Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Invades Steam

Jasede

Arcane
Patron
Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Codex Year of the Donut I'm very into cock and ball torture
Stop trying to see some kind of agenda, man.

If your problem is that some games aren't on this list, name those games, write a little review for them, and I'm sure that people will consider adding them to the list.

Or hell, go ahead, remove Dark Souls; that's what this is about, isn't it? By all means. It's better on the console anyway. Can't beat those 5 FPS.

That still doesnt include names but anyway. So a 591 members group, a 4765 followers list, and a site with a couple thousand daily clicks recommend a game that 35 people voted for. Great

Edit. a game that only 35 out of 234 voted for. A 14.96%. This keeps getting better and better.

...so should we put in the unknown games that weren't recommended by the people who didn't make their opinion known, or...?

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan
Edit. a game that only 35 out of 234 voted for. A 14.96%. This keeps getting better and better.
Woah, sorry, I got news for you, we aren't a homogeneous blob. It's a pretty damn representative list and most people liked it, even if a game they didn't like or ten were on it. Your post makes it pretty clear that you haven't really looked into how the voting system worked in the first place. I'm not crying you a river about the games I consider shit being on the list; why can't you be cool, too?

Are you trolling ?

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan
That still doesnt include names but anyway. So a 591 members group, a 4765 followers list, and a site with a couple thousand daily clicks recommend a game that 35 people voted for. Great

...so should we put in the unknown games that weren't recommended by the people who didn't make their opinion known, or...?

or .... do a proper vote ?

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan
Infinitron Dark Souls 2 isnt even in that useless top 70 list. Why is that recommended ?

Wait. First you argue that using the list as basis (which Infinitron doesn't do) is useless, and then you argue against another game because it isn't on the list... wtf

well you tell me, are we using the list or not. Because if we arent then Dark Souls is there just because Infi and 34 other people called it a good dungeon crawler, and good dungeon crawlers turned in their graves. If we are, remove Dark Souls 2 for starters.
Pretty complex thinking aint it ?

Cowboy Moment

Arcane

or .... do a proper vote ?

I'm assuming that the propriety of a vote will be judged by how well it aligns with your personal taste, yes? Vote was open, list is a valid representation of the tastes of people who voted. If you hadn't voted, and regret it now, well, sucks to be a dumbass, doesn't it? Learn from your experiences and vote next time.

Drakron

Arcane
I'm assuming that the propriety of a vote ...

Votes are dumb for a simple reason, any fucktard can vote ... its very merican to even think it means something.

As we dont list top 100 movies by gross revenue, we also dont let people vote on them ... Birth of a Nation is a movie that would be shitvoted despite the fact it was groundbreaking and important on the history of cinema, this would be ignored to be "political correct".

This is why lists are reached by a consensus, not popular vote because, again, any fucktard can vote.

The importance of RPGs should be when they were released and the impact they had, like it or not Alpha Protocol had no impact and there is no consensus over being a unpolished gem as Dragon Age: Origins was considered to be a throwback to old style RPGs (just to be Mass Effected in the sequel) and had some impact, if not that we have Baldur's Gate that lead to the created of many CRPGs because of its popularity.

Sure the Codex is not the Library of Congress and apparently its like GameFAQs ... we have "top 100" based on voting, no actual reviewing of games so we might as well make it easy for Metacritic and Steam and just assign a out of 10 scoring system since that is the road apparent some want to travel.

All this because of the fucking curator system, its like things we apparent stood against back when Oblivion come out are now true ... fucking disgraceful.

agentorange

Arcane
Patron
rpghq (cant read codex pms cuz of fag 2fa)
Codex 2012
No. Impact is generally an utterly retarded way to judge the quality of something since it depends on the reception and acceptance of it by the general masses, and time of release is a murky tool for judgement especially with video games. Oblivion and Mass Effect individually had more "impact" than every game made by Troika combined; and merely being a throwback to a certain era or genre type should not in any way automatically count in favor of a game. The only effective means of assessment is a critical analysis of a game as it stands on its own and possibly how it effectively iterates on innovations of the past (For example in Alpha Protocol, the game takes the C&C driven dialogue system introduced by other games, uses it effectively on its own, and effectively adds the innovation of urgency to it. On the other hand, what innovative or effectively iterative mechanic did DAO introduce, and did it handle any of the things it was "throwing back to" in a way that was superior to, or even as good as, the games it was meant to call back to?).

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
In a shocking twist, we've learned that the Codex is, indeed, not very much like the Library of Congress.

Honestly, Drakron. just make a thread in Site Feedback with a specific proposal on how games should be chosen for the list. I'd love to hear what assembling a list "by consensus" would be like on the Codex, in practice.

tuluse

Arcane
Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Shadorwun: Hong Kong
No. Impact is generally an utterly retarded way to judge the quality of something since it depends on the reception and acceptance of it by the general masses, and time of release is a murky tool for judgement especially with video games. Oblivion and Mass Effect individually had more "impact" than every game made by Troika combined; and merely being a throwback to a certain era or genre type should not in any way automatically count in favor of a game. The only effective means of assessment is a critical analysis of a game as it stands on its own and possibly how it effectively iterates on innovations of the past (For example in Alpha Protocol, the game takes the C&C driven dialogue system introduced by other games, uses it effectively on its own, and effectively adds the innovation of urgency to it. On the other hand, what innovative or effectively iterative mechanic did DAO introduce, and did it handle any of the things it was "throwing back to" in a way that was superior to, or even as good as, the games it was meant to call back to?).
Actually, Dragon Age: Origins probably has the best C&C of any Bioware game.

EG

Nullified
Only put about eight hours into Dragon Age and save-scummed to see if different dialog options had a different outcome, but I don't remember an instance of such. The only thing that had any impact was the initial character creation screen.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Look guys, look. I followed the codex curator because I wanna support it and I can expect that it recommends decent enough RPGs and RPG-likes, that are fit for a codexian taste. Yes even Dark Souls games because they good, even if the RPG mechanics are more minimal. As many have said, games that fit the Kritikal Konsensus should be the main criteria, not some silly argument about mechanics and shit. The list is pretty decent so far, which is good because every other list seems to be filled with shit and "here's some gaems that I like, LOL!" types of crap.

The list, imo, should be relatively tight, because at least I don't want to see my activity stream constantly filled with shit I don't want to play. There are always games that someone won't want to buy, but at least hopefully people can see the reason why they were included and agree that these games were a good choice. There's a ton of lists out there that include everything under the sun because popamolers like it or it got a 11/10 on IGN. We have enough of those already. So keep it tight.

And I still don't like Eschalon 1 or Banner Saga.

Last edited:

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan
I'm assuming that the propriety of a vote will be judged by how well it aligns with your personal taste, yes? Vote was open, list is a valid representation of the tastes of people who voted. If you hadn't voted, and regret it now, well, sucks to be a dumbass, doesn't it? Learn from your experiences and vote next time.

That would only apply here if the list was formulated according to the annual vote. Apparently it isn't. Try harder.

Votes are dumb for a simple reason, any fucktard can vote ... its very merican to even think it means something.

As we dont list top 100 movies by gross revenue, we also dont let people vote on them ... Birth of a Nation is a movie that would be shitvoted despite the fact it was groundbreaking and important on the history of cinema, this would be ignored to be "political correct".

This is why lists are reached by a consensus, not popular vote because, again, any fucktard can vote.

"Top X lists" filled with stuff most people don't care about are double retarded.

Basically you want this "Codex Approved List" to be made by a handful of guys who think their choices are more :monocle: than everyone else's, which is what Tekno was complaining about...we can either do a "proper vote" and let any game in, or we let 20-30 guys decide what the Codex *really* likes in order to keep our prestigious image. You can't have both.

Lord Azlan

Arcane
Patron
Shitposter
The list is pretty good - most taken from the top 70 all time list. Some new games such as Lords of Xulima and Underrail added to promote new enterprises and development of good old time RPG.

Shame games like Planescape Torment and Betrayal at Krondor are not any where to be seen - a post of the top 70 would certainly give any visitors a greater flavour of what the Codex is about.

1 Planescape: Torment (1999)
2 Fallout 1 (1997)
3 Fallout 2 (1998)
4 Baldur's Gate 2: Shadows of Amn (2000)
5 Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (2001)
6 Vampire: The Mascarade - Bloodlines (2004)
7 The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (2002)
8 Fallout: New Vegas
9 Gothic 2 (2002)
10 Wizardry 8 (2001)
11 Deus Ex (2000)
12 Neverwinter Nights 2 - Mask of the Betrayer
13 Jagged Alliance 2
14 Dark Souls
15 Wizardry VII: Crusaders of the Dark Savant (1992)
16 Betrayal at Krondor (1993)
17 Baldur's Gate (1998)
18 Darklands
19 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords
20 Ultima Underworld I: The Stygian Abyss (1992)
21 The Temple of Elemental Evil
22 Icewind Dale
22 System Shock 2
24 The Witcher
25 Might and Magic VI: Mandate of Heaven
26 Gothic
27 Knights of the Chalice
28 Might and Magic: World of Xeen
29 Alpha Protocol
30 Realms of Arkania II: Star Trail
31 Dark Sun: Shattered Lands (1993)
32 Wizardry VI: Bane of the Cosmic Forge (1990)
33 Dragon Age: Origins
33 Ultima VII: The Black Gate
35 The Elder Scrolls II: Daggerfall (1996)
36 Pool of Radiance (1988)
37 Might and Magic VII: For Blood and Honor
37 Ultima IV: Quest of the Avatar (1985)
39 Ultima VII Part Two: Serpent Isle
40 Icewind Dale II
40 The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings
42 Wasteland (1988)
43 Quest For Glory IV: Shadows of Darkness
43 Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny
45 Might and Magic III: Isles of Terra (1991)
45 Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic
47 Anachronox
47 Arx Fatalis
47 Geneforge
47 Pools of Darkness
51 Albion
52 Drakensang: River of Time
52 Risen
54 King of Dragon Pass (1999)
54 Ultima Underworld II: Labyrinth of Worlds
56 Deus Ex: Human Revolution
56 Divine Divinity
56 Mount & Blade: Warband
59 Dungeon Master(1987)
59 Mass Effect
61 ADOM - Ancient Domains of Mystery
61 Neverwinter Nights 2
61 System Shock
64 Wizardry I: Proving Grounds of the Mad Overlord (1981)
64 Wizardry IV: The Return of Werdna
66 Champions of Krynn
66 Lands of Lore: The Throne of Chaos (1993)
68 Star Control II: The Ur-Quan Masters (1992)
69 Dark Heart of Uukrul
69 Heroine's Quest: The Herald of Ragnarok
71 Divinity 2: The Dragon Knight Saga
71 Wizards & Warriors

It's an important list to me but it isn't a bible. I already know anything by Bioware are not for me - not that they aren't good games - just that they don't get me excited like LoX is currently doing. I love, absolutely love, System Shock 2 and have original CDs, GOG version and Steam version around - but even I struggle to call it an old time traditional RPG.

Also looking accusingly at Codexians that voted Alpha Protocol and Dark Souls - very far removed from BT1, Ultima IV, Wizardry and M&M Clouds of Xeen - oh what fun.

But Codexians know what they want and know their stuff so I am assuming those two games will be pretty good. Risen was and that ain't no old school RPG.

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
IMO, the list should be focussed on quality games rather than listing the most RPGy RPGs. The purpose of steam curating is not to make an ideological statement but to help people find games to buy and play. So a good action-rpg like Dark Souls belongs on the list, and a boring fully-fledged RPG like Dragon Age: Origins does not.

TeknoBM

Dark Souls Fan
IMO, the list should be focussed on quality games rather than listing the most RPGy RPGs. The purpose of steam curating is not to make an ideological statement but to help people find games to buy and play. So a good action-rpg like Dark Souls belongs on the list, and a boring fully-fledged RPG like Dragon Age: Origins does not.

If RPG Codex doesn't focus on rpg's why have a list at all? You will end up with a bunch of lists that contain exactly the same games with minor differences. What's the point ?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom