Tacticular Cancer: We'll have your balls

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Codex Interview RPG Codex Interview: Josh Sawyer at GDC Europe 2016

Discussion in 'RPG Codex News & Content Comments' started by Infinitron, Dec 28, 2016.

1. Nazrim Eldrak Educated

Nazrim Eldrak
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Good interview. I nearly read everything!

I have a strong opinion that giving the player wide control over the companions is a failure, because it could (will) destroy the authenticity of the party members personality.

A long answer for a no. It bored me!

:nocountryforshitposters:

Well, as long as the engine evolves there is a chance that the game becomes more attractive...

^ Top  
  2. Crescent Hawk Savant

Crescent Hawk
    Parrots:
    Josh is a pretty cool guy, I may not agree with him on everything, but I truly respect his love for historical, or maybe he means "believability" in medieval or classical antiquity settings, and you can tell he is not a dumbfuck.

Damn I hope he pulls it off.

Also, again, but its really sad we didnt get the Aliens rpg.

^ Top  
  3. santino27 Savant

santino27
    Parrots:
    Really good read. I'm not particularly interested in his historical RPG, and I don't necessarily agree with some of his decisions (or think they at least need to have someone on the presentation/narrative side of things to balance out his systems-focused approach) he made with PoE but this was a very interesting and enjoyable interview.

Thanks to Roguey and the departed Bubbles.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2016
    ^ Top  
  4. ghostdog Prestigious Gentleman Arcane Patron

ghostdog
    Parrots:
    Fucking epic.

:excellent:

• Brofist Brofist x 4
    ^ Top  
  5. Grunker RPG Codex Ghost Patron

Grunker
    Parrots:
    Codex 2012 Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera
    Actually, descriptive text was one of the weakest parts of Torment as well *braces for impact*

^ Top  
  6. Visbhume Prophet

Visbhume
    Parrots:
    One advantage of History as an inspiration for videogames is that reality tends to be richer and more uncanny than fantasy.

Last week I finished reading Patricia Crone's "The Nativist Prophets of Early Islamic Iran" and some of the cosmologies described in the book are Planescape-level weird (in fact, they reminded me of Pillars, because a lot of the "nativist prophets" believed in reincarnation).

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Make America Great Again Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    I can confirm I heard it as "Tyranny" the first time and laughed out loud at the "Like what?" response followed by the pause the second time around, which is why I left that back-and-forth 100% intact.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  8. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    Great interview, and kudos to Sawyer for doing such a long interview.

Sawyer admitting they neglected the Skaen Temple encounters says a lot about PoE's development. As Project Lead, Lead Designer, Lead Systems Designer and with a companion to write, he ended up deeply involved with so many things that he couldn't oversee the project properly. With only 2 of these duties, he probably would've noticed the encounter and level design problems earlier, along with other flaws.

It's interesting that he said he was still trying to convince Feargus to let him to the historical RPG, but in the last dev commentary stream he suggested Feargus was ok with it.

Quite quotable. :cool:

Ideally speaking, I think something this long done face-to-face would've been better as a video, but I guess Bubbles didn't want that.

You should do the next Sawyer interview. Would be interesting to see a parallel to my MCA interview. :M

^ Top  
  9. Make America Great Again Infinitron Trade Master Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    I assume you remember this interview was in August

^ Top  
  10. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    I know. I was just pointing out that he managed to convince Feargus since then.

^ Top  
  11. Make America Great Again Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    I still prefer at least having the option to read it as text, so you're not constrained by the speed at which they talk. This is something that can be skimmed within an hour or read in about an hour, but an audio/video is two and half hours of your time.

I have no specific questions to ask, and I don't wish to interact with anyone directly.

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  12. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    Interesting to see that people don't seem to mind the fact this interview is long (17.4k words). No reason to worry about that anymore. :M

Agreed, it's why I'm doing it via email with MCA, but transcription is a shitload of work, as you know too well.

There's nothing you'd want to ask him? I doubt that. Still, if you don't want to interact with him...¯\_(ツ)_/¯

^ Top  
  13. M0RBUS Augur

M0RBUS
    Parrots:
    Hard West was deterministic. And it was awesome.

Good to hear they at least have SOME interest in doing turn-based in the future. Honestly, it would fix all the issues they have with combat in their games. Although, to be fair, Tyranny is a step in the right direction, I feel.

^ Top  
  14. CryptRat Arcane

CryptRat
    Parrots:
    :hero:

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Make America Great Again ERYFKRAD Arcane Patron

ERYFKRAD
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Shadorwun: Hong Kong Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Good stuff men.

^ Top  
  16. AW8 Arcane

AW8
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Really interesting read. Props to Bubbles and Roguey. :salute:

I always love to read Sawyer's honest, insightful thoughts on previous and upcoming projects.

Based Sawyer.

^ Top  
  17. zerosum Literate

zerosum
    Parrots:
    I laughed at his comment of the D&D trope of wandering homeless murderhobos.

^ Top  
  18. C0ckerel Barely Literate

C0ckerel
    Parrots:
    Funnily enough I thought the Skaen Temple and especially its integration in terms of level design and questlines with Dyrford was one of the strongest parts of the game. I suppose because to me it was a 'dungeon' that felt plausible: multiple entrances/exits, ways of discovering that are independent from another another etc...

It's been a while now but the only defect I remember was coming across three copies of the personal letter from a father to his son or something. It was like the level designer really wanted players to experience that fluff.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. aratuk Learned

aratuk
    Parrots:
    So what does it mean that Feargus is "ok with it"? It's ok for Sawyer to work on in his spare time, or it's ok for him to use their company resources to put together a pitch or a figstarter? Or it's ok to keep dreamin', Sawyer?

^ Top  
  20. Tigranes Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Tigranes
    Parrots:
    Serpent in the Staglands Torment: Tides of Numenera
    It means "you're overanalysing based on insufficient evidence, batman".

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Lexxx20 Educated

Lexxx20
    Parrots:
    I was hoping for a more... informative answer though. Not a regular Codex reader.

^ Top  
  22. oldmanpaco Master of Siestas

oldmanpaco
    Parrots:
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. <3sRichardSimmons Arcane

<3sRichardSimmons
    Parrots:
    Terrific interview. Read it throughout the day during bathroom breaks and commutes, and couldn't wait for my next chance to come back to it each time. Will likely give it another, closer, read come the weekend, but I think it speaks loads of JES' character that he's willing to give an interview like this to a site that has been as... critical of him as the Codex has. At the very least, the man has some mighty thick skin. Hats off to all involved; really top-notch content.

Come back Bubbles! :negative:

• Brofist Brofist x 3
    ^ Top  
  24. HoboForEternity Erudite

HoboForEternity
    Parrots:
    WHO'S THE VILLAIN NOW CODEX? WHO'S THE VILLAIN?

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. I'm With Her SausageInYourFace for prison Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Fargo and inXile shall make fine villians until PoE2 releases and the cycle of butthurt begins anew.

^ Top  
  26. Elwro Arcane Patron

Elwro
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
    What happened with this Bubbles guy? Did he pull an Exitium or what? Seems like a worthwile content-provider.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)