Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Interview RPG Codex Exclusive Interview: bitComposer's Take on the Chaos Chronicles Dispute

Rake

Arcane
So... bottom line is: Evil lawyers!
Bottom line is that not only the publisers (which are bashed for it), but the developers themselves are putting their games in the backseat when money are involved. It's a buisness after all.

deamento

Scholar
He gets an A+ for dodging the citidels question.
he was like, citadels?
163412.gif

Spectacle

Arcane
Patron
It wouldn't surprise me if the original contract was screwing over CorePlay, but it took this new investor/lawyer - someone who understands money - to realise it. He decided there was no point in continuing the project under the current terms, and started to work on renegotiating, then fucked it up.

I'm just speculating though, the real situation could be something completely different.

Mrowak

Arcane
Project: Eternity
@Grunker

Clearly changing arrangements mid-development all the while refusing to prepare development plans and schedules is the main reason any producer would lose faith in the project.
I am the producer (or maybe was. I'm not quite sure as you can guess). And neither I nor the others did lose faith in the project at any time.

Outpublishing the publisher, well done Mrowak. :smug:

Explains "was" in the comment :troll:

Seriously, bro. From the Codex I got to learn your side of the story, but it made me realise how overidealistic we can get. Facts remain: the developer prepares a product "on the commission" from the producer/publisher. As such he doesn't get to whine and complain and redesign stuff on the whim, just because he doesn't feel like going by the agreed arrangement. How would you feel if a group of painters decided to cover your house black, without any consultation with you, just because it fits their "artistic vision"?

To be fair: the :decline: is a fact of life, we've got to combat to our outmost. Having said that it always pays to learn the other side of the story. And you've got to admit it - seeing how Doublefine and other studios (including to a certain extent Coreplay) managed their projects, can you really say that my concerns are completely unfounded?

Absinthe

Arcane
I don't entirely agree, given the funding %s mentioned in the interview. As Coreplay were only contributing 5% of the budget (and would have received payments from the project budget in the early stages of development to cover operating costs), the money invested so far is mostly from BC. So they have more to lose than just 'future profits'.

Of course, Coreplay would need to quickly move onto a new project to cover their operating costs or they may indeed face financial problems. And finding a new project would be harder with this on their record, and presumably no chance of BFFF funding in future.

But I do think BC have more on the line here than just potential future upside.
Sunk cost fallacy mate. That money's already lost. The only question is how much more money (and time, effort etc. 'cause publishers gonna publish) they'll spend and what they'll get out of the deal.

Servo

Arcane
This is probably an over-simplification, but this whole mess (along with a bunch of other related messes) begs the question: how well do software development and publishing contracts go hand in hand? Apparently not very.

Jack Dandy

Arcane
Divinity: Original Sin 2
I just wanted to play a nice combination of ToEE, Ultima V, and Realms of Arkania.. Is it too much to ask? :(

Xenich

Cipher
Yep. Evil publishers shareholders always ruining the fun.

Shareholders should just be capital for a company. No say, period. If you don't believe in the product, company, service... well don't fund it. If you do, sit down, shut the fuck up and let them do what they sold you on in the first place.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
This is not about pride and victims, it's about business.
What part of this interview indicates that they know the difference?

Duhr's answers seemed reasonable and logical, but I was pointing out that at this point they can't just say 'alrighty, let's forget all about this drama and release the game, shall we?' Looks like they have to iron out a few contractual and financial conflicts first.

DarkUnderlord

Professional Throne Sitter
Staff Member
OFFICIAL!!!
Right, I see that this distinction is of great import to you.

What does it change though? People rant against publishers/devs on every forum, official or not. Other places moderate, we don't.
There's ranting and there's throwing names around. It's the difference between you making a point versus calling me "DorkOverload". You call one of the BioWare Administrators something like that and see how long you last.

Like I said, you go throw some names around against any developer or publisher you like on their official forums and you see how far it gets you. Here's what WILL happen, no ifs, no buts, if you threw those terms around like they're being thrown around here:
- You will be warned.
- Your post / thread will be locked or most likely deleted.
- Your account will be banned.

It is NOT tolerated. Let me say that again, it is NOT tolerated on official forums anywhere. The number #1 result for "obshitian" is the rpgcodex. There are ZERO results for the term on their official forums. While a search here brings up 5 pages of results.

It's not just "other places" moderate, it's every other place moderates. You're here so maybe you don't see it - but we are unique in that respect.

And now here we are, hosting the official forums (of which Coreplay are paying for the privilege) and this is the language that's being used. So, how does that make them feel? Potentially, do you intend on doing anything about that? Are you going to tolerate it and let it slide or will you be taking any action?

Because they could.

Even now, you are arguing that we shouldn't have used that language in the interview. You're saying, effectively, that we should've moderated it. And yet, how hypocritical of us would it be for us to do that in the interview - and yet tolerate it in their official forums? Especially when, assuming this game goes ahead and gets published, every person who plays it who wants to come to the official forums is going to come here and see it.

Once more, how does that make them feel? It's certainly upset you. Gosh, you're mortified that we dared use the language in an interview. Just wait 'til we use it in a news post - or the year in review. Or just see everyone use it in the forums.

I'm sure they've evaluated the pros and cons of hosting their forum on the Codex, taking into account the harsh tone around here. So again I ask you: what purpose did it serve to point out the ShitComposer bit, when they are obviously aware of and comfortable with the fact that they are the likely scapegoat in this case?
Really? This was all obvious? I guess we needn't have bothered with the interview then. Man, what a waste of time that was.

Murk

Arcane
Elucidating. Good interview; hoping to hear the other side.

Metro

Arcane
Beg Auditor
It's relevant in that it's evidence of what kind of publisher they are and what standards they have for declaring something in 'release' state. Of course you'd also need to know some facts like how much time the developers had, what problems they ran into, etc.

Self-Ejected

HobGoblin42

Self-Ejected
Patron
Developer
Codex 2013 Codex USB, 2014
So, I finally found time to read this interview in full length and without hurry.

And after reading some posts, I noticed that some guys here already hit the nail with their assumptions about the reasons.

Regarding the bitComposer interview: I wouldn't say, his statements and facts are completely objectionable or untrue.

What is the difference between journalism and public relations? As PR guy, you keep the good parts and skip the negative when speaking/writing about your company.

This interview is pure PR. Not answering to questions regarding obvious negative issues (like Citadels).

Talking about our game, let's start with some quotes from the interview:

"We decided to start with Jagged Alliance first, as income from this project would ensure the additional investment we would need to do the full production of Chaos Chronicles, which started end of 2011."
"The full production of Chaos Chronicles began in 2011, based on the prototype from 2010"

First of all, it's interesting to see that he mentioned this date twice.

Some facts about Coreplay: most of our projects since 2009 have been developed in cooperation with bitComposer ('Fit For Fun', JA:BiA, JA:Crossfire, 'Chaos Chronicles').

In this time, between 10 and 12 people worked here at Coreplay - that was the whole studio.
With those people, we completed two games in the last 2 years: 'Jagged Alliance: Back in Action' and 'Jagged Alliance: Crossfire' and we started one: 'Chaos Chronicles'.

Until February 2012, we developed the game "Jagged Alliance: Back in Action" (started end of 2010).
After its release, we continued with updates, DLCs, MapPacks (Point Blank, Shades of Red) for JA:BiA until April 2012.
Until end of July 2012, we developed the add-on called "Jagged Alliance: Crossfire".

Another quote from the interview: "The only thing we asked the team was to come up with a plan for a release in January 2013 (as originally planned) [..]"

Do your math and you will see.

But at least, now we all know how PR works.

That's all information from me at the moment.

Last edited:

Ninjerk

Arcane
I can't brofist you but thanks for remaining involved, whatever the truth of the matter at hand.

Overboard

Arcane
I suppose that will have to be shitplay's response to shitcomposer here on the RPGshitdex, presided over by shitdunderlord.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom