Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

RPG Codex Game of the Year 2015 - VOTING HAS BEGUN [AUTISM ALERT]

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Noone cares about your vote anyway dildolos.

Since I've been here longer than you, young one. I believe they actually do ;)

Go feed your cats, and don't be so grouchy, bro.

Drudkh

Learned
i think it is pretty much safe to say all Square jrpgs will land on PC eventually including Chrono Trigger and other along with FFXV and FFVIIRemake

Seems like all they need to do is dump some trash port of anything with the Final Fantasy label on it into the Steam trough and it shoots up to the highest ranks of the top sellers list for a while.

Perkel

Arcane
i think it is pretty much safe to say all Square jrpgs will land on PC eventually including Chrono Trigger and other along with FFXV and FFVIIRemake

Seems like all they need to do is dump some trash port of anything with the Final Fantasy label on it into the Steam trough and it shoots up to the highest ranks of the top sellers list for a while.

Depends really on their tactic. Most of stuff they released were ports which were done separately from console versions thus they won't make new team to recode game from ground up to fit properly PC.

Now when they will be doing new HD release and they will have PC and console release then team which does that HD edition can sit on source and properly retrofit engine to account for PC version.

Though FX-X2 will be the same as earlier. Those ports were made year ago and team probably already works on something else. So you can expect lowest amount of work on it.

Haraldur

Augur
I assume that there is no news of Final Fantasy Tactics on PC. Perhaps they wait to see Disgaea's performance. Perkel

Perkel

Arcane
FFT got ported already to Mobile with shit UI so imo releasing it on PC with same shit UI shouldn't take long. Same with FFVI port with horrible UI.

Unkillable Cat

LEST WE FORGET
Patron
Codex 2014 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy
played undertale for 2-3 hours.
interesting game until all novelty wears off (basically 1-1,5 hour) then it becomes just weebo game.
Next year no one will give a shit about it and everyone will behave like it never existed in first place.

I think you're mistaken. At the very least it will be known as "that jRPG with the gimmick", and judging by your words you don't even know what that gimmick is.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
played undertale for 2-3 hours.
interesting game until all novelty wears off (basically 1-1,5 hour) then it becomes just weebo game.
Next year no one will give a shit about it and everyone will behave like it never existed in first place.

I think you're mistaken. At the very least it will be known as "that jRPG with the gimmick", and judging by your words you don't even know what that gimmick is.
Is the gimmick tumblr?

Self-Ejected

Bubbles

I'm forever blowing
Best Remaster / Translation / Console Port
Agarest: Generations of War 2
Avernum II: Crystal Souls
Dark Souls II: Scholar of the First Sin
Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Editon
Fairy Fencer F
Final Fantasy IV: The After Years
FINAL FANTASY TYPE-0 HD
Final Fantasy XIII - Lightning Returns
Hyperdimension Neptunia Re;Birth1 (and 2 & 3)
Legend of Heroes: Trail in the Sky SC
Mugen Souls
The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing - Final Cut
Toukiden: Kiwami
Vendetta: Curse of Raven's Cry
Wasteland 2: Director's Cut
Way of the Samurai 4
Ys VI: The Ark of Napishtim

Dead State: Reanimated

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
SO. MANY. GAMES.

BTW, Dragon Quest Heroes is a popamole Dynasty Warriors clone for kids. Amazing (and cute) graphics, extremely simple gameplay. Having a party and recruitable monsters doesn't change the fact that it's an action game with only like 5 attacks. I am disappoint.

Perkel

Arcane
SO. MANY. GAMES.

BTW, Dragon Quest Heroes is a popamole Dynasty Warriors clone for kids. Amazing (and cute) graphics, extremely simple gameplay. Having a party and recruitable monsters doesn't change the fact that it's an action game with only like 5 attacks. I am disappoint.

Yup, it is standard musou game and it is straight action game. Shouldn't be on list at all. I just started it yesterday and dropped it same day for this reason.

Perkel

Arcane
Really? It's my favorite JRPG. It was supposed to be a great game.

"heroes" is musou game. Action game with partial story. There is some tactic in it but i can't see it going into even JRPG theme.

pakoito

Arcane
Patron
I don't think it's a bad mosou, the formula is very difficult to fuck up.

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
I don't think it's a bad mosou, the formula is very difficult to fuck up.
I disagree. Even Koei's Warriors series is full of ups and downs. It's too easy to become repetitive and dull, so missions must be interesting and enemy officers must be challenging & memmorable.

Dynasty Warriors 8 Complete is one of the best offering of this kind (way better than DW7 and 6), with tons of optional objectives, alternate history paths and secret weapons to get. And Lu Bu is still fucking Lu Bu. Sengoku Basara 3 was also solid in this regard, with characters playing very differently. But One Piece: Pirate Warriors 3, for example, had some great characters & movesets, but the missions were dull as hell. Samurai Warriors 4-II, on the other hand, was extremely disappointing all-around.

Unless the difficulty & complexity ramps up later, Dragon Quest Heroes seems to be too simple and childish. Two hours in and it's still throwing minuscule areas with one very simple objective an no challenge at all.

Theldaran

Liturgist
I hear unending cries on Fallout 4, but it hasn't had much of an opposition this year. It's like voting for greatest fortune on North Korea.

Self-Ejected

Lurker King

Self-Ejected
The Real Fanboy
Given how big a hard-on The Kodex has for Fallout and fallout-esque games (myself included), it would be surprising if Underrail didn't take first place.

People enjoy Fallout because of the C&C, writing, mature themes, atmosphere and exploration. Underrail has only atmosphere and exploration, but with better combat. Considering all this, it is a very different game. If you praise the game as the new FO, you will attract unwanted attention, since FO fans that give too much importance to C&C and writing will feel cheated. Don't fall in that trap.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Finished Undertale on normal, genocide and true passifist runs with my 13 year old. It's 'OK'.

This should really be no contest and that makes me a little sad for AoD. Underrail has so very much more going on systematically that comparison is kind of unfair to the definitely excellent but substantially different AoD.

Daedalos

Arcane
The Real Fanboy
Given how big a hard-on The Kodex has for Fallout and fallout-esque games (myself included), it would be surprising if Underrail didn't take first place.

People enjoy Fallout because of the C&C, writing, mature themes, atmosphere and exploration. Underrail has only atmosphere and exploration, but with better combat. Considering all this, it is a very different game. If you praise the game as the new FO, you will attract unwanted attention, since FO fans that give too much importance to C&C and writing will feel cheated. Don't fall in that trap.

Mature themes? Underrail has pretty mature themes, too. But yeah, obviously the story and C&C/writing is great in fallout, but it's not so bad in underrail either, but not AS good. Still, I would say there are definitely comperable in terms of mechanics, gameplay, post-apoc setting and atmosphere.

What I meant was, this game OVERALL is the closest thing we get to a game that resembles what fallout had, in terms of atmosphere and style. Yeah, the story and writing might not be that great, but everything else is top notch and spot on fallout-esque.

Doctor Sbaitso

SO, TELL ME ABOUT YOUR PROBLEMS.
Patron
Codex 2013 Codex 2014 PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Grab the Codex by the pussy Serpent in the Staglands
Underrail easily has superior systems and combat to Fallout. Other than writing and perhaps C&C, Underrail is the superior game. I say that without knowing what improvements may come there in Underrail's release.

Mortmal

Arcane

People enjoyed fallout for those reasons yes and especially because you can play as a selfish bastard, something the average codex can identify himself. Thus the rage on bethesda version of fallout 3 not cause its popamole instead of turn based, no one really care of that, but because it forces you into the role of a goody two shoes wastelander.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom