Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by felipepepe, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Gepeu Savant Patron

Gepeu
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    May God be merciful to Elex-deniers.

• Yes Yes x 4
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Heresy Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Cowboy Moment Arcane

Cowboy Moment
    Parrots:
    Poll results seem reasonable, much butthurt in comments, all is as it should be.

Not so surprised by Prey's high position to be honest, game is basically a homage to SS2, and actually improves on it in several ways. What's not to like?

Thanks for taking the time to organize this felipepepe, you are a bro.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. AdolfSatan Educated

AdolfSatan
    Parrots:
    Great work, felipepepe. Gonna check to see what I might have missed of worth.
    Shame seeing how few were the people that played WoL, probably the best RPG from 2017.

^ Top  
  4. YES! Hi, I'm Roqua Dumbfuck

YES!
    Parrots:
    The results make perfect sense giving this community. I also love how the pokeman loving poll creator bronie actually said this was a weak year for true rpgs when it was factually one of the strongest this century. I also appreciate that Josh Sawyer purposefully called Battle Brothers a game and not an rpg game, as it certainly wasn't. Squad/army focused games with lite rpg elements where you go do one battle, return, rinse, repeat is not and never will be an rpg. I love XCOM and JA2 and silent storm, etc, and still have the cognitive ability to understand they belong in the strategy gaming forum. And since XCOMs 2 expansion was completely ignored by this poll, I highly the doubt the poll creator's pokeman addled mind is so compromised and devoid of reality it also knows it.

I have never played Prey because the couple times I asked about the rpg mechanics of it no one could answer the question. I can easily answer that question regarding SS2. I also think SS2 had very well done character development. So either this community is too stupid and ignorant to answer the simple question, or there is nothing to answer with. Either case seems reasonable giving this community and the poll creator, their ignorance, and tendency not to think nor know things but extreme love of and preference for console child games. And yes, I can and do like console games with rpg elements when they have competently done UIs that work for KB + M and heavy rpg elements such as ELEX.

Another year and the decline is reaching terminal velocity for this site. Neither the leadership nor the community know shit about dick. Without a purge and clear guidance this site may as well call itself childgamercentral. Hopefully Infinitron, who seems to have been given knew powers, will use them to bring this site back to the vastly more adult, knowledgeable, and actual rpg focused site it was a decade and a half ago.

• Funny x 5
    • Bad Spelling x 3
    • Brofist x 2
    • Whatever shit you posted didn't load x 2
    • Friendly x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • STOP! posting x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. V_K Arcane

V_K
    Parrots:
    I'm more surprised at how many votes it got, I thought me and ColCol were the only people here who actually played it.
    But it's certainly worth checking out, even for people who aren't roguelike fans (as am I, for example), it's much more of a top-down Ultima Underworld than anything else.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Bohrain Learned

Bohrain
    Parrots:
    D:OS 2's score was probably leveraged towards the better end because of the 4-point scale. I personally gave it the best score, but only because giving the same score to both it and Elex felt wrong when Elex's flaws felt more substantial.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  7. Sinatar Savant

Sinatar
    Parrots:
    Grimoire not making the top 10 is the most pleasant surprise of the results. That game is trash and it's nice to see that acknowledged around here.

• Agree x 5
    • Shit x 5
    • Funny x 4
    • butthurt x 3
    • Up Yours x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • incline x 1
    • decline x 1
    • Disgusting! x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Prey is FPS with lite RPG elements and Battle Brothers is fantasy Xcom. Both don't have a place on this list.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    The poll is shit,here you don't vote for the best rpg,you give score to games that came out this year. True poll should have only one vote per person and not scoring system.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Yes Yes x 2
    ^ Top  
  10. Monty Arcane

Monty
    Parrots:
    The new, more inclusive Dex

[​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 10
    ^ Top  
  11. Stainless Veteran Arcane

Stainless Veteran
    Parrots:
    [​IMG]
    2016 poll had been open for approximately two weeks, from 14 Jan, 'till 1 Feb. :hmmm:
    Anyway, didn't vote, because I though I will have more time, and look at this mess. Prey? Waifumata? What? Dominions are p. cool, but why is it and Spellforce are among RPGs? Have we become 3Dakshun Codex (and some RTS/TBS) while I was away?:prosper:

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    ^ Top  
  12. Ocelot570 Literate

Ocelot570
    Parrots:
    I was surprised that Prey actually did that well... I gave it a 2/4 because at least it had some interesting ideas. I think the Codex was a little over critical on TTON.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    There is much virtue signalling in that thread. People hating on the Codex based probably on a few shitposts here and there. They are welcome to their safe space though, delicate flowers need to protect themselves from all the meanie pants on the Internet.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    I loved this, the idiot doesn’t realise Google Adsense suggests you things based on your browsing history. He has revealed much - but he is on the right forum.

• Funny Funny x 13
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. GrainWetski Arcane

GrainWetski
    Parrots:
    Spellforce is way more of an RPG than the many action games that are on these these lists/in the GRPG section.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  16. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    What does the result look like if you exclude games that have been played by less than 50% of the people?

[​IMG]

EDIT: Okay, there would be only two games on the list. :lol: DOS2 and TTON.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
    • it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Fowyr Prestigious Gentleman Arcane

Fowyr
    Parrots:
    Jewish and Brazilian plot prevented me from voting for Grimoire. True story.
    :ibelieveincleve:

• Brofist x 4
    • Funny x 2
    • Rage x 2
    • Despair x 2
    • Informative x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  18. Lady Error Arcane Literally Hitler

Lady Error
    Parrots:
    We already had that and the result actually makes more sense:
    http://www.rpgcodex.net/forums/index.php?threads/rpg-of-the-year.119561/

1. DOS2
    2. ELEX
    3. Grimoire

• Brofist Brofist x 6
    • Agree Agree x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Yes! Yes! x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. MRY Prestigious Gentleman Wormwood Studios Developer

MRY
    Parrots:
    I'm puzzled by 62 people giving Torment 4/4 on a Codex managed survey. Clearly Darth Roxor voted early and often.

• Funny Funny x 17
    ^ Top  
  20. Monty Arcane

Monty
    Parrots:
    In a curious turn of events, 59 of them were traced back to the only vegan coffee shop in Michigan :shittydog:

• Funny Funny x 15
    • [citation needed] [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Kem0sabe Arcane

Kem0sabe
    Parrots:
    Persona 5 was the best rpg released this year... It's a shame that it being a console exclusive meant that a lot of codexers didn't play it.

• Agree x 5
    • Disagree x 2
    • decline x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. sser Arcane Cuck

sser
    Parrots:
    Well that settles it.

Battle Brothers stays on the RPG forum now. Finally. A place to call herrk-- :stabbedintheback:

• Funny Funny x 7
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Rage Rage x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Codex might be in decline but at least we are still not consoletards.

• Friendly Friendly x 2
    • Cheers!! Cheers!! x 1
    • decline decline x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. ArchAngel Magister

ArchAngel
    Parrots:
    Well if can have 7 PoE reviews, we can as hell have more than one GotY poll!!

• Prestigious Prestigious x 2
    • Yes Yes x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Rahdulan Arcane

Rahdulan
    Parrots:
    I think new Dominions is really the only genuine surprise in that top 10 for me. Makes PREY's inclusion in the 2nd place a positively everyday occurrence.

^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)