Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

Wok

Literate
Any explanation about the methodology used to choose the prior for the Bayesian Average, namely 2.45 prior rating and 43 prior number of votes?

hM0BHYy.png

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
And I wonder how many of these people that "enjoyed" it have actually finished the fucking game just btw :lol:

The Gamefaqs kiddies do track this information https://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/179840-divinity-original-sin-ii/stats
Users who have rated this game: 126 - Average Score: 4.31 Hearts out of 5
Users who have played this game: 115 - Percentage who have beaten this game: 49%
Users who have rated this game: 108 - Average Difficulty: Just Right-Tough

Of course a community where 64% think it's pretty demanding and 3% can play it on autopilot is going to skew this way.

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
you defending Elex as the second coming of Jesus Christ

yeah that was me

I reckon plenty of people who enjoy DOS2 would rather spend their time playing something they enjoy

And I wonder how many of these people that "enjoyed" it have actually finished the fucking game just btw :lol:
I am more curious how many people that "enjoyed" the game actually played it.
I am played and enjoyed it. And it's not THAT bad how some people claim. Yeah, issues with loot and bugs exist, but in general I liked it. And I am finished game. So what now?
I played it and finished it at 100%,the game is not total shit,it is finishable. That doesn't make it a masterpiece,it is mediocre game. I personally don't have problem of being number one,after all it shows that only select few can enjoy a true incline.

Fenix

Arcane
Vatnik
For me, there were two games:

DOS2 - while in scope and scale of content it is the biggest and best game, it is also "I'll better wait for year" kind of a game for me.
ELEX was a truly treasure - despite all flaws it is very cozy game, game where you want return to.

Durante

Learned
Patron
Shadorwun: Hong Kong
It's good to see that everyone is pissed off by these results, wouldn't have it any other way. That said, Divinity: OS2 is my GotY, and the rest of the list doesn't look unreasonable either.

Also my port got #1 on the port list so that's nice.

Every fucking encounter in Expeditions is the same. There are like two different mobs and that’s it, over and over and over, aside from a couple interesting fights like the beach landing in Northumbria. Once you figure out the right strategy, you just keep doing the same thing nearly every fight. I didn’t dislike Expeditions but the encounter design was terrible.
This was my primary issue with the previous Expeditions game. I had hoped they would improve on that (I haven't played Vikings yet).

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Hey felipepepe what is your goty choice?
Can't really say. Couldn't play most games due to my shitty laptop, it simply won't run Prey, D:OS2, ELEX, Nier, Nioh, SpellForce 3 or any other heavy game...

I played Battle Brothers and West of Loathing, but both got repetitive fast. Also really enjoyed the little I played of Nier and Nioh on a friend's PS4, but not sure how they hold up in the long run.

Honestly, Path of Exile was the GOTY for me. Those two expansions really elevated the game. Also having a blast with Caves of Qud.

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
So...how many people actually played The Surge? felipepepe ? There is a game that Souls-retards fans might grow fond of. I enjoyed it more than Nioh. There, said it. Bring it on, weaboos! :bunkertime:

As for D:OS2, I did my part downvoting it, but I knew the game would win since it manages to hold itself together for several hours before falling apart. By then people no longer cared.

As for Prey, I DEMAND that Endless Space 2 gets a shot at winning RPG GOTY!!!

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
So...how many people actually played The Surge? felipepepe ? There is a game that Souls-retards fans might grow fond of. I enjoyed it more than Nioh.
It ran like this on my PC:
C_8WPwjUQAAf6PJ.jpg

Could barely keep 20fps. I killed the first boss and refunded it. Felt really lame, especially the level design. :/

Well, playing at 640 × 480 and sub 20fps sure isnt helping that poor level design:lol:

fantadomat

Arcane
Edgy Vatnik Wumao
:negative: Sooooo we are not even on the RPGWatch scale any more,we are on resetera scale here. Just read their thread and they are surprised as i was that the codex have the same taste as them.

Let it sink in guys......sjws are bigger rpg snobs than the RPGCodex....yeah.
Screenshot_2018_1_28_RPG_Codex_s_GOTY_2017_Results.png

Screenshot_2018_1_28_RPG_Codex_s_GOTY_2017_Results_2.png

Screenshot_2018_1_28_RPG_Codex_s_GOTY_2017_Results_1.png

Screenshot_2018_1_28_RPG_Codex_s_GOTY_2017_Results_3.png

Last edited:

Eyestabber

Arcane
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
You may have disliked the industrial setting, which is understandable. The levels themselves are very well designed with a single bonfire and DS1 style connections and shortcuts. Much better than both DS2 and DS3 and miles above Nioh.

They took a gamble with the setting and it didn't pay off all that well, IMO. I think I "get" their dystopic, near future, "man vs machine" scenario where everything wants to kill you not because it fucking hates you but simply because you're interfering with whatever plans "they" are working on. But most people will simply see a sterile setting and bosses with zero personality. Oh well...

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
Such a terrible year(or years) for games of all genre, people keep blaming nostalgia for liking older games over these new cookie cutters but in the end we all know the real reason why is this happening, the new incoming devs just can't deliver in any department, be it gameplay, writing, story, or in the end they just don't give a shit. I keep seeing the people behind these games and all I see is pierced, rainbow dyed, fat motherfuckers that couldnt hold a conversation with a person to save their fucking lives. And let's stop blaming the budget behind these games, even with milions of dollars these games would still have the same sterile, hospital smell like they just got through a heart surgery.
Before blame people with different hair color and piercing you should understand that fat, hair color and piercing is not always a sign of SJW. You have very small chances to gather supporters in fight with SJW if you would act as their argument that their terrorist organization should exist.

dragonul09

Arcane
Edgy
Such a terrible year(or years) for games of all genre, people keep blaming nostalgia for liking older games over these new cookie cutters but in the end we all know the real reason why is this happening, the new incoming devs just can't deliver in any department, be it gameplay, writing, story, or in the end they just don't give a shit. I keep seeing the people behind these games and all I see is pierced, rainbow dyed, fat motherfuckers that couldnt hold a conversation with a person to save their fucking lives. And let's stop blaming the budget behind these games, even with milions of dollars these games would still have the same sterile, hospital smell like they just got through a heart surgery.
Before blame people with different hair color and piercing you should understand that fat, hair color and piercing is not always a sign of SJW. You have very small chances to gather supporters in fight with SJW if you would act as their argument that their terrorist organization should exist.

I don't need support fighting those degenerates, in the end all these freaks are going to turn on each other and eat themselves like a pack of jackals and you know what, I'll be there in the first row with a big smile on my face enjoying the show.

Deleted member 7219

It's good to see that everyone is pissed off by these results, wouldn't have it any other way. That said, Divinity: OS2 is my GotY, and the rest of the list doesn't look unreasonable either.

Also my port got #1 on the port list so that's nice.

Every fucking encounter in Expeditions is the same. There are like two different mobs and that’s it, over and over and over, aside from a couple interesting fights like the beach landing in Northumbria. Once you figure out the right strategy, you just keep doing the same thing nearly every fight. I didn’t dislike Expeditions but the encounter design was terrible.
This was my primary issue with the previous Expeditions game. I had hoped they would improve on that (I haven't played Vikings yet).

I always wondered if you were the real Durante or just someone else who had the same pseudonym. Great job with CS1.

For me, 2017 was the year where the world turned on its head and JRPGs became better than WRPGs. The west didn’t have really have much to show for itself, Torment was a disappointment, but XSEED released TitS 3 and CS1 which did everything perfectly.

I’m expecting Pillars 2 will rekindle my faith in western RPGs, but Obsidian and CDProjekt aside so much about western RPGs has gone the way of decline. I will add the caveat that I haven’t given the Divinity Original Sin series its fair due and maybe OS2 is as great as everyone claims it is.

frajaq

Erudite
I'm glad D:OS2 won, even if the equipment/loot system was ultra trash, like something made for ARPGs, it was still a good game with decent mechanics (controversial armor/magic armor stuff aside)

I played ELEX from start to finish because ashamedly I fell for the hype in that hilarious ELEX thread and honestly couldn't see the big deal by the end, maybe the devs are stuck in the old past since the Gothic games because it was pure unbalanced E U R O J A N K bullshit, although the jetpack was pretty fun

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Looking forward to the next year's poll when there will be a good story-fag RPG (HINT: it's POE2). This year's top games could have scrapped their stories entirely and still provide the same entertainment value.

Rinslin Merwind

Erudite
:negative: Sooooo we are not even on the RPGWatch scale any more,we are on resetera scale here. Just read their thread and they are surprised as i was that the codex have the same taste as them.

Let it sink in guys......sjws are bigger rpg snobs than the RPGCodex....yeah.
Who is this sink and what he need in my apartments? :lol: Jokes aside, there a nothing to be proud of being snob, since word snob means definitely not best qualities of human nature.

Zed

Codex Staff
Patron
Staff Member
Codex USB, 2014
Good job as always felipepepe, but the article isn't shitting nearly enough on Torment 2 and how the fuck it could flop so badly.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Good job as always felipepepe, but the article isn't shitting nearly enough on Torment 2 and how the fuck it could flop so badly.
The graph is humiliating enough, I think. Second most-played game, 60%+ negative scores and almost no 4/4. Clearly it's not a matter of popularity, it's a matter of quality.

CRD

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin 2
How on earth a game so dull like Prey, with 4 different enemies, the most boring tree system, a simplistic combat and a story that wouldn't even cut the first exam of writing sci-fi 101 can be second?

Is this codex for serious? Is this real life?

Villagkouras

Arcane
People take these polls way too seriously. I only check them to find games I overlooked. Who cares if a game I enjoyed or hated is first or last?

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom