Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RPG Codex Interview: Grimoire: Heralds of the Winged Exemplar

thesheeep

Arcane
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Torment: Tides of Numenera Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I agree with most things Cleve says, even if he does say them too harsh, IMO.
Anyway...

Listen to your son, Cleve, play Arkham Asylum or even better, Arkham City. In my book and those of many others, Arkham Asylum is one of the best games in the last 10 years.
The last time I was that much in awe after finishing a game was probably after having played through Shogo or the whole BG series. Or Super Mario 64 (yeah, what, I was very young :D).

Mother Russia

Andhaira
Andhaira
Dumbfuck Queued
Codex 2013
SomehowI think of Cleave as David Hasselhoff eating that big ass hamburger while beign shirtless and stone out of his mind...while licking his fingers and doing some killah monster hamburger for Grimoir

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkGUI4bnQbQ

I like keeping the original MIDI music...but the cutscnes are definelty not a ggod idea IMO; old skool means no "cinematic" shite

I disagree, cutscenes are as golden age old skool as you gonna get. Cinematics are another thing, they are the new shit, especially the in game/in engine lip synching turds. But cutscenes OTOH provide for a memorable gaming experience. Ofcourse, since Cleve has limited resources and these things take time I do not advocate cutscenes for Grimoire. He can make them for Grimoire II however...

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Didn't Cleve mention on several occasions that he would never let the Codex interview him? I thought neanderthals were incapable of lying?

Marsal

Arcane
Didn't Cleve mention on several occasions that he would never let the Codex interview him? I thought neanderthals were incapable of lying?
He wasn't interviewed. Mr. Cleveland Mark Blakemore just talked aloud about His masterpiece and some fag Prophet Zed wrote it down for you fags members of prestigious magazine to know of His glorious creation. Now spread the word of Grimoire, pray twice a day facing south and behead all those who insult the Prophet write a strongly worded rebuttal to those who deny the existence of Grimoire!

dnf

Pedophile
Dumbfuck Shitposter
where is the you shut your whore mouth when cleve is talking gif.

Marsal

Arcane
where is the you shut your whore mouth when cleve is talking gif.

3r8qaf.jpg

In My Safe Space
Codex 2012
I'm glad the funding campaign is so long. Maybe I'll get my first pay this year in time to buy one copy.

EG

Nullified
Yes, feed into his insanity -- become a part of it.

FrancoTAU

Cipher
For any oldtimers here, Cleve having a legit interview on the Codex is one of the most surreal things ever. I'll def buy the game as I've always said, but I'm not sure if I'd pledge just on Cleve's flakiness. He seems sincere enough about finishing it, but there's going to be some doubt after 17 years.

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
I better be better than grimrock.

Hobo Elf

Arcane
I like Cleve's idea of taking a mythical premise and adding real human flaws to it. Of course this is the main idea of pretty much all mythology, but it's a simple (yet very powerful) detail that always manages to fly over the heads of developers in the big studios when they are developing games based on some kind of mythology. It's like Cleve is the only one who gets it.

Volrath

Arcane
Patron
gozioso AKA dumbfuck from the watch said:
This is absolutely hysterical, coming from a guy who is making a game which is basically a knock-off of Crusaders of the Dark Savant. You would have to be completely and utterly prejudiced (or blinded by hatred for Sir-Tech) to not see how much of a massive improvement Wizardry 8 was over it's predecessors:

+ True 3D environment
+ No more annoying random battles
+ No massive level grinding mandate to have any chance of surviving the next map
+ Missile weapons ARE actually useful
+ Vastly improved character development system
+ Wonderful (and at times hysterical) character voice sets
+ Good music
+ Superb interface
+ Oozes charm (subjective)
+ Classic "Old school" mechanics wrapped in all of the trappings of "New school", i.e. automapping, quest journal, right-click help text, etc.
- No built-in way to insanely speed up attack animations and monster movement (WizFast does help with this, though) [I find Wizardry 7 combat to be far more ponderous and sluggish, though]
- A lot of the best treasures are random
- No "monster surrender" option to bypass filler combat
- No real puzzles, per se
- Some grinding required for magic skills

I can't see myself ever playing a game like Grimoire (my contempt towards the author aside), because it represents such a massive regression in gameplay. There is something fundamentally wrong with most of those Codexians. They seem to believe that if a game isn't a massive inconvenience to play, then it isn't a real game.

I've mapped out my fair share of dungeons and filled out many reams of notebook paper over the years. Quite frankly, at 40 years old, I'm through with that shit. When a game starts to become like a job, then it's just not fun for me. I would rather spend my time enjoying a game's story and character progression than waste hours on forced tedium. I'm quite happy with the automapping, fast travel, quest markers and other conveniences that make a game a game. I play games to get away from work. Wizardry 8 was a huge step in the right direction for me. Your mileage may vary…
:smug:
Seems they can't take the rejection very well Cleve.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
Another shit kickstarter.
Will wonders never cease?

ohWOW

Sucking on dicks and being proud of it
Dumbfuck Queued
oh wow, sorry, I meant "it better be" of course.

MCA
I honestly don't give a shit about Cleve's persona. I can separate the person from the art: Burzum is one of my favorite bands, but Varg Vikernes is a despicable person. This game looks great despite the whole Cleve persona, which is likely very intentionally exaggerated online anyway.

But I don't believe this game is ever coming out. I think Cleve just likes the attention, and being able to hold the game above everyone and keeping it to himself. I will eat my hat if May 2012 rolls around and this game is actually out there for public consumption.

You better start looking for an edible hat.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom