Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Preview RPG Codex Gamescom Report, Part 1: Tacticool Goodness and Adventures Galore

set

Cipher
Another thing that I liked about the game was its army-leveling system. Units gain experience in combat, sure, but they have to get it themselves by going down and dirty. So, if you let your hero do all the fighting, you will end up with a real badass hero, but his army will be a bunch of wimps and pushovers, and while apparently this is kind of viable, an approach like that is not exactly recommended. And finally, the units don’t simply level-up with a ding! but need to be taken to a trainer, who is obviously an entrepreneurial industrialist and doesn’t work for free.

Finally! Historically there was always a tension for officers to either choose to lead from the front or remain behind the lines acting in a purely tactical capacity. Seeing this implemented is a very good sign.

Have you ever played Fire Emblem? Any of them?

Basically, it sounds great on paper, but all it does is force you to find a couple of the optimal soldiers in your party and train them up along with your main character. At the end of the day, 90% of the characters go unused and even if you like characters X,Y,Z they won't see much action, especially if character W fulfills a role better than all three together.

It just sounds like pointless tedium; a non-progression as far as Blackguards is concerned. I didn't get very far in the first game before giving up out of boredome, so maybe it's just not the series for me.

oscar

Arcane
Comparing Mark of Chaos to Dark Omen... I've seen it before, but it's just so wrong.

The Medieval II mod 'Call of Warhammer' is definitely worth a spin. Some of the campaigns are also very tough (the AI seemed quite solid by TW standards thankfully). I think half the reason it works so well is that they ripped off a lot of graphics from Mark of Chaos but the gameplay is a lot better. So I guess MoC came to some use (in the hands of Russian modders) after all.

Shannow

Waster of Time
Comparing Mark of Chaos to Dark Omen... I've seen it before, but it's just so wrong.

The Medieval II mod 'Call of Warhammer' is definitely worth a spin. Some of the campaigns are also very tough (the AI seemed quite solid by TW standards thankfully). I think half the reason it works so well is that they ripped off a lot of graphics from Mark of Chaos but the gameplay is a lot better. So I guess MoC came to some use (in the hands of Russian modders) after all.
Couldn't get far in that mod. A scripted "Campaign" and TW just don't click for me. The translation was all over the place and lots of the art didn't fit. Especially the UI which literally didn't fit size wise. But I tried it a few years ago so at least translation and UI might have improved now. I was meaning to give it another try...soonish. But evenso, I doubt I'll get many Dark Omen flashbacks from this.
For me DO is mainly taking on the role of a badass merc commander, managing my army and the rulesystem. None of which I expect/know CoW to provide...*shrug*

Since most people here are probably (hopefully) interested in Blackguards 2
Considering that Blackguards 1 was vapid dogshitpretty good, I sincerely doubt itbelieve you may be right. Though I must say, I personally didn't like it.
Fixed that for ya. No need to thank me.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom