Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by Infinitron, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Click here and disable ads!
    It's common for writers to become alienated by their peers due to the nature of their creative process.

They probably grew to resent his freedom, started stonewalling him out of spite.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy
    It's the other way around. Project lead gets to decide anything he wants, wrote character, had more VO for his character, cut content, humiliated the narrative lead, preventing their best talent to shine, etc. What a mess. This interview is surreal. It's actually worse than I thought.

• Brofist x 1
    • Funny x 1
    • incline x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. ga♥ Learned

ga♥
    Parrots:
    Could be. And I believe he still could have stopped what was going on. Instead he did nothing (for reasons I wish someone would have asked him) and then left the company.

^ Top  
  4. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    • Funny x 39
    • Brofist x 14
    • When words are not enough x 11
    • Prestigious x 3
    • Balanced x 2
    • Goldfist x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Thanks! x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    Stopped? How, exactly? This thing was the result of years living together, backstabbing, jealousy and resentment. They were using his name on public, while hating him for the same reason in their daily lives. You know what all mediocre people have in common? They are always eager to organize themselves in order to elliminate the threat of the most talented one. This must be a law of nature, or something. Imagine how many opportunities he lost after all these years working like a horse, trying to fix other people's fuckups and still having to endure this shit. The only surprising thing is that he waited for so long.

• Despair Despair x 3
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Edgy Edgy x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. ga♥ Learned

ga♥
    Parrots:
    I pretty much agree on this. This happens pretty much in all work environments.
    Thing is still can't capacitate myself why would he be doing this while being one of the owners.

He alredy said I think he regrets not choosing earlier the freelancing road though.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Here's my question for Chris Avellone:

Does he? Did he? He didn't actually say.

Regardless of how the cutting of Durance and Grieving Mother was communicated, it remains possible that Avellone had gone out of scope writing them because he was disconnected from what the rest of the team was doing.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • rolleyes x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    Good question. Here is another one: if he were the design lead, what would he do differently? JarlFrank can steal use his answers for his game project.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Fenix Liturgist Vatnik

Fenix
    Parrots:
    Looks like SJW-related stuff and stuff "that you can't speak about" in general.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Creative Creative x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. JarlFrank I like Thief THIS much Patron Developer

JarlFrank
    Parrots:
    Chris Avellone for Realms Beyond Kickstarter stretch goal?

• Yes x 6
    • When words are not enough x 4
    • Excited! x 4
    • Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  11. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    Nah, lead designer.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Ocelot570 Literate

Ocelot570
    Parrots:
    Does Obsidian just not know what to do anymore? It seems that they have fallen to the curse of mainstream and only make games that will fit the mainstream. PoE II now seems mainstream with all VO when that could have gone into improving the game so much. MCA did say how VO costs so much. The systems or maybe even the story could have been greatly improved if they didn't do as much VO. It sucks to see a once great developer just fall of the ledge into temptation for greater profits when their base so desperately is not the mainstream. They are trying to make a mainstream game for not the mainstream. Does not make any sense.

• Agree x 4
    • Brofist x 3
    • Creative x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • :( x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Iskramor Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck

Iskramor
    Parrots:
    Again this old argument against VO. Money could not go into improving game since all talented people left obsidian .So whos gonna improve it??

• Funny x 10
    • retadred x 3
    • nice x 1
    • cuck x 1
    • Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Reality check: No isometric/non-action RPG in 2018 is "mainstream". Divinity Original Sin 2 isn't mainstream either. Even NuXCOM isn't really mainstream. They're all highly successful niche games.

• Agree x 10
    • :M x 5
    • WTF am I reading x 3
    • retadred x 3
    • Participation Award x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • [citation needed] x 2
    • decline x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • "It was Aliens" x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Parrots:
    1. Yeah but he has to answer to the owners.
    2. Yeah.
    3. Citation needed. Does Pallegina have more voiced lines than the others?
    4. It's his job.
    5. Conjecture.
    6. Conjecture.

Anyway I think this is related:

• Balanced x 6
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • Informative x 3
    • Funny x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • not sure if serious x 1
    • I found this text to be too long and as such I didn't read it x 1
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Fairfax Arcane

Fairfax
    Parrots:
    No, that part is recent. I believe he was only referring to the Kickstarter and the opportunity for InXile.

I think he genuinely values a team's hierarchy, and it's clear Obsidian had issues with owners pulling rank and hurting the process and/or the game. It makes sense that he wouldn't do the same.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Quillon Cipher

Quillon
    Parrots:
    He nobly leaves himself out of the list of who benefited from PST. Being associated with PST all these years must have damaged his rep quite badly, prolly he's having a hard time freelancing cos nobody wants to work with the guy who wrote that game which usually sits on top of all time rpg lists.

• Funny x 7
    • Edgy x 3
    • Agree x 1
    • When words are not enough x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Neanderthal Arcane

Neanderthal
    Parrots:
    Yeah but it almost killed him apparently so two steps forward, two steps back.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    ^ Top  
  19. SausageInYourFace Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    How is it that Sawyer became Narrative Lead even though he isn't exactly known as a writer and his companion for PoE was lacklustre?

• it is a mystery x 6
    • "It was Aliens" x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. TheSentinel Magister

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    Because he did an outstanding job in structuring the narrative around the faction system in FNV.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Shit Shit x 3
    • gimme dem dolla bills gimme dem dolla bills x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Narrative Lead != Writer. The Lead Narrative Designer is (in theory at least) the guy who determines the broad strokes of the game's story. In PoE1, Eric Fenstermaker was both Lead Narrative Designer and Lead Writer. Lead Writer of PoE2 is assumed to be Carrie Patel.

• Funny x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Interesting x 1
    • Informative x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Junmarko Ravioli di canguro Patron

Junmarko
    Parrots:
    Grab the Codex by the pussy Bubbles In Memoria Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Design the ideal hierarchy.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    1. This interview suggested a different picture. It was obvious that Feargus, Parker and the others only did what Sawyer told them. They treated Avellone like a juniour design with no experience and he was "an owner".

3. This is an inference I made based on the interview. He suggested that some NPCs had more VO than others, and it was implicit that his characters suffered more cuts.

4. Done poorly, because he cuted the wrong content. In any scenario you can think of, the game would be much better with one of these Avellone NPC quets, which was exactly what this game lacked.

5. This was suggested by Avellone in the interview. If by this evidentiary standards this is a conjecture, we can't take any of Sawyer's tweets for granted, because it will be all conjecture by this point. The words of one guy against the other. What breaks the tie in this discussion is that they would never choose such small role for Avellone if weren't for petty jealousy. That's obvious.

6. Only if you considered the difference in talent between Avellone and the rest of the team a conjecture.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
    • retadred retadred x 2
    • When words are not enough When words are not enough x 1
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    Bragging about his role "model" in F:NV, that game that had all the development tools at their disposition from the conception and yet was released with tons of bugs. I guess all that time wasted taking pictures of the desert and recording western songs could be better implemented fixing the bugs that gave them a bad rep and made them lose a significant bonus, but maybe that's conjecture. Here is another conjecture: most of them were happy in New Vegas was Avellone was trying to save Alpha Protocol because someone else had to fix their fuck ups.

• retadred retadred x 4
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Shit Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Blakemoreland Hybrid Boss Magister Patron

Parrots:
    • incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)