Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Codex Preview RPG Codex Preview: No Truce With The Furies

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
how do you intend to make No Truce different from "Walking Around Talking to NPCs: The Game"?

They have two audiences in mind: cRPG players and fans of artsy indie games. Kentucky Route Zero has more than 200k owners, which is a lot, but at the same time they are not the same type of audience of PS:T. Let's not forget: PS:T in some aspects is a revisionary game (you can't die, etc.), but on the other hand is a traditional game, with trash mobs, etc.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
That’s my point. They should either implement more traditional mechanics on top of the narrative mechanics they already have (e.g., resource management, combat, items, character progression, etc.), or just present the game as an adventure game. That’s the only way to please both groups and avoid unwanted attention and backlash.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
That’s my point. They should either implement more traditional mechanics on top of the narrative mechanics they already have (e.g., resource management, combat, items, character progression, etc.), or just present the game as an adventure game. That’s the only way to please both groups and avoid unwanted attention and backlash.

Resource management - CHECK
Combat - ???
Items - CHECK
Character progression - CHECK

What did we miss?

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
You missed that I managed to forget these things mentioned in the preview because I'm having fucking alzheimer's. LOL

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Combat-as-conversation won't really cut it for the majority of players. I think this is what the guys are saying, and from what I've seen from games where combat is done through conversation, they will turn out to have been right in this prediction.

Horizon of expectations and all that.

My advice is to try to make it very clear to players that combat happens with dice rolls but "moves" are executed through conversation options - pretty much in CYOA book fashion.

Prime Junta

This is the way Kurvitz explained it to me, more or less.

Most "old-school" cRPGs are figurine games. You see the little guys on a map and move them around when you do combat. Turn based, RTwP, whatever.

No Truce is a game with narrated combat. Like a tabletop RPG without figurines.

Now, imagine you're in the middle of a PnP session.

Suppose you're FashCop and that big mean kipt is giving you lip.

You: "I'm taking a slug from my hip flask."
GM: "'Left any for me?' says Jocko."
You: "I kick that fucking kipt in the face."
GM: "Make an attack roll."
You: "Haha rolled a 10."
GM: <does arithmetic> "Your kick connects, hard. The smirk is wiped off Jocko's face, which loses a couple of teeth as well. He staggers back and collapses into a heap, blood pouring from his nose and mouth. His companions turn tail and run."
You: "Haha cowards!"

The idea is that all those actions will be in the Feld Playback Experiment -- the booze is an action button, enabled if you've got the bottle equipped, and the option to attack the kipt will be there if the situation escalates to the point that violence is on the table.

Sure it's an adventure-gamey approach to combat, but as I said in the preview, if Mass Effect or The Witcher count as RPGs even though combat is all cover shooter or twitch, then I don't see how doing combat adventure-style would be a bigger departure. It's certainly closer to the roots of role-playing; most bunches I've played with don't do figurine combat as a matter of fact.

But yeah, I've no doubt the grogs will howl, but then they always do.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Combat - ???
Items - CHECK

What did we miss?
So there's combat?
are you actually asking or is this like that "haha, I read it as furries" line?

So there's combat?

Prima Junta said:
Everything, including combat, happens through the dialogue interface. Skill checks are everywhere, and your skills are chatty. Much of the dialogue is internal.

So combat is basically debate ... low energy, so sad.

:killit:

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Let’s see how people will react. We have similar things in games such as “King of the Dragon Pass”, but unfortunately most cRPG players don’t care. Since I care, it's day 1 purchase for me.

:d1p:

Last edited:

AwesomeButton

Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
Prime Junta -- Yet here we return to the one big difference between PnP and cRPG which I mentioned earlier - the ability to load game, and failiure as sth leading to alternate options vs failure as a source of frustration. I hope they keep this in mind when designing the failure outcomes.

ArchAngel

Arcane
Combat - ???
Items - CHECK

What did we miss?
So there's combat?

So there's combat?

Prima Junta said:
Everything, including combat, happens through the dialogue interface. Skill checks are everywhere, and your skills are chatty. Much of the dialogue is internal.

More like Final Fantasy games but you don't see your guy and enemy standing on a battlefield or do stupid animations when attacking. What happens is described instead (I also hope they have some cool backgrounds and sounds to accompany the descriptions like those story book parts of POE)

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Prime Junta -- Yet here we return to the one big difference between PnP and cRPG which I mentioned earlier - the ability to load game, and failiure as sth leading to alternate options vs failure as a source of frustration. I hope they keep this in mind when designing the failure outcomes.
I dare you to say "FURRIES" again. I DARE YOU!

AwesomeButton

Patron
I never did say it.

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
I never did say it.
Oh, sorry - I mistakenly referred to the wrong broken record.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Combat - ???
Items - CHECK

What did we miss?
So there's combat?

So there's combat?

Prima Junta said:

More like Final Fantasy games but you don't see your guy and enemy standing on a battlefield or do stupid animations when attacking. What happens is described instead (I also hope they have some cool backgrounds and sounds to accompany the descriptions like those story book parts of POE)

Those are not negative points in an rpg. Only thing that made RPGcodex bestest rpg ever combat tolerable were those little sprites dying in horrible and exciting ways with those stupid animations. Reading that your character tried to shoot his gun but failed miserably due to a bad dye roll is something from a CYOA book.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
This is the way Kurvitz explained it to me, more or less.

Most "old-school" cRPGs are figurine games. You see the little guys on a map and move them around when you do combat. Turn based, RTwP, whatever.

No Truce is a game with narrated combat. Like a tabletop RPG without figurines.

Now, imagine you're in the middle of a PnP session.

Suppose you're FashCop and that big mean kipt is giving you lip.

You: "I'm taking a slug from my hip flask."
GM: "'Left any for me?' says Jocko."
You: "I kick that fucking kipt in the face."
GM: "Make an attack roll."
You: "Haha rolled a 10."
GM: <does arithmetic> "Your kick connects, hard. The smirk is wiped off Jocko's face, which loses a couple of teeth as well. He staggers back and collapses into a heap, blood pouring from his nose and mouth. His companions turn tail and run."
You: "Haha cowards!"

The idea is that all those actions will be in the Feld Playback Experiment -- the booze is an action button, enabled if you've got the bottle equipped, and the option to attack the kipt will be there if the situation escalates to the point that violence is on the table.

Sure it's an adventure-gamey approach to combat, but as I said in the preview, if Mass Effect or The Witcher count as RPGs even though combat is all cover shooter or twitch, then I don't see how doing combat adventure-style would be a bigger departure. It's certainly closer to the roots of role-playing; most bunches I've played with don't do figurine combat as a matter of fact.

But yeah, I've no doubt the grogs will howl, but then they always do.

so in other words 'running around talking to npcs: the game'

Kasparov

OH/NO
Developer
Those are not negative points in an rpg. Only thing that made RPGcodex bestest rpg ever combat tolerable were those little sprites dying in horrible and exciting ways with those stupid animations. Reading that your character tried to shoot his gun but failed miserably due to a bad dye roll is something from a CYOA book.

I think here is a good moment to interject that a lot of what goes on in dialogues - especially critical ones, where you partake in a combat situation - the outcomes are often animated.

AwesomeButton

Patron
I never did say it.
Oh, sorry - I mistakenly referred to the wrong broken record.
If you have already acknowledged this same consideration, then ok.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Kasparov, you should try to emulate these Triple-A games when they implement mini-games with fights, e.g., "God of War". I know you don’t have the resources, but you can implement a few animations and present the options to press some buttons to punch, etc. You will need more animations and a new mechanics, but the combat will feel less passive.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom