Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex Invades Steam

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Trash should write a review. Especially because I agreed with him :M

garren

Arcane
Patron
That's the thing, it was just average. Quickly forgotten, nothing special, didn't excel in anything. It's the only game I disagree being on the list that I have played (well ok, and Eschalon 1).

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Yeah, I remember Eschalon not being good at all.

To paraphrase something I said in the staff forums:

I'm in favor of us giving the limelight to nerdy/obscure turn-based indies even if they aren't all that, as long as they're not outright shovelware.

Looking at our review, it doesn't seem that Eschalon was received as shovelware: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=170

Of course, 2008 was a very different time. (which, however, can also be a factor - ie, respecting the few oldschool RPGs to be released in a time of decline)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Is it ok to recommend every run-of-the-mill RPG that comes along? Cmon, let's keep the list at least somewhat inclined.

No, just the turn-based indies of the Decline Era. The Geneforges, the Avernums, the Eschalons.

You'll notice that humdrum RTwP stuff like, say, Drakensang isn't on the list (even though more than one person has told me that The River of Time was pretty decent). Neither is The Witcher series, not to mention Dragon Age.

garren

Arcane
Patron
Dragon Age was complained about, so it was removed. I haven't noticed anyone saying Witchers should be added, haven't played Drakensang so can't say about that one. There's now been a few comments saying Banner Saga wasn't that good (here and Steam comments), I don't really see a problem removing it.

Geneforges are well liked here, and I think Avernums (which I like) too have much more going on to them than say, Eschalon. Even the review you linked seemed to indicate it was pretty average.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
There's now been a few comments saying Banner Saga wasn't that good (here and Steam comments), I don't really see a problem removing it.

On the other hand, it also got a rather large amount of "likes" on Steam: http://store.steampowered.com/curator/6866630-RPG-Codex-(Official)/

Like I said, I do admit that the fact that it was never reviewed properly has been a problem with establishing Codex Consensus on Banner Saga and I hope we can rectify that. One must also take into account that the game is actually incomplete and will probably be expanded in the future.

Dark Souls II gets mentioned, but Dragon Age: Origins is left out? WTF man? Seriously, WTF?

Take it up with the knee-jerk Bioware haters. I've decided to acquiesce to that tendency because it's part of what makes the Codex.

Grunker

RPG Codex Ghost
Patron
Dark Souls II gets mentioned, but Dragon Age: Origins is left out? WTF man? Seriously, WTF?

I hear ya bro. Apparantly DA:O is the butthurt-catalyst 'round here. I honestly don't fault Infinitron for holding it back when half of the Codex hates it so much. I fault that half, though.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
As much as I do not like Dragon Age: Origins personally, I think it should be on the list, if only because it was #33 on our Top 70.

Eschalon. Really? I actually played that (not often I can say that about new-ish RPGs) and remember it being very mediocre and getting bored after a few hours (even Fallout 3 and Skyrim held my attention longer). Why exactly was it added to recommendations in the first place?

No opinion on Banner Saga, as I have not played it yet, despite being a backer. But it sure looks nice. ;)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
^As you can see, managing this list isn't a task for the faint of heart. :)

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Codex 2012 Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Serpent in the Staglands Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Divinity: Original Sin 2 Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I helped put crap in Monomyth
^As you can see, managing this list isn't a task for the faint of heart. :)
Agreed. :D
I may have been too harsh on Eschalon in my post, since we are also recommending everything Spiderweb ever released (except their most recent games, I think?), which is more or less on par.

V_K

Arcane
Nobody would complain about Eschalon if it were a blobber. People just see iso perspective and get the wrong idea about the game.

Zeriel

Arcane
Is it ok to recommend every run-of-the-mill RPG that comes along? Cmon, let's keep the list at least somewhat inclined.

No, just the turn-based indies of the Decline Era. The Geneforges, the Avernums, the Eschalons.

You'll notice that humdrum RTwP stuff like, say, Drakensang isn't on the list (even though more than one person has told me that The River of Time was pretty decent). Neither is The Witcher series, not to mention Dragon Age.

I think Witcher has more of a right to be on there than Eschalon. It does some interesting things with choice & consequence that are pretty unique to it and is a major Codex talking point. Eschalon is just an inoffensive budget game that no one really cares about. Not saying it's garbage, but... weird choices, to say the least.

MicoSelva

backlog digger
Patron
Wait, The Witcher is not on the list?
Not saying it is some kind of masterpiece, but definitely better than Eschalon (I would also rate it above DA:O personally).

EDIT: I think even Codex review of The Witcher is more favorable than the one of Eschalon, so...

Gozma

Arcane
If the Codex cannot be dissuaded from trying to become a popular thing for regular humans (until the day of reckoning where someone puts a bunch of old posts on twitter and DU gets drones firing hellfire missiles at his house) I'd rather the Steam curation be really inclusive, up to and including shit like Dragon Age and Dark Souls (2), as long as we are also putting stuff like Vogel and M&MX on there. The rationale is that people that hate those games are going to put some shit I hate on there that they don't anyway so fuck you too.

HiddenX

The Elder Spy
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Shadorwun: Hong Kong
The Witcher is a good game and should be on the list.

Eschalon should be on the list, too, because it is an indie game with some cool oldschool mechanics.
Indie games should get a bonus, because often these are one-man efforts.

Baron Dupek

Arcane
What if that one man is mad man? Like Pierre and Eschalon cretor (based on time after BookIII release)?
Nah, I support only good ones...

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom