Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Maculo Liturgist

Maculo
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    My god man, how many do you have?

^ Top  
  2. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Chris Avellone Do you mind sharing your outlook on how well do you think Deadfire will turn out? Taking into consideration your knowledge of the team working on it and what you think they learned from how PoE ended up.

^ Top  
  3. 2house2fly Liturgist

2house2fly
    Parrots:
    Maybe them not having a lot of weight is why. Not enough people care about Obsidian for it to be much of a story m

^ Top  
  4. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Parrots:
    It is true, I will never get work again. What will I do? (I resisted adding a dramatic gasp to this, but I might do so in an edit.)

Unrelated (kidding but serious), I am happy to say I've been employed as a writer for Ghost Story Games (formerly Irrational) ever since my departure from Obsidian, and Ghost Story is great and their lore is amazing. Plus, their designers are smart (yes, Drew, I mean you) and I like what Ken Levine brings to characters very, very much.

I will expound later, after I desperately try and sift through my meager options, which don't include 10+ other companies doing exciting narrative shit - and not all of them in the States, thank god, because... well, U.S. games have a very safe feel to them.

The short of it is that none of the dozens of companies who reached out to me has ever cared overmuch about Obsidian and any troubles, because, well, it's Obsidian - most companies have bigger concerns to worry about.

Obsidian can keep doing whatever it is they do best. I wasn't sure what that was before my departure. I'm still not sure, beyond "I think it's a BG thing"... but there's often no mention of BioWare and their design principles when this is said. I will say Black Isle (Studios) would never have survived without what BioWare licensed to them (the Infinity Engine).

My take? I wish the developers well, but upper management? Get your shit together because the future is uncertain if you can't even develop and rely on your own tech.

• Brofist x 84
    • Funny x 5
    • Salute x 5
    • Informative x 4
    • When words are not enough x 3
    • Doggy x 3
    • incline x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • :M x 2
    • Edgy x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Build the Wall! x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    [​IMG]

It's a little hard to notice his talent if that's the thing that created problems to begin with. You can also be certain that they never dreamed that he would speak about any of it in public. They thought that they would do anything they wanted behind doors, while using his name in the process, and still get away with it.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  6. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Parrots:
    I am not the lead writer, I report to the very professional Alexander Komzolov, who has the narrative well in hand.

I'm happy to give you breakdowns of how much I've written/rescripted for the game once I get confirmation on some points.

• Brofist x 29
    • Thanks! x 3
    • nice x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • covfefe x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    Unity is bullcrap but they seem to have shaped into a pretty decent thing with PoE2? It's not wholly self-proprietary of course but it's not like they run a risk of losing the platform because some publisher is feeling grumpy.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  8. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    But you need to hear the other side of the story. I'm sure they have a perfectly good explanation about that too, right? Let's not jump to conclusions. Maybe Avellone's IP adress was the problem. Let's be reasonable about this. LOL

Last edited: May 3, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 5
    ^ Top  
  9. 2house2fly Liturgist

2house2fly
    Parrots:
    He hasn't objected to multiple people trying to get in touch with the big gaming sites about this, so you can probably knock yourself out

^ Top  
  10. SausageInYourFace Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Could you maybe tell us a bit what you'd percieve as the main difference between working for Obsidian, inXile and Larian? In terms of organisation and work practice but also general corporate culture?

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Parrots:
    I believe he contributed a great deal to what made God of War great, and I felt the game was amazing for it.

I also believe that his lead programmer also had some very good points about how to manage design.

• Informative x 4
    • Friendly x 4
    • Agree x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. you know what time it is Arcane

you know what time it is
    Parrots:
    Speaking of which, how did the whole Pathfinder thing came to be? And how different it is to work with folks/studios from other countries?

^ Top  
  13. Israfael Arcane

Israfael
    Parrots:
    At the times of the "Brother-None-gate" I thought Obsidian was different to Fargo and friends, it seems not so much... My eternal appreciation to Chris, I hope you persevere, shame it ended this way.

• Friendly Friendly x 3
    ^ Top  
  14. Maculo Liturgist

Maculo
    Parrots:
    I may not get an answer to all my questions (i.e., Sawyer), but this thread did shed some light on the matter.

For what little it is worth, thanks Chris Avellone. I hope Ghost Story Games proves to be a good fit.

Now, I need to reinstall PST.

• Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Parrots:
    I have no idea, but based on Obsidian's track record, I wouldn't buy any game from them until the first expansion/DLC came out.

Not trying to be a dick, but it's true - they don't have a great track record of launching a title. I prefer to give it a few months (which also lets me hear how good the story is).

• Funny x 38
    • Brofist x 22
    • Agree x 14
    • When words are not enough x 4
    • Salute x 3
    • nice x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Participation Award x 1
    • gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    • covfefe x 1
    • Win! x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    They are according to Chris :shittydog:

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Doggy Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Phanax Novice Patron

Phanax
    Parrots:
    So, got any more juicy gossip to share? Clearly you're not worried about burning bridges so let it all out. It's therapeutic!

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  18. aratuk Savant

aratuk
    Parrots:
    Yes!! I think you + Ken Levine could do something very cool, even if (heresy!) it might not be an RPG…

One thing about the saga in this thread that I don't understand is how the other owners at Obsidian managed not to buy you out of your share(s) when you left, or do they still owe you?

• Makes you think... Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. SausageInYourFace Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    To be fair, thats true for virtually every RPGs these days. Better wait a few months, in fact, wait a few years until the special extented directors cut complete edition comes out.

• Agree Agree x 7
    ^ Top  
  20. Jasede Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Jasede
    Parrots:
    Sorry, I had deleted the post. But yes, #1 Dad.

• Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Chris Avellone Arcane Developer

Chris Avellone
    Parrots:
    I concur with this.

• Brofist x 22
    • Agree x 5
    • When words are not enough x 4
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Friendly x 2
    ^ Top  
  22. Maculo Liturgist

Maculo
    Parrots:
    Lol, I deleted my post as well, it looked awkward without context.

^ Top  
  23. Phanax Novice Patron

Phanax
    Parrots:
    Or indeed, a restoration mod. *cough* *cough*

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. 2house2fly Liturgist

2house2fly
    Parrots:
    I had been under the impression he wasn't involved in God Of War 2, which I liked a lot more, and thought "good riddance" but then I looked it up recently and turns out he was involved after all. So, good not riddance

^ Top  
  25. Vaarna_Aarne Notorious Internet Vandal Patron

Vaarna_Aarne
    Parrots:
    MCA Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
    Man, reading about the NDA/non-compete screwjob makes my blood boil. Even trying that sort of thing should be illegal. Reminds me of why my grandfather used to say that one of the two things communists got right was hanging all the lawyers.

Chris Avellone related to your wonderful Tony Jay anecdote, and the well-known saga of Ron Perlman's quest for your blood, when South Park was being worked on did Matt and Trey ever drop by Obsidian?

Human sacrifice! Mass hysteria!

It gives a man hope against hope for Freedom Force 3.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)