Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by felipepepe, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Wok Literate

Wok
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    Any explanation about the methodology used to choose the prior for the Bayesian Average, namely 2.45 prior rating and 43 prior number of votes?

[​IMG]

• it is a mystery it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    The Gamefaqs kiddies do track this information https://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/179840-divinity-original-sin-ii/stats
    Users who have rated this game: 126 - Average Score: 4.31 Hearts out of 5
    Users who have played this game: 115 - Percentage who have beaten this game: 49%
    Users who have rated this game: 108 - Average Difficulty: Just Right-Tough

Of course a community where 64% think it's pretty demanding and 3% can play it on autopilot is going to skew this way.

• Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    I played it and finished it at 100%,the game is not total shit,it is finishable. That doesn't make it a masterpiece,it is mediocre game. I personally don't have problem of being number one,after all it shows that only select few can enjoy a true incline.

^ Top  
  4. Fenix Liturgist Vatnik

Fenix
    Parrots:
    For me, there were two games:

DOS2 - while in scope and scale of content it is the biggest and best game, it is also "I'll better wait for year" kind of a game for me.
    ELEX was a truly treasure - despite all flaws it is very cozy game, game where you want return to.

• retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Average of Averages and Median of Votes. It's on the right side of the sheet.

• Balanced Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    ^ Top  
  7. Durante Learned Patron

Durante
    Parrots:
    Shadorwun: Hong Kong
    It's good to see that everyone is pissed off by these results, wouldn't have it any other way. That said, Divinity: OS2 is my GotY, and the rest of the list doesn't look unreasonable either.

Also my port got #1 on the port list so that's nice.

This was my primary issue with the previous Expeditions game. I had hoped they would improve on that (I haven't played Vikings yet).

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Can't really say. Couldn't play most games due to my shitty laptop, it simply won't run Prey, D:OS2, ELEX, Nier, Nioh, SpellForce 3 or any other heavy game...

I played Battle Brothers and West of Loathing, but both got repetitive fast. Also really enjoyed the little I played of Nier and Nioh on a friend's PS4, but not sure how they hold up in the long run.

Honestly, Path of Exile was the GOTY for me. Those two expansions really elevated the game. Also having a blast with Caves of Qud.

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    So...how many people actually played The Surge? felipepepe ? There is a game that Souls-retards fans might grow fond of. I enjoyed it more than Nioh. There, said it. Bring it on, weaboos! :bunkertime:

As for D:OS2, I did my part downvoting it, but I knew the game would win since it manages to hold itself together for several hours before falling apart. By then people no longer cared.

As for Prey, I DEMAND that Endless Space 2 gets a shot at winning RPG GOTY!!!

• Funny x 4
    • Disagree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Arulan Learned

Arulan
    Parrots:
    As always, the results are interesting. Thanks felipepepe for organizing it every year.

If anyone is interested, here is the ResetEra thread.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    It ran like this on my PC:
    [​IMG]

Could barely keep 20fps. I killed the first boss and refunded it. Felt really lame, especially the level design. :/

• Despair x 5
    • Funny x 4
    • Brofist x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Salute x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. dragonul09 Arcane Edgy

dragonul09
    Parrots:
    Well, playing at 640 × 480 and sub 20fps sure isnt helping that poor level design:lol:

• Agree Agree x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    ^ Top  
  13. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    :negative: Sooooo we are not even on the RPGWatch scale any more,we are on resetera scale here. Just read their thread and they are surprised as i was that the codex have the same taste as them.

Let it sink in guys......sjws are bigger rpg snobs than the RPGCodex....yeah.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 28, 2018
    • Despair x 7
    • Funny x 2
    • incline x 2
    • Disgusting! x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Eyestabber Arcane Patron

Eyestabber
    Parrots:
    PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015
    You may have disliked the industrial setting, which is understandable. The levels themselves are very well designed with a single bonfire and DS1 style connections and shortcuts. Much better than both DS2 and DS3 and miles above Nioh.

They took a gamble with the setting and it didn't pay off all that well, IMO. I think I "get" their dystopic, near future, "man vs machine" scenario where everything wants to kill you not because it fucking hates you but simply because you're interfering with whatever plans "they" are working on. But most people will simply see a sterile setting and bosses with zero personality. Oh well...

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Rinslin Merwind Educated

Rinslin Merwind
    Parrots:
    Before blame people with different hair color and piercing you should understand that fat, hair color and piercing is not always a sign of SJW. You have very small chances to gather supporters in fight with SJW if you would act as their argument that their terrorist organization should exist.

• hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. dragonul09 Arcane Edgy

dragonul09
    Parrots:
    I don't need support fighting those degenerates, in the end all these freaks are going to turn on each other and eat themselves like a pack of jackals and you know what, I'll be there in the first row with a big smile on my face enjoying the show.

• Edgy Edgy x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    • Racist Racist x 1
    ^ Top  
  17. Rean Codex Grammar Police Patron

Rean
    Parrots:
    I always wondered if you were the real Durante or just someone else who had the same pseudonym. Great job with CS1.

For me, 2017 was the year where the world turned on its head and JRPGs became better than WRPGs. The west didn’t have really have much to show for itself, Torment was a disappointment, but XSEED released TitS 3 and CS1 which did everything perfectly.

I’m expecting Pillars 2 will rekindle my faith in western RPGs, but Obsidian and CDProjekt aside so much about western RPGs has gone the way of decline. I will add the caveat that I haven’t given the Divinity Original Sin series its fair due and maybe OS2 is as great as everyone claims it is.

^ Top  
  18. TheSentinel Cipher

TheSentinel
    Parrots:
    Must confess that I am disappointed that DIvOS2 won. That game was seriously shit. Even ELEX was better.

• Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. frajaq Educated

frajaq
    Parrots:
    I'm glad D:OS2 won, even if the equipment/loot system was ultra trash, like something made for ARPGs, it was still a good game with decent mechanics (controversial armor/magic armor stuff aside)

I played ELEX from start to finish because ashamedly I fell for the hype in that hilarious ELEX thread and honestly couldn't see the big deal by the end, maybe the devs are stuck in the old past since the Gothic games because it was pure unbalanced E U R O J A N K bullshit, although the jetpack was pretty fun

• Agree Agree x 3
    ^ Top  
  20. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    Looking forward to the next year's poll when there will be a good story-fag RPG (HINT: it's POE2). This year's top games could have scrapped their stories entirely and still provide the same entertainment value.

• Fabulously Optimistic Fabulously Optimistic x 2
    • Shit Shit x 2
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Excited! Excited! x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. Rinslin Merwind Educated

Rinslin Merwind
    Parrots:
    Who is this sink and what he need in my apartments? :lol: Jokes aside, there a nothing to be proud of being snob, since word snob means definitely not best qualities of human nature.

• WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 3
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    • retadred retadred x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Zed Codex Staff Patron

Zed
    Parrots:
    Codex USB, 2014
    Good job as always felipepepe, but the article isn't shitting nearly enough on Torment 2 and how the fuck it could flop so badly.

• Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  23. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    The graph is humiliating enough, I think. Second most-played game, 60%+ negative scores and almost no 4/4. Clearly it's not a matter of popularity, it's a matter of quality.

• Brofist Brofist x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
    ^ Top  
  24. CRD Learned Patron

CRD
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2
    How on earth a game so dull like Prey, with 4 different enemies, the most boring tree system, a simplistic combat and a story that wouldn't even cut the first exam of writing sci-fi 101 can be second?

Is this codex for serious? Is this real life?

• it is a mystery x 5
    • Brofist x 4
    • Despair x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • Prestigious x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Villagkouras Savant

Villagkouras
    Parrots:
    People take these polls way too seriously. I only check them to find games I overlooked. Who cares if a game I enjoyed or hated is first or last?

• Agree x 10
    • Friendly x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Disagree x 1
    • No x 1
    • it is a mystery x 1
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)