Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

ArchAngel

Arcane
I can't speak to Monty beyond he was absolutely right to resign after Aliens got the toilet flush.

Well since you're in the right kind of mood, the fun begins here: http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/inde...ith-monty-markland.120041/page-3#post-5450789

Wonder if we ever get one of these for Larian someday and complete the trifecta.
I would prefer one for Beamdog instead. Much more fun drama to be had there.

Last edited:

ColonelTeacup

Liturgist
All memeing aside, Chris Avellone Infi does have a point here, airing of grievances on that scale is not something I've seen people in the industry do, not unless they've had a long-term job lined up and they felt very secure about their future.

Why are you telling all of this now? Is it because the NDA expired just now? Is it just a spur of the moment thing?
What's your big plan?
I'm sure with his credentials, as well as how extreme Obsidians upper managements abuse against him was, most companies will see why he complained. It's one thing to badmouth former employers, it's another matter entirely when your employers go out of their way to fuck with you to such an egregious degree.

Generic-Giant-Spider

We have the possibility of seeing Lord Avellone form an alliance, a power trip if you will, with Baron Cleveland to bring RPGidia to the prosperous incline it was destined for.

All hail the new world order.

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I'm late to the party, but Jesus fucking Christ. Needless to say my Deadfire pre-order has been cancelled as well as all future purchases for the sheer scummery of it. Congratulations Feargus, you just played yourself.

YdUFP3r__400x400.jpg

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
For me the question still revolves around this:

I'm curious, however, how does this stand with Chris' unique position of being both a co-owner and a developer. He is subordinated as a designer to people who are subordinated to himself in his other role of co-owner.

My reading is that the "job descriptions mean nothing" mentality was applying as far up the chain as the co-owners, and the actual hierarchy of power and decision making didn't match anything that was on paper. There is no other explanation for me, with the little knowledge I have, of why a co-owner would be so powerless as to have to explain himself to another co-owner and be overruled on his decisions of organizing the work process in his own department - narrative.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I dislike fake humility as much as you, but there appears to have been other writers on that project. Also the Planescape campaign was obviously pre-existing, Chris didn't write it from scratch.

I'm sure Michelangelo had help redecorating the Sistine Chapel too. And I hear he based it on pre-existing work as well.

Being a practical sort, these days I think less about Planescape: Torment and more about the Fallout: New Vegas DLCs. Thoroughly Avellonesque, but small and eminently doable. Surely he could create games like that without embarking on the dreaded death march.

Developer
All memeing aside, Chris Avellone Infi does have a point here, airing of grievances on that scale is not something I've seen people in the industry do, not unless they've had a long-term job lined up and they felt very secure about their future.

Why are you telling all of this now? Is it because the NDA expired just now? Is it just a spur of the moment thing?
What's your big plan?

Good question – most employees won’t ever speak to this, because they sign an NDA to that effect. I didn’t.

I didn’t think to respond to anything until it was suddenly clear that it was not understood what I got as an Obsidian owner (which was nothing), but no one understood that. Except Infinitron. My sweet, sweet Infinitron.

I ASK INANE QUESTIONS

ITZ NEVER STOPS COOOMING
Patron
Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm sure with his credentials, as well as how extreme Obsidians upper managements abuse against him was, most companies will see why he complained. It's one thing to badmouth former employers, it's another matter entirely when your employers go out of their way to fuck with you to such an egregious degree.
I dunno, my man. People in the management and HR positions are their own belligerent little tribe, especially in the gaming industry. I've seen a few careers tank just because people were making waves.
Of course, none of them were even close to Avellone's caliber, so quod licet iovi and all that. Well, whatever happens next, I sure hope this shitstorm in a teacup won't affect Chris negatively.

My reading is that the "job descriptions mean nothing" mentality was applying as far up the chain as the co-owners, and the actual hierarchy of power and decision making didn't match anything that was on paper. There is no other explanation for me, with the little knowledge I have, of why a co-owner would be so powerless as to have to explain himself to another co-owner and be overruled on his decisions of organizing the work process in his own department - narrative.

Yes, this is a very interesting question.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
How is it possible to own shares and "get nothing" when you leave the company you owned shares in? Or you didn't own shares in the first place? Then what is behind "co-owner", what do you own? Or was this false as well?

Developer
Being a practical sort, these days I think less of Planescape: Torment and more of the Fallout: New Vegas DLCs. Thoroughly Avellonesque, but small and eminently doable. Surely he could create games like that without embarking on the dreaded death march.

I could if there weren't so many horrible catastrophic problems to fix from the New Vegas core game... which we tried to allocate resources to fix because it was everyone's (pls don't let go everyone who's done an amazing job for us) interest for not finishing the issues in the FNV core game. I am forever grateful to them.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
How is it possible to own shares and "get nothing" when you leave the company you owned shares in? Or you didn't own shares in the first place? Then what is behind "co-owner", what do you own? Or was this false as well?

Co-leads, especially (which I observed at Black Isle) caused problems, and I've never seen a co-lead situation work

:troll:

ArchAngel

Arcane
I dunno, my man. People in the management and HR positions are their own belligerent little tribe, especially in the gaming industry. I've seen a few careers tank just because people were making waves.
Of course, none of them were even close to Avellone's caliber, so quod licet iovi and all that. Well, whatever happens next, I sure hope this shitstorm in a teacup won't affect Chris negatively.

Yes, this is a very interesting question.
At worst Avellone can become our Codex meme: a professional crowdfunding stretch goal :)

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Being a practical sort, these days I think less of Planescape: Torment and more of the Fallout: New Vegas DLCs. Thoroughly Avellonesque, but small and eminently doable. Surely he could create games like that without embarking on the dreaded death march.

I could if there weren't so many horrible catastrophic problems to fix from the New Vegas core game... which we tried to allocate resources to fix because it was everyone's (pls don't let go everyone who's done an amazing job for us) interest for not finishing the issues in the FNV core game. I am forever grateful to them.

Oh I don't mean in Bethesda's engine. Just an Avellone-esque first person game. You ever heard of Jordan Thomas' The Magic Circle? Bee did a great review of it: http://www.rpgcodex.net/content.php?id=10001

Imoens pet

Prospernaut
Shitposter
This drama mine is getting even more interesting! I went ahead plastered this shit all over their official steam forums.

Quillon

Arcane
Good question – most employees won’t ever speak to this, because they sign an NDA to that effect. I didn’t.

Why there was an apparent illusion that you couldn't talk about stuff because of something/NDA then? As Fairfax reported/implied(can't recall atm) many times. Have you been waiting for some bridge repairs/genuine olive branches/kiss on the lips from Sawyer?

Also have you been drinking today? :P

Grab the Codex by the pussy
but I like Eric and Chris both
what do I do now

Jesus sweet fucking Christ. Just read through the thread and I'm clearly flabbergasted. Never seen it this coming, and I still can't believe Chris opened the floodgates this badly. What should an Obsidian and Chris Avellone fanboy like myself should do after this?
What a time to be alive!

Full disclosure: Robert asked me to write some dialogue for it but I regretfully declined due to other commitments such as shitposting on the codex.
Fixed. You missed an opportunity, you fool.

If cutting dialogue and refactoring some code means anything more than a couple of hours of busywork, it seems there's something seriously wrong with Obsidian's tools. I believe I read somewhere that you hooked up your dialogue tool for New Vegas to Unity... how arcane that environment must be for this to be an issue. I can hardly believe it. I've only been working with Unity for about a year and a half, but if I delete a line in my dialogue system, all dependent scripts are automatically adjusted or throw warnings if they have co-dependencies, which I can then systematically adjust.
Y22tlUZ.png

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom