Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Invades Steam

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
They have talked about removing Greenlight entirely i believe. Thats one of the reasons this functionality has been introduced.

I don't think it serves the same function. Curators recommend games already on Steam (basically, they are your trusted reviewers), Greenlight is Valve asking you to vote on what should be released on Steam.

I believe the idea is that Valve will allow EVERYBODY onto Steam and let the Curators sort through the mess.

Greenlight is part hype machine ("YOU get to vote, YOU make a difference! The game YOU voted for is now available thanks to YOU, buy it buy it buy it!"), I don't see a reason to get rid of it. Especially since you can let the curators just point people to certain games and double the hype ('GUYS GUYS VOTE FOR THIS GAME").

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Greenlight is part hype machine ("YOU get to vote, YOU make a difference! The game YOU voted for is now available thanks to YUO, buy it buy it buy it"), I don't see a reason to get rid of it. Especially since you can let the curators just point people to certain games and double the hype ('GUYS GUYS VOTE FOR THIS GAME").

Well, to me it looks like it might already be on its way out. Take a look here: http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/news/?appid=765

Before August 1, they were Greenlighting tons of games in huge batches, two times a month. Now suddenly that's stopped. What's going on?

It does seem that games are still being greenlit "behind the scenes", but the first step towards shutting something down is making it invisible.

Last edited:

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I could see the point behind removing Greenlight in the way Infinitron mentioned.
Less work for Valve, community driven game success is kept.

It might also mean less work for developers as they would "only" have to reach out to the more important curators.

Self-Ejected

Davaris

Self-Ejected
Developer
I could see the point behind removing Greenlight in the way Infinitron mentioned.
Less work for Valve, community driven game success is kept.

It might also mean less work for developers as they would "only" have to reach out to the more important curators.

Give curators too much power and you'd have indie developers sleeping with curators to get their games on Steam. :)

SuicideBunny

(ノ ゜Д゜)ノ ︵ ┻━┻
Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Torment: Tides of Numenera
spam with what? you don't get notifications when a curator you follow adds something (at least i don't).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
spam with what? you don't get notifications when a curator you follow adds something (at least i don't).

Notifcations no, but it appears in your "Activity" feed. Look under SuicideBunny --> Activity.

That's like your Facebook feed in Steam.

Last edited:

Jaesun

Fabulous Ex-Moderator
Patron
MCA
Crooked Bee Remember that the intended form of use for Steam Curation is not people browsing your list directly - it's getting recommendations on their front page, which ARE randomized to some extent, I believe.

True, but a lot of people also browse/follow links to the list directly, in which case the first page makes the most important impression. Randomization or ability to re-order could help in these cases, at least.

Yeah I kind of wish it had the feature soundcloud has on your profile page, where you can choose 5 entries and they will be featured at the very top.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
We are now nearing on 300 members and 1100 followers.

Last edited:

bonescraper

Dunno what Joystiq is but Gamespot is mostly console-oriented, since they don't have a monopoly on digital game sales... yet.

Still, looks like it attacts people from outside of the Codex, so that's pretty cool. Keep fighting the good fight.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Infinitron As a curator, can you see who is following you? What do the thumbs up next to game titles represent? The degree to which a game is recommended by the curator? Or followers agreeing with your recommendation?

I can't see who is following us. I can see members of the RPG Codex group.

The thumbs up are people "liking" the Curation in their Activity feed. There are also comments. As I said, it's much like Facebook.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom