Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Editorial RPG Codex Gamescom Report, Part 3: A Misanthrope's Delight

Crooked Bee

(no longer) a wide-wandering bee
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Codex 2016 - The Age of Grimoire MCA Serpent in the Staglands Dead State Divinity: Original Sin Project: Eternity Torment: Tides of Numenera Wasteland 2 Shadorwun: Hong Kong Divinity: Original Sin 2 BattleTech Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire
Tags: Kai Fiebig

There are many ways in which one can attend a convention like this year's Gamescom in Cologne. One may get hyped and be a fan and spend most of the day in super long queues just to play a bit of the shown-off game(s). One may hate the entire thing and complain about the queues and say "never again." Or one may forgo all the queues, enter the convention through the business entrance, and talk to the devs about their game as well as about how the whole thing sucks. Combine the latter two, add some poignant pictorial commentary, and you get our very own agent Darth Roxor's report, now in Part 3, or, "How and Why I Enjoyed Gamescom 2014." Have a couple of tidbits:

After attending Daedalic's adventure game previews, I had a quick chat with their senior producer, Kai Fiebig. When he asked whether I was enjoying my stay at Gamescom, I replied that I had only just arrived. To which he smirked and said, “well, then you’re lucky”. At that point, I didn’t fully realise what he meant - the revelation would only hit me across the head with a club the next day. Before the Blackguards 2 presentation began, I talked with him a bit about the general feedback given by players of the original Blackguards. I already mentioned what Kai considered “good feedback” in Part 1 of my report, but it was also rather refreshing to hear him launch into a quasi-rant about casual gamers. Most developers just don’t bother commenting on people who hate their games for stupid reasons like “whoa, itz too hard!!”, but Kai seemed eager to tell me just how sour it made him to go through various internet forums and see people whining about mechanics that are clearly explained, not using all the tools they have at their disposal, etc. Before I left, he told me that while they are doing some streamlining for Blackguards 2, he still fully expects people to rise in uproar again about the absence of handholding and the tough difficulty. I really liked how his facial expression constantly shifted into that trademark Disgusted Clint Eastwood look when he talked about all this. [...]

I didn’t take part in any of those “hands-on” showcases, nor did I wait around for hours straight to watch the big presentations. Mostly because this is not an activity that I would consider:

a) Fun.
b) Conducive to proper information gathering.
c) An efficient use of my time, both free and “professional”.
d) Adhering to the basic principles of human dignity.

My only regret is that I didn’t actually get to play Pillars of Eternity. Maybe there was a communication error at some point, but I thought the presentation of it that I attended later was supposed to be hands-on, which was another reason why I didn’t bother standing around in those abysmal queues. But it wasn’t, so it wasn't, and so I was forced to nitpick its pseudo-paladins instead of taking apart its systems. [...]

At 3 pm I returned to Hall 4 to get ready for Hellraid, where I ran into Daedalic’s Kai Fiebig and Johannes Kiel, who had gone for a smoke. This time I had a longer conversation with them, about various topics but mostly about Gamescom itself. When I mentioned that I’d been to the Entertainment Area, they told me how glad they were that they didn’t have to set foot in that hive of scum and villainy. Kai explained that he was looking forward to the end of the convention, because the job of running the presentations is sheer hell. Imagine sitting in the same place for ten hours straight, repeating the same spiel again and again, and in a non-native language to boot. He said that he was glad that I'd found them, because he'd forgotten to mention one aspect of Blackguards 2 on the previous day. After hearing about that, I talked with them a bit about the gaming industry as a whole, and about some of the games that Kai had worked on in the past. When I brought up one of the games that I had seen at Gamescom, Kai told me how important it is to never trust anyone who claims he wants to deliver a game “made by the same developers as [classic]!”. He said that he hears that very often, but usually realizes after some checking around that these “same developers” who were the main driving force behind the [classic] are currently stationed in three different studios around the globe.​

Be sure to read the full report, and also take a look at the pictures. If anything, do have a look at the comic that Roxor took the effort to translate into English. ; )

VonVentrue

Cipher
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2
Reading through all your scribbles professionally written reports turned out to be a thoroughly enjoyable activity, so allow me to applaud you on a job well done.
That's a wonderful artbook you got from Daedalic I might add, wondering whether they have any plans for an international release.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Not naming names?

It was concerning Grey Goo. I told them I'd just returned from watching a stream of it, saying that it's made by "people who used to make Command and Conquer", to which Fiebig said, "you know, there are three main people who were truly behind Command and Conquer, I know them personally, and I also know that all of them are currently in different places, doing different things".

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
That line about "not having anything else to do in Cologne" is a lie. The city's beautiful, and I always try to have a stop there on train journeys (the terminal is right next to the Dom). Southbound trains run along the Rhine for a couple of hours, one of the prettiest routes in Germany.

Now Bonn, there's a shithole.

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
That line about "not having anything else to do in Cologne" is a lie.

My original plan was to at least go check out the cathedral.

But when I watched it from the train and saw that it's got SCAFFOLDINGS ALL OVER IT, I had a violent "NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE" reaction, induced by my earlier Munich experiences.

Southbound trains run along the Rhine for a couple of hours, one of the prettiest routes in Germany.

I know, when I was travelling to Bonn from Munich, the train was going through Bingen. And while the entirety of the trip I was reading a book I had, I couldn't take my eyes off the fucking Landschaften around that place the entire time.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
I was at an academic summit in Bingen a while ago, prettiest landscape in Germany IMHO. Suprisingly high amount of poor people in the town though, probably because Rhine tourism has gone out of fashion.

Last edited:

Cowboy Moment

Arcane
Finally someone who understands what a gaming convention is all about and includes a photo of his acquired swag. You have a bright future in the field of games journalism, young man.

VioletShadow

Sensate
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Shadorwun: Hong Kong
This was such an entertaining read Darth Roxor! "Nomadic tribes" :lol:
But yeah, no way I'm ever going to one of those conventions :decline: although I still think you might as well have snatched yourself a cosplayer or something.
:codexisforindividualswithgenderidentityissues:

catfood

AGAIN
You didn't even get laid at least?

With what, the cosplayers? They are prob mostly trannies anyway.
fox_13_md.gif

:troll:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Finally someone who understands what a gaming convention is all about and includes a photo of his acquired swag. You have a bright future in the field of games journalism, young man.

Also, I was much disappoint when before the Hellraid presentation I was offered something to drink, and they only had coca-cola, mirinda and 7up. No Mtn Dew? FFS

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Meanwhile, this year's Brazil Game Show won't have Microsoft, Nintendo nor many big companies like Riot, because the event organizers are asking for insane prices on booths and the companies plain said "you need us more than we need you". :salute:

ghostdog

Arcane
Patron
Holy shit dude, you went to that place alone ? You always need someone to watch your back in dangerous foreign assignments.
:australia:

ALSO :

Where are the photos of you and the devs ? Where are the photos of the lousy cosplayers ? Where are the photos of the hot booth girls ?

:outrage:

Darth Roxor

Royal Dongsmith
Staff Member
Holy shit dude, you went to that place alone ? You always need someone to watch your back in dangerous foreign assignments.

I was operating under Alpha Protocol

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom