Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Interview: Chris Avellone on Pillars Cut Content, Game Development Hierarchies and More

Mustawd

re: child labor

IIRC, Chris Keenan from inXile started working at Interplay when he was 15 years old.

Google says that age limit is 14 in CAli.

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
HEY GUYS FOR FUCK SAKE WAIT I WANT MY CAINARSKY PROJECT FIRST AND THEN YOU CAN DO WHATEVER THE HELL YOU WANT
Who cares? They would replace stats for figures anyway. Let Obsidian close its doors so they can make a new studio with Avellone, Stygian Software, Iron Tower, and Whalenought Studios. It will be glorious!
At least one of the founders is on record that he doesn't need money any more.

2house2fly

Magister
Hey Chris, big fan, quick question: all this stuff you've talked about that Feargus did seems pretty rough, and yet I see you're quite comfortable saying his name. Hypothetically, under what circumstances would you refuse to acknowledge Feargus in any but the most oblique terms?

Alienman

Retro-Fascist
Patron
Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Codex Year of the Donut Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Obsidian with the first ever RPG made with the help of child-labor. That got to be worth something.

Grab the Codex by the pussy
But muh Bloodlines got them figures anyway :negative:
latest

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
My understanding is that having true ghost employees can be considered tax fraud as the tax forms filled out fraudulent. In addition, the tax returns which would include these tax payments would also be considered fraudulent.

Now I do agree with you that the IRS is likely not the best organization to report this to for a variety of reasons. However, I also would not discount it as MCA providing more details to a professional might open up possibilities we’re not aware of because we’re not tax lawyers.

I seem to remember an issue with closely held companies when it comes to salaries of owners and family members. Basically the IRS might consider a 100k salary for an owner’s wife as a disguided dividend. This is because dividends get taxed twice: Once as a dividend and again as part of that person’s income. So the fraud includes finding a way to disguise this dividend as something else. Aka a family member’s salary. The term is referred to as constructive dividends.

Payments to family members of shareholders: Amounts paid to a family member that were in excess of the value of services the family member provided constituted a constructive dividend (Snyder, T.C. Memo. 1983-692). Also, payments to a family member made on a lease that did not have a business purpose were constructive dividends (58th Street Plaza Theatre, 16 T.C. 469 (1951)).

I’m not saying this is necessarily fraud, as I’m not a lawyer and my work only deals with taxes very peripherally. But I wouldn’t necessarily discount the fact that there are tax implications with what MCA describes that the IRS would be interested in. This is a random example I remembered from a tax class years ago.

I thought about that, but I am still inclined to start with state authorities first. Furthermore, Bester's complaint appears to focus on ghost employees (i.e.,the employee does not exist), whereas here the employees do exist, but those employees are family members with questionable duties. Maybe it is a a false distinction I am making, but I am inclined to view those two as separate claims, although possibly related.

At this point, Chris Avellone needs to make a couple calls if he is serious about it.

Last edited:

Fairfax

Arcane
That Stonekeep 2 cover is beautiful. That reminds me why I love rpgs.
The cover he made for BG3 is beautiful as well:

Eh... not exactly. I remeber it was quest - that's how I called then adventures, and it was in 3D maybe.
Maybe its name included word "Chapters" or something liek that. Maybe it was non-profit project and was a mod first.
I saw it definitely AFTER PS:T, but not far after - like 2000-2002 or something like that.
I'd guess it was the City of Doors Initiative (aka CODI), a NWN1 fan project that started in 2002. IIRC they did create a lot of areas and models, but never a complete module. It didn't have chapters, though. That was Planescape: The Shaper of Dreams, a NWN2 mod.

Who is the artist?
Artist who made the cover art? Vance Kovacs.

The Wall

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck Zionist Agent
Chris Avellone is Infinitron on Obsidian's payroll too?
Wow, didn't know Feargus has son who works for Israeli Defence Force, wrote Tyranny and is mod on RPG Codex while only being 10 year old!

That's why Avellone has been teasing him entire thread, cause he knows him from Obsidian but won't go too hard on him cause he's well, 10 year old and sins of father are not passed on son. Money is though...

IHaveHugeNick

Arcane
The IRS angle is completely deranged. If the wife is officially on the books, then she fills her taxes. And if she fills her taxes, why would IRS give a slightest amount of fuck about specifics of her employment. The IRS wants its loot. Once they get that, they don't give a shit.

Mustawd

I thought about that, but I am still inclined to start with state authorities first. Furthermore, Bester's complaint appears to focus on ghost employees (i.e.,the employee does not exist), whereas here the employees do exist, but those employees are family members with questionable duties.

Well, LA county district attorney has a white collar crime division, so that’s probably the best bet.

http://da.co.la.ca.us/contact/office-directory/white-collar-crime-division

Chrio

Novice
Be aware, not that im denying anything, but grains of salt might be useful, as the Codex is an Avellone fanboy haven that tends to shit on devs like Obsidian in current times and is full of honestly trash people. I mean, just browse some of the codex threads and you get a sense of the type of folk that hang out there. They have something to gain from dropping this right before Pillars 2 comes out.

edit: lots of swearing against resetera / neogaf

@topic baked the game with 250€€€ fuck me

@avallone what a fucking shitshow, no business is a honeybunny lovetrain but this is straight out of a nightmare. as an economist it makes someone quite curious whats going on with the obsidian management, i mean they have quite a lot of somewhat successful and well known ip´s and still are struggling for years now.

Last edited:

Maculo

Arcane
Patron
Strap Yourselves In Pathfinder: Wrath
The IRS angle is completely deranged. If the wife is officially on the books, then she fills her taxes. And if she fills her taxes, why would IRS give a slightest amount of fuck about specifics of her employment. The IRS wants its loot. Once they get that, they don't give a shit.
Because an owner may try to structure payments to the reduce tax implications. As Mustawd stated prior, a dividend (i.e. payment to shareholder) typically has a higher tax burden than a wage. To avoid the higher tax burden, one just pays a family member a "wage" and saves on the taxes.

Infinitron

I post news
Staff Member
Codex Year of the Donut Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Pathfinder: Wrath I'm very into cock and ball torture I helped put crap in Monomyth
Chris Avellone is Infinitron on Obsidian's payroll too?
Wow, didn't know Feargus has son who works for Israeli Defence Force, wrote Tyranny and is mod on RPG Codex while only being 10 year old!

That's why Avellone has been teasing him entire thread, cause he knows him from Obsidian but won't go too hard on him cause he's well, 10 year old and sins of father are not passed on son. Money is though...

My role at Obsidian is "that RPG Codex dude who sends passive-aggressive shitposts to Josh Sawyer's Tumblr Q&A at least three times a week, trolls on Pillars of Eternity Twitch chats, tries to insert inappropriate memes as Kickstarter backer content, and stirs up drama on the forums every chance he gets"

Grab the Codex by the pussy

250 pages later....

Feargus' prison was completely unecessary. Avellone didn't provide any concrete evidence. I'm sure that Obsidian will reopen its doors soon enough. The government doesn't have all this power.

What can change the nature of a fanboy?

toro

Arcane
Vatnik

I agree. This is a conflict between two business owners bound by a shareholders agreement and that agreement should incorporate some dispute resolution mechanisms.

My guess is that there no such agreement or Feargus wrote it. You cannot be "de-ownered" without compensation unless there are some other contractual obligations which MCA did not mention.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom