Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Codex Preview: Underrail Re-Previewed

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
For me a turn based tactical game doesn't make a lot of sense if you only control a single character. To me tactical depth comes from controlling an entire party; otherwise it is like playing chess with only piece. So I will probably skip this one.
No, just no. Think of party members as tools at your disposal. There never was much depth in party based games regarding positioning (mages/archers in the back, tanks in the front ... wow, it's basically chess :lol:) so it all comes down to correctly using these tools at the right time.
Same thing here. Only that these tools are feats, equipment and equipment upgrade choices and combat tactics that utilize all the char building decisions you made over the course of the game.
It all comes together beautifully, it's all intertwined and you can build an amazing powerhouse of a char or completely gimp him depending on if the decisions you make and the approaches you choose fit together and build an harmonious whole.
This game is not less complex than typical party based games, quite the contrary, because most of them don't do char building C&C that consequently so you have more leeway to just click away enemies than you have here.

Saduj

Arcane
This game is awesome and Blaine did a nice job in his preview. I'm glad he dedicated a section to stealth. I don't typically enjoy stealth based games. And I usually avoid making stealthy characters in crpgs. But being stealthy in Underrail is actually fun.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
For me a turn based tactical game doesn't make a lot of sense if you only control a single character. To me tactical depth comes from controlling an entire party; otherwise it is like playing chess with only piece. So I will probably skip this one.
No, just no. Think of party members as tools at your disposal. There never was much depth in party based games regarding positioning (mages/archers in the back, tanks in the front ... wow, it's basically chess :lol:) so it all comes down to correctly using these tools at the right time.
Same thing here. Only that these tools are feats, equipment and equipment upgrade choices and combat tactics that utilize all the char building decisions you made over the course of the game.
It all comes together beautifully, it's all intertwined and you can build an amazing powerhouse of a char or completely gimp him depending on if the decisions you make and the approaches you choose fit together and build an harmonious whole.
This game is not less complex than typical party based games, quite the contrary, because most of them don't do char building C&C that consequently so you have more leeway to just click away enemies than you have here.

lol, what is this I don't even

You like the game, that doesn't mean you have to say dumb things about party-based combat to make it the BEST GAME EVAR

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
Good job Blaine! Very nice preview. I played around with it some time ago and enjoyed it immensely. Just waiting for final release now.

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
As for when it will be released, I don't think anyone knows for sure, including Styg.

83f77e90e0.png

That leaves one or two more urban locations in Lower/Upper Underrail, two locations in the Deep Caverns (makes sense given the storyline, the endgame areas no doubt), and the other miscellany such as a few additional dungeons/mini-dungeons.

When he posted the devblog entry about poison clouds and burning gas, or peripherally to that, Styg mentioned (I can't find it, unfortunately) that as far as game mechanics are concerned, they'll be more-or-less complete after that update is implemented.

Given this, it's relatively safe to say that the meat of the game is probably at least 3/4 finished, give or take some fractional amount, although that probably doesn't account for things like polishing, additional writing/editing, final bug-squashing and so on. Then again, it also doesn't account for the foundational work that went into developing the game in its early stages, so 3/4 might be pretty close to the money.

I personally tend to think it's more like 4/5 finished, and my best guess is that it's unlikely we'll see release by early 2015, fairly likely by mid- to late-2015, and probably also fairly unlikely that it'll push all the way into 2016. Again though, this is incredibly vague guessing on my part.

Drowed

Arcane
Good job Blaine! Very nice preview. I played around with it some time ago and enjoyed it immensely. Just waiting for final release now.

This. I played like 13 hours of the game and liked it so much that I decided I no longer want any spoilers before I can get my hands on the full version. I know that nothing would stop me of replay the game, but .. Nothing beats that "first experience" of completing a game from start to finish. Playing Underrail is basically like playing Fallout for the first time - it's an experience that deserves to be appreciated fully. (That if I can wait that long... I hope so.)

MD84

Barely Literate
I would really encourage the developers of this game to make sure they do a thorough check of spelling errors before its official release. While it seems silly, reviewers will not give an indie game as much leeway in their scoring as they would in a AAA title that they have been sufficiently bribed to give a good score. While this logic seems completely backwards (why hold an independent developer to a higher standard than a developer with far more resources/QC?), it's the way the industry works. Due to the excellent information I have received here on the Codex, I have purchased this game on Steam and look forward to playing it when it is complete. I will even purchase a few copies for friends and co-workers.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Very nice Blaine - I appreciate the write-up! I have played it in 5 hour spurts every few months. I just can't resist it.

Also I would add that I very rarely replay RPGs unless they are pretty special in my view. I wold see replaying Underrail at least a few times before the shine comes off it. If I ever replay an RPG it is generally years later but I see back-to-back-to-back when this releases.

Build variety and resultant gameplay is just so wonderfully different I see myself looking forward to the next play through before the current one is done - not that I don't want to finish the current one!

Cyberarmy

Love fool
Patron
A splendid preview for a splendid game.

:salute:

I just hold myself to play this one till release. Tried a bit with odities patch (I like that kind of XP thing) and uninstalled after to limit myself.

Last edited:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
It is Action Point-based, and your AP are split between "normal" AP (hereafter referred to simply as "AP"), colored green, and movement-only AP (hereafter referred to as "MP"), colored yellow.

I don't believe it. Someone FINALLY thought it might be a good idea to include this.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
Good job Blaine. :salute:

This will be my first D1P in a long time, when it is released.

I am only restraining myself from buying it now, because I would then not resist playing it and feel disappointed because it is incomplete.

Chateaubryan

Cipher
How's the music? On par with what we can hear in the trailer?
Heck, I'll buy the game anyway and wait the final version to play it.

naossano

Cipher
Is the lack of followers something made on purpose or they might appear in the last version ? Considering Fo1 followers were an afterthought, it might be the same here...

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
I will give this game a try later this week. Good preview Blaine.

TwinkieGorilla

does a good job.
Patron
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pathfinder: Wrath
Underrail is easily my favorite game of the incline thus far.

if you don't like it, you're a tasteless waste of oxygen and should be removed from the Codex.

Completely agreed. I'd even go so far as to enforce a ban.

:martini:

Drowed

Arcane
What's really mind-boggling about the game is that for some time it was a one-man effort. (AFAIK it's not the case anymore, but still.)

It's amazing what a "amateur" developer has achieved, design-wise and scope-wise. Mechanically speaking, it is basically the prototype of the ideal Codex game (except for some details), with a variety of skills/builds/weapons/balancing that I don't recall seeing in any other game in the last decade.

If this game isn't the harbinger of the incline, I don't know what can be. (Well, to be fair, we have D:OS too, I guess.)

NotAGolfer

Arcane
Patron

lol, what is this I don't even

You like the game, that doesn't mean you have to say dumb things about party-based combat to make it the BEST GAME EVAR
Did I write that? Learn2read damnit. :rpgcodex:
Compared to average party based games it is very complex, because there is less margin for errors. Your decisions matter and they have to fit the chosen char archetype. You can't fisticuff with a sniper and you should better dress him like a sniper. How the fuck is this wrong?
Diduevenplayit(TM) :M

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom