Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Game of the Year 2015 - VOTING HAS BEGUN [AUTISM ALERT]

Mortmal

Arcane
Yeah .. Codex people are evul.:fight:
Despite the terrible story , Combat system was one of the worse parts of Fallout 3. (+ Game engine and voice acting)
Fallout 4 story, is facepalm worth too.

Theldaran

Liturgist
People enjoyed fallout for those reasons yes and especially because you can play as a selfish bastard, something the average codex can identify himself. Thus the rage on bethesda version of fallout 3 not cause its popamole instead of turn based, no one really care of that, but because it forces you into the role of a goody two shoes wastelander.
I am a Lawful Good modern day paladin IRL too. With celibacy and all. If you keep going down that path, I shall have to turn you into cinders with my Helm of Brilliance.

I don't think it's a bad mosou, the formula is very difficult to fuck up.
I disagree. Even Koei's Warriors series is full of ups and downs. It's too easy to become repetitive and dull, so missions must be interesting and enemy officers must be challenging & memmorable.

Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete is one of the best offering of this kind (way better than DW7 and 6), with tons of optional objectives, alternate history paths and secret weapons to get. And Lu Bu is still fucking Lu Bu. Sengoku Basara 3 was also solid in this regard, with characters playing very differently. But One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3, for example, had some great characters & movesets, but the missions were dull as hell. Samurai Warriors 4-II, on the other hand, was extremely disappointing all-around.

Unless the difficulty & complexity ramps up later, Dragon Quest Heroes seems to be too simple and childish. Two hours in and it's still throwing minuscule areas with one very simple objective an no challenge at all.

Yep.

I heard the post-game is difficult, but that difficulty mostly comes from tough superbosses rather than interesting missions. I feel like they tried to transplant too much of the DQ formula, and the end result is just a really easy hack and slash. You can't even replay missions over again, once you beat them the first time is just becomes a killing zone with infinite monster respawns.

Shame, too, because they could've done some really interesting things with the map system. Randomly generated maps like in DQ9 would work pretty well, I think.

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Best Remaster / Translation / Console Port
Agarest: Generations of War 2
Avernum II: Crystal Souls
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Editon
Fairy Fencer F
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD
Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning Returns
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 (and 2 & 3)
Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky SC
Mugen Souls
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Final Cut
Toukiden: Kiwami
Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
Way of the Samurai 4
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

The Quest

It's not from scratch, but it is certainly more than just a straight port. :)
It has completely new graphics and user interface (optimized for the PC), we looked over and corrected all the text in the game and fixed some other problems too.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/428880/discussions/0/494632768633323860/

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Best Remaster / Translation / Console Port
Agarest: Generations of War 2
Avernum II: Crystal Souls
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Editon
Fairy Fencer F
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD
Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning Returns
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 (and 2 & 3)
Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky SC
Mugen Souls
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Final Cut
Toukiden: Kiwami
Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
Way of the Samurai 4
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Dungeon Lords Steam Edition

The difference is that this version is even further reworked, fixed and improved.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/271760/discussions/0/487877107151601908/#c487877107152020220

laclongquan

Arcane
What get me is that many Square game actually got PC version already, admittedly in moonrune. They made to sell in China and chinese-speaking communities in Asia, most of which are pretty wealthy. The english version afterward, mostly on consoles, are for exports. Why cant they englishsify those moonrune version?

himmy

Arcane
I fully expect the Codex top 10 list to be similar to this one: http://kotaku.com/faheys-top-10-games-of-2015-1749761792

Fahey's Top 10 Games Of 2015

Mike Fahey

Today 12:00pm
Filed to: YEAR IN REVIEW

kzwfrlz4oiwbbic3g1hv.gif

It’s late December with just days to go until the clock strikes the new year, which makes it the perfect time for Kotaku’s various editors to list their favorite games of 2015. I’ll go first, for I have no fear.

Well, I have a little fear. If you’ve kept track of my lists from 2012, 2013 and2014, you know my tastes are a bit eclectic. There’s generally something LEGO, some sort of MMO, a mobile game or two and at least one game starring a virtual Japanese singing sensation.

(Looks over his list)

Check, check, check and check. My oddness is actually quite predictable. Oh well. Here we go.

LEGO Dimensions
yyil72vjh83ba915ehak.jpg

There are two things I enjoy doing more than nearly anything else—building LEGO things and playing video games. LEGO Dimensions is both of those things. It also encompasses my love of spending too much money on toys. It’s the total package. Well, once you buy all of it.

I’ve been a toys-meet-games enthusiast since the original Skylanders launched, but both that series and Disney Infinity were always lacking one important element to a good toy—playability. I love tiny colorful statues as much as the next eccentric beardo, but give me a toy I can pose and play with that also acts as a video game character, and I am in heaven.

Read my full LEGO Dimensions review here.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Just when I thought I would never lose myself in a massively multiplayer online role-playing game again, along comes Final Fantasy XIV’s Heavensward expansion. Catching up on the story missions leading up to the expansion content finally gave me a chance to dive deep into the rejuvenated MMO, and I’ve been smitten ever since. The music, the story, the art—it really is one of the best Final Fantasy games—even our resident expert agrees.

And that’s before Heavensward was even released. It brought more stories, exciting new character professions (proud Machinist here), and some of the most gorgeous music the series has ever produced.

What I love the best about the game is how it continues to make the player the hero of the story. My character feels like one of the most important characters in the game, instead of just some random soldier. Maybe one day Back Front will make it into a Dissidia game.

Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX

The 3DS needs more rhythm games. I know it has quite a few—Theatrhythm, Harmo Knight, that other one—but with its handy touch screen and double screens I should be swimming in virtual idols with giant heads. Thanks to the fine folks at Sega (sorry about calling you a shit farm back in 2007), for several months in 2015 I was.

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX is an adorable game. Better yet, it’s an adorable game that will kick your ass at higher difficulty levels. I’ve watched videos of the game on super hard, because if I try to play it at that level myself I’ll have a heart attack.

Take away all of that stress and you’ve got a game I keep going back to again and again.

Check out my full review of Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX here.

IA/VT Colorful

Thank goodness for the region-free PlayStation Vita. In a year gleefully packed with rhythm games—the one above this one, Superbeat Xonic from the DJMax folks, a re-release of PaRappa the Rapper 2 and two band games—one perfect game didn’t make it stateside. Producer Kenichiro Takaki of Senran Kagura (boob ninja) infamy gave rhythm game fans a heads up that this gem, featuring popular Japanese vocaloid (computer singing dealio) IA, would not be making it to the U.S., urging everyone to import it. So I did, and I have no regrets.

IA/VT is challenging, feature-packed and the music is exquisite. Richard Eisenbeis called it one of the best Japan-only games of 2015. I call it one of the best games in my home of 2015.

Guitar Hero Live (TV)
b3mud61mm3nuoqrhwd5n.jpg

Hahaha, the way the game reacts to you playing, with the band on stage getting increasingly more desperate. Priceless! Hilarious! Not the Guitar Hero Live that’s on my games of the year list though. The offline mode is fun while it lasts, but it doesn’t last long.

The bit I love is the Guitar Hero TV portion. That’s the bit where they’ve basically got music video stations running 24/7, only these are music videos you can play competitively online against other people. At any moment I can strap on my plastic guitar, hop into one of the regularly-updated channels and start playing along. If I’m in the mood for a particular song I can use some of the credits I’ve earned through online play to pick and choose, but it’s much more fun just to see what’s popping up next.

Guitar Hero TV has quickly become my favorite way to put the kids to sleep. Well done, FreeStyle Games. Now bring back DJ Hero.

Check out my full review of Guitar Hero Live here.

Transformers: Devastation
qbxmstcfgkapui1eudjw.jpg

After years of games that got “close enough”, I finally got the classic Transformers game I always wanted. Platinum Games’ first stab at the series is pretty short and the gear management stuff is utter nonsense, but none of that matters when I am Optimus Prime or Bumblebee battling my way through the generic City to foil Megatron’s latest diabolical scheme. If Activision doesn’t let them do a follow-up then the Decepticons have already won.

Check out my full Transformers: Devastation review here.

Gems Of War
cclq9yolgpux6k6sjnpy.jpg

I know Gems of War actually came out in late 2014, but I only started playing it last month, so it totally counts, especially since I started playing it last month and haven’t stopped.

Every time I write about a new Puzzle Quest game I bemoan the loss of the original. I missed its ongoing storylines, the deep strategy, tons of special powers to activate to manipulate the board and destroy your enemies. The series isn’t what it used to be. Gems of War, developed by Puzzle Quest originator Infinite Interactive, is totally what Puzzle Quest used to be.

It is a free-to-play game for IOS, Android and Steam, but it’s not free-to-be-obnoxious about it. Players use gold earned in-game to unlock new kingdoms and storylines. Rather than a single character who unlocks new skills as he or she levels, the player gathers a horde of creatures, each with their own particular set of skills, organized into teams.

a85vvrrrxba3uh0aoeik.jpg

It’s not quite the same thing, but close enough to feel like what Puzzle Questwould have gradually evolved into had it not gone completely insane.

Just be warned—Gems of War is very hard to put down. While writing this I stopped to grab a screenshot and wound up playing for 30 minutes.

Ori And The Blind Forest
eb9xn7zpbcgorqicrl6g.jpg

I didn’t play very much Ori and the Blind Forest, but this isn’t just a list of the favorite games I’ve played—it’s a list of my favorite games period. And while I didn’t control much of Moon Studios’ gorgeous action platformer, I watched it for hours and hours.

Ori makes the list because of my wife. For several months this year, Ori and the Blind Forest was her white whale. She was obsessed with completing the game, often to the detriment of herself and others. The children would shout “No Ori and the Blind Forest!” as she continued her endless attempts to navigate a massive flooding tree—the same one she had been throwing herself against the night before.

I’d never seen her so dedicated to a piece of interactive entertainment. She quitWorld of Warcraft after a half hour because she couldn’t catch a speedy dinosaur in one of the troll starter quests, yet here she was restarting again and again, never losing hope.

Eventually she finished the game, but only after finding every single power-up scattered throughout Ori’s world. Not a week has gone by since that she hasn’t asked me about the upcoming Definitive Edition. I definitely got my $20 worth out of this one.

Read our full review of Ori and the Blind Forest here.

Alto’s Adventure
p1qo8amxcqmoazs55wy1.png

Whenever I get too stressed out, Alto’s Adventure is there. Nothing calms and soothes me like developer Moon’s premium endless runner. A lone figure races down a mountainside, through cities and wooded forests and lonely hills. Beautiful music plays, lightning crackles across the sky as rain begins to fall. I don’t even have to play it—I close my eyes and it’s right there.

I can’t pick up my phone without my finger gravitating towards its icon. When the new Apple TV launched earlier this year I got to experience Alto on the big screen for the first time, and suddenly the major purchase didn’t feel quite so frivolous.

Check my write up of Alto’s Adventure here.

Fallout 4
nxtfufxnnluzlqokbiy9.png

See? I’m not a total weirdo.

I was not expecting to love Fallout 4 as much as I did. I was burnt out on open-world games. I had convinced myself I had no time for any of that nonsense, and what time I did have would be better spent on shorter, easier to put down and pick up titles. Fallout 4 proved me wrong.

For a couple of weeks in November, my every waking hour not spent working or watching my children (maybe some of the latter hours as well) was spent traversing the Boston wastelands, searching for secrets, battling mutants and trying to make Piper fall in love with my character.

Fallout 4 is the kind of game I hope holds up well enough to play it with my kids ten years from now, when they’re old enough to fully appreciate the post-apocalypse.

Read our full Fallout 4 review here.

So, how does my list compare to yours? If I’ve done these calculations correctly, it should be exactly the same. Mind you I am not good at calculations, so a few minor deviations are expected. Fingers crossed!

Last edited:

Kz3r0

Arcane
I fully expect the Codex top 10 list to be similar to this one: http://kotaku.com/faheys-top-10-games-of-2015-1749761792

Fahey's Top 10 Games Of 2015

Mike Fahey

Today 12:00pm
Filed to: YEAR IN REVIEW

kzwfrlz4oiwbbic3g1hv.gif

It’s late December with just days to go until the clock strikes the new year, which makes it the perfect time for Kotaku’s various editors to list their favorite games of 2015. I’ll go first, for I have no fear.

Well, I have a little fear. If you’ve kept track of my lists from 2012, 2013 and2014, you know my tastes are a bit eclectic. There’s generally something LEGO, some sort of MMO, a mobile game or two and at least one game starring a virtual Japanese singing sensation.

(Looks over his list)

Check, check, check and check. My oddness is actually quite predictable. Oh well. Here we go.

LEGO Dimensions
yyil72vjh83ba915ehak.jpg

There are two things I enjoy doing more than nearly anything else—building LEGO things and playing video games. LEGO Dimensions is both of those things. It also encompasses my love of spending too much money on toys. It’s the total package. Well, once you buy all of it.

I’ve been a toys-meet-games enthusiast since the original Skylanders launched, but both that series and Disney Infinity were always lacking one important element to a good toy—playability. I love tiny colorful statues as much as the next eccentric beardo, but give me a toy I can pose and play with that also acts as a video game character, and I am in heaven.

Read my full LEGO Dimensions review here.

Final Fantasy XIV: Heavensward

Just when I thought I would never lose myself in a massively multiplayer online role-playing game again, along comes Final Fantasy XIV’s Heavensward expansion. Catching up on the story missions leading up to the expansion content finally gave me a chance to dive deep into the rejuvenated MMO, and I’ve been smitten ever since. The music, the story, the art—it really is one of the best Final Fantasy games—even our resident expert agrees.

And that’s before Heavensward was even released. It brought more stories, exciting new character professions (proud Machinist here), and some of the most gorgeous music the series has ever produced.

What I love the best about the game is how it continues to make the player the hero of the story. My character feels like one of the most important characters in the game, instead of just some random soldier. Maybe one day Back Front will make it into a Dissidia game.

Hatsune Miku Project Mirai DX

The 3DS needs more rhythm games. I know it has quite a few—Theatrhythm, Harmo Knight, that other one—but with its handy touch screen and double screens I should be swimming in virtual idols with giant heads. Thanks to the fine folks at Sega (sorry about calling you a shit farm back in 2007), for several months in 2015 I was.

Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX is an adorable game. Better yet, it’s an adorable game that will kick your ass at higher difficulty levels. I’ve watched videos of the game on super hard, because if I try to play it at that level myself I’ll have a heart attack.

Take away all of that stress and you’ve got a game I keep going back to again and again.

Check out my full review of Hatsune Miku: Project Mirai DX here.

IA/VT Colorful

Thank goodness for the region-free PlayStation Vita. In a year gleefully packed with rhythm games—the one above this one, Superbeat Xonic from the DJMax folks, a re-release of PaRappa the Rapper 2 and two band games—one perfect game didn’t make it stateside. Producer Kenichiro Takaki of Senran Kagura (boob ninja) infamy gave rhythm game fans a heads up that this gem, featuring popular Japanese vocaloid (computer singing dealio) IA, would not be making it to the U.S., urging everyone to import it. So I did, and I have no regrets.

IA/VT is challenging, feature-packed and the music is exquisite. Richard Eisenbeis called it one of the best Japan-only games of 2015. I call it one of the best games in my home of 2015.

Guitar Hero Live (TV)
b3mud61mm3nuoqrhwd5n.jpg

Hahaha, the way the game reacts to you playing, with the band on stage getting increasingly more desperate. Priceless! Hilarious! Not the Guitar Hero Live that’s on my games of the year list though. The offline mode is fun while it lasts, but it doesn’t last long.

The bit I love is the Guitar Hero TV portion. That’s the bit where they’ve basically got music video stations running 24/7, only these are music videos you can play competitively online against other people. At any moment I can strap on my plastic guitar, hop into one of the regularly-updated channels and start playing along. If I’m in the mood for a particular song I can use some of the credits I’ve earned through online play to pick and choose, but it’s much more fun just to see what’s popping up next.

Guitar Hero TV has quickly become my favorite way to put the kids to sleep. Well done, FreeStyle Games. Now bring back DJ Hero.

Check out my full review of Guitar Hero Live here.

Transformers: Devastation
qbxmstcfgkapui1eudjw.jpg

After years of games that got “close enough”, I finally got the classic Transformers game I always wanted. Platinum Games’ first stab at the series is pretty short and the gear management stuff is utter nonsense, but none of that matters when I am Optimus Prime or Bumblebee battling my way through the generic City to foil Megatron’s latest diabolical scheme. If Activision doesn’t let them do a follow-up then the Decepticons have already won.

Check out my full Transformers: Devastation review here.

Gems Of War
cclq9yolgpux6k6sjnpy.jpg

I know Gems of War actually came out in late 2014, but I only started playing it last month, so it totally counts, especially since I started playing it last month and haven’t stopped.

Every time I write about a new Puzzle Quest game I bemoan the loss of the original. I missed its ongoing storylines, the deep strategy, tons of special powers to activate to manipulate the board and destroy your enemies. The series isn’t what it used to be. Gems of War, developed by Puzzle Quest originator Infinite Interactive, is totally what Puzzle Quest used to be.

It is a free-to-play game for IOS, Android and Steam, but it’s not free-to-be-obnoxious about it. Players use gold earned in-game to unlock new kingdoms and storylines. Rather than a single character who unlocks new skills as he or she levels, the player gathers a horde of creatures, each with their own particular set of skills, organized into teams.

a85vvrrrxba3uh0aoeik.jpg

It’s not quite the same thing, but close enough to feel like what Puzzle Questwould have gradually evolved into had it not gone completely insane.

Just be warned—Gems of War is very hard to put down. While writing this I stopped to grab a screenshot and wound up playing for 30 minutes.

Ori And The Blind Forest
eb9xn7zpbcgorqicrl6g.jpg

I didn’t play very much Ori and the Blind Forest, but this isn’t just a list of the favorite games I’ve played—it’s a list of my favorite games period. And while I didn’t control much of Moon Studios’ gorgeous action platformer, I watched it for hours and hours.

Ori makes the list because of my wife. For several months this year, Ori and the Blind Forest was her white whale. She was obsessed with completing the game, often to the detriment of herself and others. The children would shout “No Ori and the Blind Forest!” as she continued her endless attempts to navigate a massive flooding tree—the same one she had been throwing herself against the night before.

I’d never seen her so dedicated to a piece of interactive entertainment. She quitWorld of Warcraft after a half hour because she couldn’t catch a speedy dinosaur in one of the troll starter quests, yet here she was restarting again and again, never losing hope.

Eventually she finished the game, but only after finding every single power-up scattered throughout Ori’s world. Not a week has gone by since that she hasn’t asked me about the upcoming Definitive Edition. I definitely got my $20 worth out of this one.

Read our full review of Ori and the Blind Forest here.

Alto’s Adventure
p1qo8amxcqmoazs55wy1.png

Whenever I get too stressed out, Alto’s Adventure is there. Nothing calms and soothes me like developer Moon’s premium endless runner. A lone figure races down a mountainside, through cities and wooded forests and lonely hills. Beautiful music plays, lightning crackles across the sky as rain begins to fall. I don’t even have to play it—I close my eyes and it’s right there.

I can’t pick up my phone without my finger gravitating towards its icon. When the new Apple TV launched earlier this year I got to experience Alto on the big screen for the first time, and suddenly the major purchase didn’t feel quite so frivolous.

Check my write up of Alto’s Adventure here.

Fallout 4
nxtfufxnnluzlqokbiy9.png

See? I’m not a total weirdo.

I was not expecting to love Fallout 4 as much as I did. I was burnt out on open-world games. I had convinced myself I had no time for any of that nonsense, and what time I did have would be better spent on shorter, easier to put down and pick up titles. Fallout 4 proved me wrong.

For a couple of weeks in November, my every waking hour not spent working or watching my children (maybe some of the latter hours as well) was spent traversing the Boston wastelands, searching for secrets, battling mutants and trying to make Piper fall in love with my character.

Fallout 4 is the kind of game I hope holds up well enough to play it with my kids ten years from now, when they’re old enough to fully appreciate the post-apocalypse.

Read our full Fallout 4 review here.

So, how does my list compare to yours? If I’ve done these calculations correctly, it should be exactly the same. Mind you I am not good at calculations, so a few minor deviations are expected. Fingers crossed!
:retarded:

duanth123

Arcane
Just when I thought I would never lose myself in a massively multiplayer online role-playing game again,

What I love the best about the game is how it continues to make the player the hero of the story.

She was obsessed with completing the game, often to the detriment of herself and others.

The children would shout “No Ori and the Blind Forest!” as she continued her endless attempts to navigate a massive flooding tree

There is a disturbing undercurrent to this man more fascinating and authentic than anything he will ever even think to write in his life

Viata

Arcane
:flamesaw::killit::flamesaw:

himmy

Arcane
SO. MANY. GAMES.

Speaking of which, if you do end up making different categories, I think most people would like to see a Most Pleasant Surprise category and, in true Codexian fashion, Biggest Disappointment categories, or other such diversification, rather than divide games sometimes arbitrarily by subgenre or release strategy. Just a thought.

RK47

collides like two planets pulled by gravity
Patron
Dead State Divinity: Original Sin
not enough games.
also, when is Obsidian gonna make Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtle RPG?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
Ok, we do dis now. The hype for AoD & Underrail already died down a bit, so we should get some decent results.

But before I even begin, let's get this out of the way: I intend to do a bayesian average, just like last time.

So, to avoid DRAMA (lol, like it's possible), does toro , agris, coffeetable and other math heads haev a better system they would like to purpose? or at least what "m" should be this time?

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
We can do a fundraiser - send monies to my paypal account with the GOTY of your choice. The game with most monies win.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom