Official Codex Discord Server

1. Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.
    Dismiss Notice

Community RPG Codex GOTY 2017: Results & Cool Graphs

Discussion in 'RPG News & Content' started by felipepepe, Jan 28, 2018.

1. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    Click here and disable ads!
    [​IMG]

• Funny x 16
    • Brofist x 2
    • WTF am I reading x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Doggy x 1
    ^ Top  
  2. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    The Total points column which is Average Score x number of votes makes a lot more sense to me. Everything else is just bullshitting...

• Informative Informative x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  3. Jimmious Arcane

Jimmious
    Parrots:
    Roxor your popamole ELEX propaganda didn't work, get over it :smug:

• Funny x 25
    • Rage x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Friendly x 1
    ^ Top  
  4. dragonul09 Arcane Edgy

dragonul09
    Parrots:
    You know what a joke is, you defending Elex as the second coming of Jesus Christ and somehow you still have the audacity to call PoE and Dos 2 shit games, have some integrity and stop sucking Bjorns cock, you aint looking pretty with those chapped lips.

• Funny x 9
    • butthurt x 6
    • Salute x 4
    • it is a mystery x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  5. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    So Torment: Tides of Numenera is the #3 just because A LOT of people gave it 1/4s and 2/4s?

• Funny x 12
    • Balanced x 3
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • incline x 1
    • Yes x 1
    • Makes you think... x 1
    ^ Top  
  6. Kyl Von Kull Magister

Kyl Von Kull
    Parrots:
    I shoot for the stars but sometimes hit London
    Every fucking encounter in Expeditions is the same. There are like two different mobs and that’s it, over and over and over, aside from a couple interesting fights like the beach landing in Northumbria. Once you figure out the right strategy, you just keep doing the same thing nearly every fight. I didn’t dislike Expeditions but the encounter design was terrible.

There’s not much variety in Elex, but yeah, more than in Expeditions. And shitty encounter design sucks more in a turn based game because it takes forever to play out, even as you don’t need to do any thinking.

• Brofist Brofist x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
    ^ Top  
  7. SausageInYourFace Arcane Patron

SausageInYourFace
    Parrots:
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Bubbles In Memoria A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Haters just have a longer breath and people who enjoy their stuff don't care to engage them and move on with their lives.

I really enjoyed PoE and I have barely posted about it while some people still shitpost whole books worth of posts about how much it sucked several years after its release. Is it autism?

I reckon plenty of people who enjoy DOS2 would rather spend their time playing something they enjoy than hopelessly attempting to break some meming circlejerk.

omg posting seems so pointless now what am i doing with my life

• Agree x 9
    • Brofist x 4
    • it is a mystery x 2
    • Salute x 1
    • Slurp this person's delicious asshole x 1
    • :M x 1
    ^ Top  
  8. Roguey Arcane Sawyerite Sawyerist Sawyer's Bride No Fun Allowed

Roguey
    Parrots:
    Tides of Numenera got screwed by the move to 1-4. Considering that 2/4 got the most votes, I believe a lot of people would have ordinarily voted it 3/5 but couldn't, and 3/4 pushed it too far into positive. :M

• Agree x 3
    • Yes x 3
    • Balanced x 3
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • :M x 2
    • Despair x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • Fabulously Optimistic x 1
    ^ Top  
  9. DJOGamer PT Savant

DJOGamer PT
    Parrots:
    You are wrong mate. Most Codexer are storyfags and most old codexers are Troika/Black Isle fanboys (also storyfags). That's why actual fucking rpg like Deus Ex, Star Trail and Underworld are not in the top 10 and instead nteractive visual novel shit like Arcanum and PST are.

That said my list would be:
    -Divinity Original Sin 2
    -Grimoire
    -Nioh

Very surprised Battle Brothers got such a high rating after that bullshit they pulled.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 4
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Shit x 2
    • Agree x 1
    • incline x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Balanced x 1
    ^ Top  
  10. Azalin Arcane Patron

Azalin
    Parrots:
    I have to say I always enjoy the butthurt the results of these kind of polls create,carry on everyone:positive:

• Agree x 10
    • Funny x 3
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Salute x 2
    • Yes x 1
    • [citation needed] x 1
    • butthurt x 1
    ^ Top  
  11. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    Yet Wizardry 8 is on our Top 10 and Wizardry VII is #15.
    The Codex enjoys Wizardry-like games, I'm sure Grimoire would've performed better if only Cleve had released the manual and actually finished the game. :M

• Funny x 5
    • Brofist x 4
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 1
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Agree x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Shit x 1
    • Heresy x 1
    ^ Top  
  12. Fenix Liturgist Vatnik

Fenix
    Parrots:

So I see - this DOS2 is a bright blue supergiant - Polaris I assume, ELEX is a solid blue giant, and what I see - Torment: Tides of Numenera is a tiny yellow dwarf, but... what is this? I can't see anything! turned out Mass Effect Andromeda is a fucking black hole!

I already got used to it from last poll in 2017 - I remember there were games like Xenonauts. :prosper:

Last edited: Jan 31, 2018
    • Funny Funny x 2
    ^ Top  
  13. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    And Dominions 5 is better rpg than Elex,West of loathing,Nier and Spellforce 3 because 77 fans voted with 3&4?

• incline incline x 1
    • Yes Yes x 1
    • Despair Despair x 1
    ^ Top  
  14. Alienman Arcane Patron

Alienman
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2
    I'm not sure I think ELEX should have won, but Divinity Original Sin 2 was my biggest disappointment 2017. Kinda hard to see it score a number one place.

• Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 2
    • rolleyes rolleyes x 1
    • WTF am I reading WTF am I reading x 1
    ^ Top  
  15. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    yeah that was me

And I wonder how many of these people that "enjoyed" it have actually finished the fucking game just btw :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 7
    • Acknowledge this user's Agenda Acknowledge this user's Agenda x 3
    ^ Top  
  16. felipepepe Prestigious Gentleman Codex's Heretic Patron

felipepepe
    Parrots:
    77 is not a low number. West of Loathing had 105 votes and SpellForce 3 had 125.

^ Top  
  17. Urthor Learned Patron

Urthor
    Parrots:
    Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Shoutout to West of Loathing as the only RPG that's actually a proper RPG that the Codex zeitgeist likes in the entire top 10???

^ Top  
  18. Rinslin Merwind Educated

Rinslin Merwind
    Parrots:
    Elex fans acting like aggressive brain-dead zombies, who ignore flaws of their beloved game and spread disease of false propaganda. Game is fucking shit by many reasons. For me it was:
    -Weak character, despite being a fucking commander in most powerful fraction (I understand why character weak, but why the fuck he in charge, why devs not make him a novice soldier or something)
    -Stats is useless, zero reactivity
    -Weak enegry weapons, (it's fucking impossible for fauna to evolve in creatures which can stand a 100 shots from plasma riffle)
    -Game look and feels like MMO from early 2000s (except in 2000 there was interesting mmo and in some games animals attacked each other, not just player)
    -over9000 other reasons
    Any proof to backup such claim? I mean I love Deus Ex (first game) too, but calling Arcanum as visual novel it's like claim that first DoW was a first person shooter.
    Spellfforce 3 is not full RPG, it's strategy game with action RPG elements, although I liked game and it's better than fucking Elex.

• Agree x 6
    • Brofist x 2
    • Racist x 2
    • Bad Spelling x 2
    • Up Yours x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Rage x 1
    • retadred x 1
    • Shit x 1
    ^ Top  
  19. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    Tides of Numenera isn't in your Top Ten listed in the article...

Giving each game a rating value is pretty much bullshit when you have to vote for the best game of the year.

• Old Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  20. Darth Roxor Prestigious Gentleman Wielder of the Huegpenis

Darth Roxor
    Parrots:
    west of loathing is probably the only game on this list that isn't horrible in some way

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

• Brofist Brofist x 2
    • Goldfist Goldfist x 1
    ^ Top  
  21. fantadomat Dumbfuck! Dumbfuck Edgy

fantadomat
    Parrots:
    I am more curious how many people that "enjoyed" the game actually played it.

• Shit Shit x 3
    • Brofist Brofist x 2
    • hopw roewur ne hopw roewur ne x 1
    ^ Top  
  22. Infinitron I post news Patron

Infinitron
    Parrots:
    Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
    Read the spreadsheet, it has 1244 points which would put it in the Top 3 by your criteria.

• incline incline x 1
    ^ Top  
  23. dragonul09 Arcane Edgy

dragonul09
    Parrots:
    Such a terrible year(or years) for games of all genre, people keep blaming nostalgia for liking older games over these new cookie cutters but in the end we all know the real reason why is this happening, the new incoming devs just can't deliver in any department, be it gameplay, writing, story, or in the end they just don't give a shit. I keep seeing the people behind these games and all I see is pierced, rainbow dyed, fat motherfuckers that couldnt hold a conversation with a person to save their fucking lives. And let's stop blaming the budget behind these games, even with milions of dollars these games would still have the same sterile, hospital smell like they just got through a heart surgery.

• Agree x 13
    • Prestigious x 2
    • Brofist x 1
    • Edgy x 1
    • Despair x 1
    • Racist x 1
    • Old x 1
    ^ Top  
  24. Rinslin Merwind Educated

Rinslin Merwind
    Parrots:
    I am played and enjoyed it. And it's not THAT bad how some people claim. Yeah, issues with loot and bugs exist, but in general I liked it. And I am finished game. So what now?

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 5
    • Brofist Brofist x 1
    ^ Top  
  25. Morkar illiterate

Morkar
    Parrots:
    "My" criteria - which isn't actually mine - is referentcing to the top ten listed in the article. The article already made a distinction which I'm ok with. But using it as the only criteria is useless.
    You might as well give everybody 1 voice and ask him which game should be rpg of the year. This would be equally good without giving it some pretence of science or fairness.

You could get better results by taking out every game that has a higher % of 1-2 ratings than 3-4 ratings. Just going by the numbers isn't really representative.

• Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
    ^ Top  

(buying stuff via the above buttons helps us pay the hosting bills, thanks!)