Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPG Codex and the internal workings of RPG developers

Kev Inkline

Arcane
Patron
A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Pathfinder: Kingmaker Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
I'm looking for my father. Middle-aged guy. Maybe you've seen him?

AwesomeButton

Proud owner of BG 3: Day of Swen's Tentacle
Patron
PC RPG Website of the Year, 2015 Make the Codex Great Again! Grab the Codex by the pussy Insert Title Here RPG Wokedex Divinity: Original Sin 2 A Beautifully Desolate Campaign Pillars of Eternity 2: Deadfire Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag. Pathfinder: Wrath
I can't make up my mind, should I be critical of the OP, or of people arguing with him. There are reasons for both...

Luckmann

Arcane
Zionist Agent
Early 00s Codex didn't care at all for dungeon crawlers, it was Black Isle or bust.
This isn't true. I always loved Eye of the Beholder. :M

That said, the shift from loving Baldur's Gate and the like to hating on anything with continuous turns is both sad and hilarious, and it feels like Baldur's Gate 2 has almost suffered reverse-nostalgia simply because it was the first game in the now cancerous Bioware formula.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
isn't true. I always loved Eye of the Beholder. :M

2009 isn't early 00s. :) There was a forum culture change post-Oblivion.

That said, the shift from loving Baldur's Gate and the like to hating on anything with continuous turns is both sad and hilarious, and it feels like Baldur's Gate 2 has almost suffered reverse-nostalgia simply because it was the first game in the now cancerous Bioware formula.

My impression is that a great deal of early 00s Codex either outright disliked both BGs or inisisted that they belonged to the action-adventure genre and weren't actual role playing games (because they didn't play like Fallout).

Saduj

Arcane
I don't know why anyone responded as if OP said it is wrong to call shit games "shit". What he's talking about is people here saying "This game turned out shitty because [insert some scrap of information about developer that is extrapolated into some fictional version of events by someone who has no true inside information or unique insight based on practical experience]."

That does happen here. Often. I don't know that it is a problem or deserves a thread. It is funny at least as often as it is annoying.

Edit: Basically, he said people talk shit on the internet.

Last edited:

Iznaliu

Arbiter
I don't know why anyone responded as if OP said it is wrong to call shit games "shit". What he's talking about is people here saying "This game turned out shitty because [insert some scrap of information about developer that is extrapolated into some fictional version of events by someone who has no true inside information or unique insight based on practical experience]."

Because people think in black and white. They think "You must agree with me, or you must be a BioWare employee".

Bohrain

Liturgist
Patron
My team has the sexiest and deadliest waifus you can recruit.
A firm rule must be imposed upon our forum before it destroys itself. The Codex needs some theology and geometry, some taste and decency. I suspect that we are teetering on the edge of the abyss.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom