Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

MuscleSpark

Augur
Patron
They're less professionalized - for example, the big English language sites don't work on weekends, whereas you'll see stuff appear on Polish and Russian sites 24/7.
That's one way to spin better work ethic, yeah.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
That's one way to spin better work ethic, yeah.

He says, while posting in a thread where a major topic is poor treatment of employees. :P

It would be better if these foreign gamejournos could rest on weekends like everybody else, but since they serve far smaller markets I suppose they can't afford that.

Zer0wing

Cipher
90+ of pages and no one tried to analyze and question Avellone's information? Why so careless, Codex? Where did your critical thinking go?

Chris Avellone keeps pushing this "troubles with management" kind of story and telling everyone he's not alone at sword's points with Feargus by dragging Eric Fenstermaker's departure into this and skewing facts (which is low and dishonest, wtf Chris). In reality, Eric left because for his family, a born child, not Feargus' interferrence and mismanagement. What else was left for Feargus when he was spat upon by co-founder like this? With Anthony Davis post consideration, I find it hard to blindly believe everything Chris says.

Considering Chris' work on Numanuma, DOS2, Prey, hell even Pillars of Fedoras, nothing for Obsidian has changed writing quality wise. No hard feelings.

Abu Antar

Turn-based Poster
Patron
Enjoy the Revolution! Another revolution around the sun that is. Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Here's where my suggested gif that I want added to the codex list should be used.
giphy.gif

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
He says, while posting in a thread where a major topic is poor treatment of employees. :P

It would be better if these foreign gamejournos could rest on weekends like everybody else, but since they serve far smaller markets I suppose they can't afford that.
Do you rest on weekends? Chances are many of them less professionalized people are running their sites for fun as well as for the meager profit.

StrongBelwas

Savant
Patron
more likely they're afraid of blowback from obsidian and related affiliates
Doubtful, I don't think they've ever been afraid before except when Obsidian was working with a publisher who had much more clout.
Cain project is being backed by a division of 2K isn't it? That is probably what they are really afraid of besides the current cash Obsidian is handing them

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
90+ of pages and no one tried to analyze and question Avellone's information? Why so careless, Codex? Where did your critical thinking go?

Chris Avellone keeps pushing this "troubles with management" kind of story and telling everyone he's not alone at sword's points with Feargus by dragging Eric Fenstermaker's departure into this and skewing facts (which is low and dishonest, wtf Chris). In reality, Eric left because for his family, a born child, not Feargus' interferrence and mismanagement. What else was left for Feargus when he was spat upon by co-founder like this? With Anthony Davis post consideration, I find it hard to blindly believe everything Chris says.

Considering Chris' work on Numanuma, DOS2, Prey, hell even Pillars of Fedoras, nothing for Obsidian has changed writing quality wise. No hard feelings.

It's not like we can dissuade Chris from his mission of revenge, so might as well get as much information out of him while this lasts. There'll be plenty of time to argue about it later.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
Lots of deluded commies and "commies" on this forum. Be careful what you wish for, you might just get it.

Why are you hate "commies", they ate your breakfast?
Keeping in mind your origin, I just fucking wonder.
In Greece fascists killed communists by thousands, and after WW2 same fascists who did that came to power anyway with help of "allies".

Unionise now. Alone, you beg. United, you bargain.

Unions doesn't work anymore, every union essentially want to take place of this filthy capitalist - with time.
That's why unions today closely related to criminal.

Guys, MCA is clearly out of his mind. He's ruining his own grade-A wage slave street cred for the next despicable employer who might've offered him a similar job in the future, on similar terms and with similar outcome. Nobody knows what exciting jobs MCA will miss out on because of it. What will MCA do now?
This is what I call REALLY bad form. I'm sure Feargus had good reasons to "employ" wife and friends who were never seen contributing anything to the Obshitian software development efforts. Using these methods to funnel company funds into private channels is well-established and accepted corporate policy, so mentioning it out loud clearly marks MCA as the villain here.

Shame on you Chris, I thought you were better than this.

That's a truly the best example of how really oppressed working class is.
Not only you are not advising that justice should be done - instead, you are advising not to inflate the case to not make it worse.
Clear and simple indicator of real situation at Saint West....

that wasn't REAL communism

But that was a REAL movement toward it, so no.

Ofc everyone from the former Eastern Bloc says they felt better in the old days. The reasons are multiple, and have little to do with how free, affluent or secure they were.

You see, I need to constantly remind miself, that Codex isn't a magical place. Yes, there is a lot of good guys, but all has it's limits, so you can't really talk wuth them about all things.
Even those good guys know nothing about "communism" - here in Russia masses know nothing about it, not telling of West that impregnate people with propaganda from the birth.
First it was capitalistic ropaganda, later corporate.
Yes, corporates are good, if I'm willingly agreed to be their slave - I'm not a slave! whoooo! Everything is fair!
What's good for corporation - good for us! Yep - you are reduced mentally to nothing more then Russian serfs, who thought the same - what's good for my nobleman good for me.
Unions - who need this?
And how to join it, if capitalism purposefully stimulated high mobiluty among workforce - just for one reason, that workers shouldn't form strong bonds with each other which is unevitable if you working long with somebody.
And of course of someone telling that he lived better with communism aka Not So Communism - he is just mistaken, foolish child (half-witted grandfather).
That's not the case when something saying how good a life with capitalism, and how bad it was with communism - yeah, they know better.

Today Codex appeared in the light - RPG "The fucking shame" Codex...

Zer0wing

Cipher
It's not like we can dissuade Chris from his mission of revenge, so might as well get as much information out of him while this lasts. There'll be plenty of time to argue about it later.
There's no better time when Avellone himself is still around.

2house2fly

Magister
It's kinda telling that most of these articles are from german and russian sites, so it's from Europe. The US big magazines are not really interested, until it is about sexual harassment, racism or any other sjw shit.
more likely they're afraid of blowback from obsidian and related affiliates
They dare not get on the bad side of the mighty Versus Evil, titans of the industry who published such top sellers as The Banner Saga 2, and... *adjusts glasses* Armikrog?

2house2fly

Magister

Chris's posts about how hard Fenstermaker was to work with makes me wonder if he wasn't encouraged to become a stay at home dad and to work from home when contracting

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
My experience is that foreign language sites have "looser" editorial standards in general. They're less professionalized - for example, the big English language sites don't work on weekends, whereas you'll see stuff appear on Polish and Russian sites 24/7.

I can almost guarantee you, at least a few journos from big English websites must have already looked through this thread by now, and decided to stay the fuck away. There just isn't much of a story here that can be confirmed with any degree of accuracy.

It's like, Avellone's description of Obsidian's upper management perfectly explains all of the previously unexplainable things about Obsidian. I mean, did anyone still believe that it's always the big bad publishers screwing them over? You just have to take what he says seriously.

But at the same time, we're talking drama between co-owners, which just has to be more complicated than what we are being led to believe. Then you have Eric and Anthony show up and contradict at least some of the stories. And then Chris isn't exactly helping himself with the timing of this thread a week before PoE2 launches and his insistence to leak stuff he has no business leaking, like all current drama he was not directly involved in and only hears about it from buddies still at the company.

Sentinel

Arcane

1) Anthony did not provide a timeline context for what he said (aside from his recent illness). We don't know if the events he describes occurred 15, 10, 5 or 1 year ago.
2) Anthony works at Obsidian, he's not gonna come here and agree with Avellone
3) Anthony and Eric are not part of upper management, so I'd be surprised if they knew half of what MCA is talking about
4) IIRC, and may Roguey aid my shit memory, MCA only wrote a couple side quests for Prey; designed the undead race background & the mask for Fane in DivOS2, did not actually write the companion; wrote arguably the best companion in Pillars.
Even if you assume MCA is lying, the fact that Obsidian treats its people like shit & is mismanaged isn't exactly news.

Developer
90+ of pages and no one tried to tag or ban these disgusting Obsidian fanboys? And is Master Chris Avellone (MCA) for you, you fucking mongolod.

I wouldn’t ban or tag anyone, I don’t think that helps a discussion – if someone has an opinion, they should be free to express it.

And if they can check something they feel is incorrect and get facts/confirmation, then they should do so, as it would actually end speculation (opinion on opinion arguments don't usually lead anywhere interesting unless the opponents are armed).

pomenitul

Arbiter
The implication that there cannot, by definition, be any gradations between crony capitalism and full communism is one of the most Codex-like things about this thread.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom