's pile word count like there is no tomorrow, it will make quality. Like those monkeys with pens and Shakespeare.

Either small team or big team with proper author-despot. Otherwise better read books and watch movies, not lose time on games coming from California 2000s. It's the land of Singularity-gospel, fake teeth'n'tits and social apps... Why expect art to live there anymore

• Brofist Brofist x 11
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Make America Great Again LeStryfe79 Wino Patron

LeStryfe79
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    I apologize inXile for the mean things.

• Funny Funny x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    No. That's because he had to show his ego. You want me to do an interview, fine! But I wont answer any questions!

^ Top  
  12. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    If he can't fucking talk in front of people how FFS can he be a lead in the fucking game? Or be a top manager if he likes to hide under the table?

But his problem is his EGO and desire not to answer questions.

^ Top  
  13. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    Not to defend him, but public speaking and team management are different skills.

Ego's one thing. What he is, is completely deluded. Take this excerpt:

This is just... wrong on every conceivable level. It's even worse than Tim Schafer's "You're playing it wrong." comment regarding Broken Age.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes! Yes! x 2
    ^ Top  
  14. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    No they are not different skills, because you have to speak to groups of people constantly. Besides there was one interviewer...

No that's Trump level EGO. I am the bestest creative person in the room and Numaderpa did bigly! The sales were the greatest ever! People are calling me by the phone and saying that Numaderpa is Yuge and they are having a great time. Haters gonna hate. It's the crooked codex! Sad!

• Funny x 5
    • WTF!? x 3
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    They are different skills, as is well known by anyone who's done them.

It's funny how everybody's in agreement that Colin's not seeing the light but you insist on your own random theory that IT MUST BE HIS EGO I HATE HIM SO MUCH.

• Agree Agree x 6
    ^ Top  
  16. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    Well yes and no.

Upon doing careful analysis I found that SJWs are the same unfulfilled red necks, but they found a method by trial and error how to avoid being criticized back and to avoid any conversations. They choose subjects which are perceived to stand on a higher moral ground in a society. Hence, you can't criticize minorities, fat people, women or anyone openly anymore, because you will be eaten alive if you do it publicly.

However, the methods used by SJWs are exactly the same as soviets, nazis (which they claim to hate) and other killing regimes. That's intimidation and violence. Every SJW was proud when some guy publicly knocked out a racist during a rallying and cucks applauded it. Fuck free speech, the law, the first amendment and fuck freedom of opinion. It's all irrelevant if it goes against SJW agenda.

That retarded Manveer Heer or however that dumb fuck was called, was given a managing position at bioware despite being unqualified and from third world, still did everything he could to preach about white supremacy and how he hates white people despite living in their country... But you can't argue with that dumb fuck in public? Can you?

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Build the Wall! Build the Wall! x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    I don't care about lemmings, sorry.

You can't fucking manage people if you are afraid speaking to them or can't speak to a few of them at once FFS.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
    • retadred retadred x 5
    ^ Top  
  18. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    Parrots:
    Managing subordinates is a different skill than teaching is a different skill than being interesting/charming/convincing in front of a room full of people. They are only superficially similar in that they involve communicating with others.

I doubt McComb was afraid to do the interview so much as he didn't want to do it. If it were my decision, I wouldn't have made him do it as having him there didn't real serve Fargo's purpose much.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Sizzle Arcane

Sizzle
    Parrots:
    Once again - there's a big difference in speaking in front of a crowd of strangers or giving an interview, and talking with your colleagues.

I work with some people who are exceptional bosses - they know how to organize time, appreciate their underlings and know what their strengths and weaknesses are. Yet, when it comes to giving monthly review analysis speeches to the entire company, they're always very nervous and uncomfortable doing it.

It's possible Fargo didn't know Colin would behave like an uncooperative butthurt prick, but that's just one more reason to believe that his blatant unprofessionalism is a big part of why T:ToN turned out like it did.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Prime Junta Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Jesus fuck you're a nitwit. But then somebody who takes Myers-Briggs personality types seriously enough to put them in his tagline is one by definition.

• Funny x 10
    • Brofist x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Saduj Arcane

Saduj
    Parrots:
    Yes, but I'm much smarter because I have the benefit of 20/20 hindsight.

^ Top  
  22. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    Why do you care? If I would write Fag in my tag line would you also care and write about it?

You have something relevant to say or you want to discuss proper etiquette of tag lines?

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Kev Inkline Arcane

Kev Inkline
    Parrots:
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I think he was trying to insinuate that you already have such a tagline. Or in your case, fagline.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. l3loodAngel Proud INTJ Patron

l3loodAngel
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Parrots:
    I know some will consider my post weebish but I do stand by this. Art - let's not go into the games - art or not? - debate and use the word art here to mean artistic merit - requires things to have some kind of cohesion. You need to get the feeling that you're seeing the artist's vision come to life.
    Now what I'm trying to say is this: Western games would benefit tremendously from the kind of obsessive auteur culture that is at work in movies by Tarkovsky and Kubrick or games like NieR and Metal Gear Solid or TV shows like Twin Peaks and Neon Genesis Evangelion. All these products, even if made by a large team, carry an unmistakable identity, a signature and leading vision as dictated by the head artist at work.

That's partially why I believe Kotor 2, Torment, MotB were good: their tone is coherent and they follow the vision of their lead writers.

We need more auteurs!

• Brofist x 4
    • Agree x 3
    • Salute x 2
    • Yes! x 2
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)