Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

Gepeu

Savant
Patron
May God be merciful to Elex-deniers.

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Poll results seem reasonable, much butthurt in comments, all is as it should be.

Not so surprised by Prey's high position to be honest, game is basically a homage to SS2, and actually improves on it in several ways. What's not to like?

Thanks for taking the time to organize this felipepepe, you are a bro.

AdolfSatan

Arcane
Great work, felipepepe. Gonna check to see what I might have missed of worth.
Shame seeing how few were the people that played WoL, probably the best RPG from 2017.

YES!

Hi, I'm Roqua
Dumbfuck
The results make perfect sense giving this community. I also love how the pokeman loving poll creator bronie actually said this was a weak year for true rpgs when it was factually one of the strongest this century. I also appreciate that Josh Sawyer purposefully called Battle Brothers a game and not an rpg game, as it certainly wasn't. Squad/army focused games with lite rpg elements where you go do one battle, return, rinse, repeat is not and never will be an rpg. I love XCOM and JA2 and silent storm, etc, and still have the cognitive ability to understand they belong in the strategy gaming forum. And since XCOMs 2 expansion was completely ignored by this poll, I highly the doubt the poll creator's pokeman addled mind is so compromised and devoid of reality it also knows it.

I have never played Prey because the couple times I asked about the rpg mechanics of it no one could answer the question. I can easily answer that question regarding SS2. I also think SS2 had very well done character development. So either this community is too stupid and ignorant to answer the simple question, or there is nothing to answer with. Either case seems reasonable giving this community and the poll creator, their ignorance, and tendency not to think nor know things but extreme love of and preference for console child games. And yes, I can and do like console games with rpg elements when they have competently done UIs that work for KB + M and heavy rpg elements such as ELEX.

Another year and the decline is reaching terminal velocity for this site. Neither the leadership nor the community know shit about dick. Without a purge and clear guidance this site may as well call itself childgamercentral. Hopefully Infinitron, who seems to have been given knew powers, will use them to bring this site back to the vastly more adult, knowledgeable, and actual rpg focused site it was a decade and a half ago.

V_K

Arcane
As for curiosities, Unexplored proved it's worth a look - this exotic roguelike had the highest % of positive votes in the poll: 84%!
I'm more surprised at how many votes it got, I thought me and ColCol were the only people here who actually played it.
But it's certainly worth checking out, even for people who aren't roguelike fans (as am I, for example), it's much more of a top-down Ultima Underworld than anything else.

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
D:OS 2's score was probably leveraged towards the better end because of the 4-point scale. I personally gave it the best score, but only because giving the same score to both it and Elex felt wrong when Elex's flaws felt more substantial.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
The poll is shit,here you don't vote for the best rpg,you give score to games that came out this year. True poll should have only one vote per person and not scoring system.

Monty

Arcane
The new, more inclusive Dex

1CvX6x.png

LmtHNSa.jpg

2016 poll had been open for approximately two weeks, from 14 Jan, 'till 1 Feb. :hmmm:
Anyway, didn't vote, because I though I will have more time, and look at this mess. Prey? Waifumata? What? Dominions are p. cool, but why is it and Spellforce are among RPGs? Have we become 3Dakshun Codex (and some RTS/TBS) while I was away?:prosper:

Ocelot570

Educated
I was surprised that Prey actually did that well... I gave it a 2/4 because at least it had some interesting ideas. I think the Codex was a little over critical on TTON.

Deleted member 7219

As always, the results are interesting. Thanks felipepepe for organizing it every year.

If anyone is interested, here is the ResetEra thread.

There is much virtue signalling in that thread. People hating on the Codex based probably on a few shitposts here and there. They are welcome to their safe space though, delicate flowers need to protect themselves from all the meanie pants on the Internet.

GrainWetski

Arcane
LmtHNSa.jpg

2016 poll had been open for approximately two weeks, from 14 Jan, 'till 1 Feb. :hmmm:
Anyway, didn't vote, because I though I will have more time, and look at this mess. Prey? Waifumata? What? Dominions are p. cool, but why is it and Spellforce are among RPGs? Have we become 3Dakshun Codex (and some RTS/TBS) while I was away?:prosper:
Spellforce is way more of an RPG than the many action games that are on these these lists/in the GRPG section.

Lady_Error

█▓▒░ ░▒▓█
Patron
What does the result look like if you exclude games that have been played by less than 50% of the people?

15982.png

EDIT: Okay, there would be only two games on the list. :lol: DOS2 and TTON.

Last edited:

ArchAngel

Arcane
What a shit poll....should have been mane on the codex not in a place where every casual wanker can vote. Also don't rate them by average,rate them by points. It is retarded that a games with only few people voting with high scores are above games that a few hundred people voted for. Another thing is that only four games are actually an rpgs. Can't believe that this shit was posted on the codex!
:despair:
Well if can have 7 PoE reviews, we can as hell have more than one GotY poll!!

Rahdulan

Omnibus
Patron
I think new Dominions is really the only genuine surprise in that top 10 for me. Makes PREY's inclusion in the 2nd place a positively everyday occurrence.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom