Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Codex Preview: Blackguards

Io-Daedalic

Educated
Now I've got a question to ask - actually multiple questions:
Do you have any feedback on chapter 2? Did you play it yet and if so, did you like it? If you didn't get into the Early Access already, what is keeping you from it? What could we probably improve to make a better game for you?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Yeah, on the press build Chapter 2 was one of the highlights, and fights lke the crocodiles and the last wave were really hard to beat, but now I hear people are thinking it's easy, and even on the steam forums there aren't people talking about it much...

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Do you have any feedback on chapter 2? Did you play it yet and if so, did you like it? If you didn't get into the Early Access already, what is keeping you from it? What could we probably improve to make a better game for you?

Niam's death felt a bit off to me, in that one didn't really have the chance to see much of her character and motivation, and the motivation she did have, finding a cure for her sister, goes unresolved. Since the group doesn't find a body though, who knows what surprises might emerge later on in regards to her apparent death.

Her death seems to mess quite a bit with the party dynamic, since she is the only dedicated hunter (unless the player themselves goes hunter) which leaves the player with a fairly narrow skill-set, in my case two mages and two melee fighters. All that said, my ignorance of the next three chapters could make this criticism invalid.

I didn't have much difficulty in completing the 9 combat trials, though I did have to reload once when I discovered the poison from the grate traps lasted for the entire combat. Once I knew that, the trap levels were very easy to win, since enemies could pretty much kill themselves on the traps as they tried to reach my party.

Mechanically, I'm not sure how well a dedicated mage will work out in future chapters, since the fourth tier spell variants, already very costly to unlock in terms of AP, drain mana very quickly. Increasing one's total mana supply is also very costly. Maybe consider having some equipment that increases total mana, if you haven't already? The AP regen staves are already very cool, by the way. Also, in the multi-stage fights, I found drawing out a fight with only one or two opponents remaining on the battlefield allowed me to regenerate enough mana so that both my mages were at full. You might want to find a way to curb this, or offer more ways for spellcasters to be at full in the next fight (Although how you would do this without changing the difficulty I don't know), since it's a dull but effective tactic. (Maybe a turn/time limit for some multi-stage combats, before enemy reinforcements arrive, or before something occurs that the players are trying to prevent. Of a similar vein to the baroness rescue)

Others may not agree with this, but at the end of the game, I would very much enjoy having a range of customisable, meaningless fights to test out the limits of my party, since the combat mechanics of the game are very robust.

Overall I was fairly content with the scope of chapter 2. I understand that chapter 3 is significantly more meatier, and as long as there's a range of interesting sidequests to do, which contain some nice choices and consequences (Potentially impacting on the main plot?) I don't think it's necessary to have a bunch of sidequests in chapter 2, especially considering the party are slaves at the time.

Last edited:

Io-Daedalic

Educated
Thanks for the advice. I'll ask in that topic as well.

Io-Daedalic Some people say the 2nd chapter is a bit on the easy side (http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...cess-now-available.81508/page-17#post-2980869). Have you re-balanced it/toned down the difficulty compared to the press preview build?
Indeed, as the lead designer for Blackguards just confirmed to me, the difficulty of the chapter 2 fights has been tuned down since. Beta testers and the press people gave the feedback that the fights we're really tough and frustrating, so the team decreased difficulty quite a bit. At the moment they are evaluating if the difficulty level is appropriate now of if they overdid adjusting it by some degree.

Niam's death felt a bit off to me, in that one didn't really have the chance to see much of her character and motivation, and the motivation she did have, finding a cure for her sister, goes unresolved. Since the group doesn't find a body though, who knows what surprises might emerge later on in regards to her apparent death.

Her death seems to mess quite a bit with the party dynamic, since she is the only dedicated hunter (unless the player themselves goes hunter) which leaves the player with a fairly narrow skill-set, in my case two mages and two melee fighters. All that said, my ignorance of the next three chapters could make this criticism invalid.

I didn't have much difficulty in completing the 9 combat trials, though I did have to reload once when I discovered the poison from the grate traps lasted for the entire combat. Once I knew that, the trap levels were very easy to win, since enemies could pretty much kill themselves on the traps as they tried to reach my party.

Mechanically, I'm not sure how well a dedicated mage will work out in future chapters, since the fourth tier spell variants, already very costly to unlock in terms of AP, drain mana very quickly. Increasing one's total mana supply is also very costly. Maybe consider having some equipment that increases total mana, if you haven't already? The AP regen staves are already very cool, by the way. Also, in the multi-stage fights, I found drawing out a fight with only one or two opponents remaining on the battlefield allowed me to regenerate enough mana so that both my mages were at full. You might want to find a way to curb this, or offer more ways for spellcasters to be at full in the next fight (Although how you would do this without changing the difficulty I don't know), since it's a dull but effective tactic. (Maybe a turn/time limit for some multi-stage combats, before enemy reinforcements arrive, or before something occurs that the players are trying to prevent. Of a similar vein to the baroness rescue)

Others may not agree with this, but at the end of the game, I would very much enjoy having a range of customisable, meaningless fights to test out the limits of my party, since the combat mechanics of the game are very robust.

Overall I was fairly content with the scope of chapter 2. I understand that chapter 3 is significantly more meatier, and as long as there's a range of interesting sidequests to do, which contain some nice choices and consequences (Potentially impacting on the main plot?) I don't think it's necessary to have a bunch of sidequests in chapter 2, especially considering the party are slaves at the time.
Thanks for that detailed feedback! I can't get much into plot details but it's nevertheless helpful to know what you think about it.
Like said above, difficulty is an issue the team's still tuning and we're trying to get a grasp on what the overall playing communities opinion on that is. If we find out the difficulty is below what we intended it to feel, we will tune it back somewhat again.
A skirmish mode at the end of the game isn't intended at the moment.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Well, Io- that's what the different difficulty modes you've implented are for, aren't they?
Keep the press preview difficulty that casuals whine about for the Hard mode.

Kem0sabe

Arcane
Io-Daedalic A few things:

1. One major gripe i have with the story is that the characters aren't actually that dark, from the PR leading up to this beta i thought i would be playing with a motley crew of sociopaths, then coming into the game it's nowhere near that.

2. Default the post processing effects to off, that bloom is ridiculous.

3. AI, not very smart, especially how they just walk into the scenario traps, in some fights i just wait around and they end up killing themselves.

Smashing Axe

Arcane
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin
Oh yes, with difficulty levels, if you do introduce them, please don't be lazy and use modifiers like "Enemies deal an extra 50% damage" or "Enemies have 100% extra life". That's really boring. Rather, change each individual combat encounter slightly to be more unfavourable to the PCs. Do something like adding an extra enemy, more traps in the environment, or have the enemy erect a barricade. Give an enemy boss a new skill. Just add a few more challenges to each map, if you can.

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Io-Daedalic Some people say the 2nd chapter is a bit on the easy side (http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...cess-now-available.81508/page-17#post-2980869). Have you re-balanced it/toned down the difficulty compared to the press preview build?
Indeed, as the lead designer for Blackguards just confirmed to me, the difficulty of the chapter 2 fights has been tuned down since. Beta testers and the press people gave the feedback that the fights we're really tough and frustrating, so the team decreased difficulty quite a bit. At the moment they are evaluating if the difficulty level is appropriate now of if they overdid adjusting it by some degree.

Could you possibly ask them to keep the press build level of difficulty for Hard (or maybe Very Hard) mode? Some people do appreciate the challenge! (And our own previewers found the difficulty in the press build just right.)

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Indeed, as the lead designer for Blackguards just confirmed to me, the difficulty of the chapter 2 fights has been tuned down since. Beta testers and the press people gave the feedback that the fights we're really tough and frustrating, so the team decreased difficulty quite a bit.
CURSE YOU PRESS PEOPLE!

201-28-Fist-Shaking-Gif.gif

And curse you, retard on the closed beta that kept crying about how Takate fight was impossible even after 20 attempts!

But seriously Io-Daedalic, if you read our review you know that the challenge was just right, that it was the fun of the game. The game is a tactical, combat-focused turn-based RPG... if we can breeze through the battles with ease, where's the fun of the game?

LivingOne

Savant
Just wanted to add my vote to keep the press preview difficulty at least on hard.

clemens

Cipher
Patron
Codex 2014 Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
Please, Daedalic, don't change the balance, your game is fine. Please do not make it easier. Pretty please.

We have no intentions to drop difficulty whatsoever. Actually, I'm quite curious how this discussion will develop when Chapter II is out ;).

Cheers,
Io

Io-Daedalic said:
Indeed, as the lead designer for Blackguards just confirmed to me, the difficulty of the chapter 2 fights has been tuned down since. Beta testers and the press people gave the feedback that the fights we're really tough and frustrating, so the team decreased difficulty quite a bit.

:killit:

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
Better tell them to change it back, Io. What kind of show are you running if you don't give the real fans what they want?

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Daedalic lied, nobody died (because the difficulty is too easy).

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong

But seriously Io-Daedalic, if you read our review you know that the challenge was just right, that it was the fun of the game. The game is a tactical, combat-focused turn-based RPG... if we can breeze through the battles with ease, where's the fun of the game?

+1 -> The fun in tactical combat games are challenging fights. Look at Jagged Alliance 2 - it never gets boring.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
We have no intentions to drop difficulty whatsoever. Actually, I'm quite curious how this discussion will develop when Chapter II is out ;).

Cheers,
Io

Io-Daedalic said:

Yeah, your credibility was just thrown the fuck out of the window homes. Pretty shoddily handled. Ain't even that much time between the two quotes. What are you, a politician?

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity

Cheers,
Io

Io-Daedalic said:

Yeah, your credibility was just thrown the fuck out of the window homes. Pretty shoddily handled. Ain't even that much time between the two quotes. What are you, a politician?

I think it's just the case of the left hand not knowing what the right does.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Community managers being left in the dark by the development team is a common sight these days sadly.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Well, the right hand shouldn't start to wank if it hasn't asked the left hand whether it's about to open the door to the family dinner at the same time.

Point is that it isn't really relevant whether it was deliberate sugar-coating or an unfortunate misunderstanding; the end result is a loss of credibility. Because a) who's to say it won't happen again and b) maybe the community manager shouldn't be so cock-sure if he doesn't actually have the team's word for it.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
And curse you, retard on the closed beta that kept crying about how Takate fight was impossible even after 20 attempts!

I know, right.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom