Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Sentinel

Arcane
Canceled my dumpsterfire pre-order.

Fuck Obsidian, I was still willing to give them a chance but not anymore. Gonna send an email with Avellone's post to a couple of my Euro gaming journalists friends, I hope at least some will decide to cover this.
I'd be reluctant to do that. There's still a chance Obsidian tries to get Avellone in a legal mess for that post. If it gets wide coverage that chance might increase.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
I didn’t get anything when I left Obsidian. There were no share payouts, no equity, and this was in addition to the other logistical problems around the departure – the sudden cancellation of my health insurance, problems with my 401K, errors in Obsidian’s accounting, and several existing independent contracts they refused to uphold.

Waaaaaaaaait a minute. "Sudden" cancellation? Why it would be sudden if you'd planned on resigning?

Chris, were you fired from Obsidian?

thekdawg21

Augur
Project: Eternity
So Chris says nothing for 5 years and then a week before Pillars 2 launches, he suddenly takes a monumental Godzilla-sized dump on entire Obsidian leadership.

This level of pettiness is something I aspire to, I take my cap off to you sir.

I doubt that's what triggered it. Did you forget the title of the thread you're reading?

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2
But Obsidian are the good guys right? The underdogs!

"This is what we do to someone who we've worked with for decades... imagine what we'll do to someone we don't actually like."

DarkUnderlord, might I suggest charging people a small convenience fee to have their Obsidian backer badges removed upon request? Great fundraising opportunity, here.

Pfft, you don't simply go removing your badges of shame.

Fairfax

Arcane
To leverage a sick family member to gain an upper hand in negotiations, if I'm interpreting this correctly, is fucking dispicable, and reason enough for me to never support an obsidian game ever again.
Yeah, the fact they pulled that shit while MCA's mother was fighting cancer is mindblowing. I didn't have much of a reason to support Obsidian already, but now it's a no-brainer.

markec

Twitterbot
Patron
Codex 2012 Strap Yourselves In Codex Year of the Donut Codex+ Now Streaming! Dead State Project: Eternity Codex USB, 2014 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
But Obsidian are the good guys right? The underdogs!

"This is what we do to someone who we've worked with for decades... imagine what we'll do to someone we don't actually like."

DarkUnderlord, might I suggest charging people a small convenience fee to have their Obsidian backer badges removed upon request? Great fundraising opportunity, here.

Pfft, you don't simply go removing your badges of shame.

I will wear my badge as long as I am here, to remind myself of mistakes of the past so I will never again repeat them.

Prime Junta

Well I do hope he has his ass covered then. And that Obsidian aren't cunts idiots of olympic proportions.

It's unlikely that this shitstorm will do much to their bottom line. Suing MCA, however, might sink them. Mega bad publicity stretched over a long time, it would poison the working atmosphere dividing the place into loyal drones and a fifth column, there would likely be resignations among key people, it would get that much harder to hire new talent, and so on and so forth.

If they're at all smart, they'll hunker down with a curt "No comment" to any inquiries until this blows over. And it will, unless they do something as egregiously stupid as making this into a juicy court case.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Well I do hope he has his ass covered then. And that Obsidian aren't cunts idiots of olympic proportions.

It's unlikely that this shitstorm will do much to their bottom line. Suing MCA, however, might sink them. Mega bad publicity stretched over a long time, it would poison the working atmosphere dividing the place into loyal drones and a fifth column, there would likely be resignations among key people, it would get that much harder to hire new talent, and so on and so forth.

If they're at all smart, they'll hunker down with a curt "No comment" to any inquiries until this blows over. And it will, unless they do something as egregiously stupid as making this into a juicy court case.

Yeah, if Obsidian were going to do something like that, they should have done it around the time of that Sugarbombed interview back in 2016: http://www.rpgcodex.net/article.php?id=10457

Now, a week before PoE2, maybe a month before Cainarsky is announced - too late.

Otterz

Literate
Well, no shit.
If what Chris said about Obsidian's high circles trying to use his family issues to their advantage is true, then I hope the responsible assholes get thrown off a very steep cliff asap.

Alpan

Arcane
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy Pathfinder: Wrath
While MCA's post is definitely a bombshell -- expect it to show up in other gaming websites as well -- and I will think thrice about ever buying an Obsidian game again, I'm not sure the time and the place was the best. Obsidian is not only its upper management; a lot of good people work there and it will be interesting to see if these revelations will have any ramifications for them in the future.

Prime Junta

Obsidian is not only its upper management; a lot of good people work there and it will be interesting to see if these revelations will have any ramifications for them in the future.

We're right in the middle of a massive economic upswing. If Obsidian shut down now, everyone there would be in new jobs within weeks. Now is exactly the right time.

Edit: and the Fearg could always jump on the blockchain bandwagon with Fargo

Haba

Harbinger of Decline
Patron
Codex 2012 MCA Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2

I don't think they legally can comment on it.

You can avoid defamation lawsuits entirely by remembering these rules:

1. When discussing an employee’s performance or conduct, discuss it only with people who have a need for the information. Think carefully about who is in the room when you have the discussion. Ask any people who do not need to know about the incident to leave – this may include security personnel, an administrative assistant and so on.
  2. Decide in advance how you will respond to employees who ask about the termination. We suggest prohibiting managers and supervisors from making any statement about an employee’s termination. Instead they should say they cannot talk about the matter. Make sure they understand that this includes talking about it “off the record” or with assurances that the other person “won’t tell anyone.” Refer all inquiries to a single person – perhaps the human resources manager.
  3. If the termination is causing disruption at work or rumors are spreading about the situation, the employer may want to make a statement to stop these problems. In this case, consult an attorney first to determine what can and should be said.

But then again Obshittian has already displayed great lack of common sense, so maybe we'll get lucky!

Blaine

Cis-Het Oppressor
Patron
Grab the Codex by the pussy
...it would poison the working atmosphere....

The horse is already out of the barn on that one. When you start to see dangerhairs and nerdy grrrls popping up in a developer's publicity material on the regular, the well has already been poisoned.

I'm not going to get too much into this again since I've already said plenty in the Deadfire megathread, but I'm never wrong about this. I was right about BioWare ages ago, and some of you may not know that I went through almost the exact same spiel when I began cataloging dangerhair inXile employees several years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belshazzar's_feast

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom