Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Josh Sawyer at GDC Europe 2016

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Elwrogender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    Click here and disable ads!
    What happened with this Bubbles guy? Did he pull an Exitium or what? Seems like a worthwile content-provider.

• Old x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Lexxx20gender: ⚧ Learned

Lexxx20
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    That letter is the Skaen lorebook. There's one for every god - one might assume that they're mass-produced by believers.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. Doctor Sbaitsogender: ⚧ SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS. Patron

Doctor Sbaitso
    Parrots:
    Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Serpent in the Staglands
    The message I boil it down to is that there won't be much change to the formula. Saying things like 'it's hard', but meaning 'no'.

I also get the impression that they need engine or tool help. They seem to be hobbled by shit that should be solvable.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Shadenuatgender: ⚧ Arcane

Shadenuat
    Parrots:
    My guess only a few classes would have engagement mechanics/option to land an AOO in PoE2 if it happens, like fighters.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. I'm With Her oneselfgender: ⚧ for prison Prophet Shitposter

oneself
    Parrots:
    A minority-white, multicultural hellscape
    He talk good but I wish he do good too.

^ Top  
  7. TT1gender: ⚧ Learned Patron

TT1
    Parrots:
    A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Oh... well...

• Best Deal! Best Deal! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. I'm With Her Hobo Elfgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Parrots:
    Feargus is weak and needs to be removed if Obsidian wants to actually become good.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. LizardWizardgender: ⚧ Savant

LizardWizard
    Parrots:
    To be fair, he is letting Sawyer do his niche historical game.

:slamdunk:

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. I'm With Her Hobo Elfgender: ⚧ for prison Arcane

Hobo Elf
    Parrots:
    I thought Sawyer said that Feargus was warming up to the idea and that people need to tell him more that they want that kind of game. It's not a set in stone project yet. It may never even happen.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    we should do feargus interview to make codex warm up to him and then shit on the next dude in obsidian

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Azrael the catgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Azrael the cat
    Parrots:
    One question. When Josh Sawyer is being interviewed by his own Codex troll account, come on there's internet stalking ability and then there's Roguey, nobody is that good at internet stalking, especially a quiet target like a game developer Roguey, does he do the Gollum/Smeagle voice-change? Do they know they're the same person? Does non-drinker Sawyer have a unbeknownst-to-him alcohol+ambien problem, where he just blacks out every night, with no memory of drinking or taking anything, only to find there's a new set of Roguey posts putting out info that only he could know about?

Why else would Roguey not use this opportunity to dismiss all the Codex troll talk of Roguey being a guy, buy just playing the footage, and getting her voice in there interviewing him? I'm not buying that it's because Roguey's a guy-who-isn't-Josh-Sawyer - if Roguey was playing that game, I'm pretty sure Roguey would just get a female friend to do the interview and fake the Codex out. Now, just think about this. Bubbles interviewed Sawyer, and Sawyer could easily have given Bubbles the slides to transcribe if he was making them publicly available. Or he'd just post them on the Obsidian forums himself. No, this is another case where Roguey is posting material in Josh Sawyer's exclusive knowledge/possession, while 'Josh Sawyer' believes he is sleeping, Tyler Durton style.

Hell, has anyone checked which one of them surfaced on the internet first? If Roguey appeared first, then could it be that Roguey is taking ambien in the morning to stave off the DTs after drinking and posting on the Codex all night, and hence forgets that she/he rocks up to Obsidian each day as a developer with strangely similar design philosophies? The ambien would explain why Sawyer fails to live up to Roguey's stated "Sawyer's design principles".

(thanks for posting the transcript. I utterly detest the shift to video interviews - you can always read in 5-10 minutes the same interview that takes an hour to listen to live, and the Codex policy of providing transcripts for these things is a godsend)

• Funny x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Interesting x 1
    • Creative x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    I suddenly got a whole bunch of visitors to my almost-completely-unrelated-blog from a completely-unrelated-thread in badgame (Josh's orb posting lair), which reminded me to check it for the first time in ages to see responses to the interview. Let the snitching begin.

:lol:

:/

:rpgcodex:

False. I checked myself back in October. As mentioned in the interview, apparently no one ever had time to delete them.

Haha, yeah, "some players." :mob:

Face: saved (I still stand by what I said).

Additionally, as noted by Infinitron at the Obsidian forums, the RPG Watch response to this interview was far more negative than the response here which is just crazy https://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35267

Like seriously, what, how? The Watch is more grognardish than the Codex?

• Interesting x 2
    • Informative x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. TheSentinelgender: ⚧ Liturgist

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    Are you fucking kidding me?
    Not this shit again.

Companions are still gonna be your slaves, I see.
    Dropped.

^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again Rogueygender: ⚧ Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    He gives examples of how that would be appropriate, and is against using it in places where it wouldn't make sense.

Clearly the Lord of Balance would carefully consider how high those checks would need to be so that not anyone can pass every check on the strength of just any companion combination alone, unlike Tyranny.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Quillongender: ⚧ Savant

Quillon
    Parrots:
    http://www.redbull.com/en/games/stories/1331721253309/pillars-of-eternity-what-next-for-obsidian

Yep, Obs needs a brave new leader who shouldn't be afraid of making RPGs outside traditional norms.

• Interesting Interesting x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Fairfaxgender: ⚧ Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    Easy for him to act like players had unrealistic expectations, but the team itself set the tone by promising to combine the IE games:

Yeah, I remember that interview. Shows how clueless he was about the IP and how they wasted a huge opportunity for stupid reasons. He says that magic plays a "very little role", but that's only in the time depicted in the books/show (though I'd argue it's not that small). The licensed games had complete freedom to choose different eras, which is what the strategy game ended up doing. They could've picked a different setting without the constraints placed by the books. ASOIAF has the Others and wights, which have more potential than regular zombies, and also dragons, direwolves, firewyrms, ice spiders, several forms of magic, witches, druids, skinchanging, and a lot more traditional RPG stuff. He is right that it has more potential for a strategy game, but that doesn't mean there isn't a great RPG to be made there.

Not to mention they got the offer years before the show, which means they could've got a much better deal than after it became so popular. Feargus probably didn't bring it up with a lot of people, otherwise someone there would've pointed out the potential. Worth reminding that this was around the time Obsidian folks took Snow White (!) and turned it into an interesting concept.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    ^ Top  
  18. Make America Great Again ERYFKRADgender: ⚧ Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Right, the company what made Kotor 2, alpha potatocol, south park etc., is unwilling to consider a not-very-traditional rpg.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Tigranesgender: ⚧ Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Usually with Obsidian, what happens isn't that they turn down cool IP opportunities, they (1) beg for it but don't get it, (2) persuade a publisher who then bones them over, (3) beg, persuade, get half-boned, get it out the door, and it's a buggy mess

I wonder what the decision making process is for things like these though, Feargus is obviously the guy for it but they're also supposed to have a Five Founders (uh, Four) structure.

^ Top  
  20. Prime Juntagender: ⚧ Arcane

Prime Junta
    Parrots:
    Whatever happens, I hope they keep pushing for their own IPs. At least there they get to set the constraints. Do that a few times and they will get good at it. Tyranny was a fairly minor faceplant in the grand scheme of things and probably didn't lose them money, and it is to be hoped that the people working on it learned something.

I would really love it if they pushed boundaries a bit. Tyranny tried at least. If Pillars ends up as their bread-and-butter and they do some smaller, experimental projects on the side, that'd be pretty cool already. (Josh's historical-mythical TB Darklands spiritual successor for one.)

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Quillongender: ⚧ Savant

Quillon
    Parrots:
    Clearly he can't think of medieval RPGs without supernaturals at every corner(And I'm writing this here where most everyone grew up with such RPGs). Expeditions series disagrees and I'm hoping KC:Deliverance will be successful enough to widen guys like Feargus' horizons. Where publishers[we hate] should stop previously undone pitches, he does it himself where as a developer he should be one who is ambitious.

^ Top  
  22. Fairfaxgender: ⚧ Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    Feargus has a big mouth, but he rarely talks about the stuff they've turned down. Surely because it's embarrassing to tell everyone you're the guy who passed on a huge opportunity.

There's also (4) pitch something they couldn't possibly get, like the Star Wars games they pitched to Disney after EA had already signed the exclusivity deal with them.

Feargus said in one of the Matt Chats that he's always involved in pitches, and MCA said he was involved in a few, but not much is known about the other partners.

Paradox owns Tyranny, not Obsidian. They created the IP and sold it. Might as well license an existing one.

• [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Neanderthalgender: ⚧ Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    Gotta say Sawyer at least knows his shit, good straightforward interview, still don't like a lotta design on Poe but at least hes acknowledgin some o faults.

Forgot about Obs rejectin GoT but Fearghus is just facin reality there, most players want usual shit an plenty on it, wi a good dose o more streamlinin an stripped features to top it off.

^ Top  
  24. HoboForEternitygender: ⚧ Magister

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    who knows it might just took off and made obsidian took off GoT is a big IP with a huge followers. The ip is just perfect for obsidian with their focus on writing and c&c

^ Top  
  25. Make America Great Again Infinitrongender: ⚧ I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Reminder - we got an early look at the possible user interface for this:

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)