Putting the 'role' back in role-playing games since 2002.
Donate to Codex
Good Old Games
  • Welcome to rpgcodex.net, a site dedicated to discussing computer based role-playing games in a free and open fashion. We're less strict than other forums, but please refer to the rules.

"This message is awaiting moderator approval": All new users must pass through our moderation queue before they will be able to post normally. Until your account has "passed" your posts will only be visible to yourself (and moderators) until they are approved. Give us a week to get around to approving / deleting / ignoring your mundane opinion on crap before hassling us about it. Once you have passed the moderation period (think of it as a test), you will be able to post normally, just like all the other retards.

Decline RPG Codex and the internal workings of RPG developers

MasPingon

Arcane
Every man and their dog's opinion is regarded as relevant simply since it supports the preconception that they hold, every little vaguely-rlated anecdote is dredged up and milked for all its worth.

Marxist piece of shit.

Where the hell is "cuck" button?

Falksi

Arcane
Interestingly, I've just watched a load of this dude's vids..........

.........and found myself agreeing with 99% of his views. Views which I've read a lot of other Codexers post too.

He works at EA.

It's almost as if you can have a valid opinion without having to know the intricacies of an organisation. Well fancy that.

Iznaliu

Arbiter
Marxist piece of shit.

Am I a "Marxist piece of shit" simply since I don't support the distortion of fact?

.........and found myself agreeing with 99% of his views. Views which I've read a lot of other Codexers post too.

He works at EA.

It's almost as if you can have a valid opinion without having to know the intricacies of an organisation. Well fancy that.

I don't disagree with you. It's not about opinions, it's about the realities of RPG development. People are taking my comments way out of context.

Outlander

Custom Tags Are For Fags.
Patron
Divinity: Original Sin Wasteland 2 Steve gets a Kidney but I don't even get a tag.
Marxist piece of shit.

Am I a "Marxist piece of shit" simply since I don't support the distortion of fact?

He works at EA.

I don't disagree with you. It's not about opinions, it's about the realities of RPG development. People are taking my comments way out of context.

When most people are disagreeing with you, it's wise to take a step back and ponder the possibility that what you wrote is just bullshit, instead of making lame excuses like 'out of context' or 'nobody understand'.

I mean that can happen, but it's way more likely that you're just wrong.

Alex

Arcane
I've noticed a disheartening trend that is significantly lowering the quality of discussion on this site. It is, namely, a perception that one knows about the internal workings of RPG developers despite have never worked in anything remotely similar to an RPG development environment.

The Codex was a lot worse about this in the early/mid 00s when they didn't understand why everything couldn't be a Fallout clone. :M

Because you need Wizardry 6/7 clones as well?

Prime Junta

Marxist piece of shit.

Yes.

8135.jpg

Mynon

Dumbfuck!
Dumbfuck
But this is pretty much the reality of modern gaming community: younger gamers have no respect nor understanding for game devs. They are treated as some sort of magical automata. It would indeed make sense for anyone who fancies himself a critic and intends to criticize some game to understand just how much effort goes into one such product and how complex & tricky its development is.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
And then? Handing out participation awards to game devs because they worked so hard and tried? Making the Emoji movie was hard work for a lot of people. It's still shit.

Self-Ejected

IncendiaryDevice

Self-Ejected
Village Idiot
As broken left and right this is - its still more entertaining than anything Obshitian and Co has produced.
25fa4603-0ef0-4c03-bde0-3ecc5a0e237a.jpg.480p.jpg

If something is broken, it's still shit, whatever it is. Saying one lump of shit is worse than another lump of shit really is wasting oxygen...

Falksi

Arcane
But this is pretty much the reality of modern gaming community: younger gamers have no respect nor understanding for game devs. They are treated as some sort of magical automata. It would indeed make sense for anyone who fancies himself a critic and intends to criticize some game to understand just how much effort goes into one such product and how complex & tricky its development is.

Whilst I think said effort deserves respect, I still don't think that the complexity of development is a valid shield for devs to hide behind to deflect criticism. More so, I'd have thought that they would welcome constructive criticism.

Now don't get me wrong, there's a big difference between a well thought out/presented POV like in the video I posted earlier in the thread, and something like "Skyrim is shit, I want to ride dragons!". But if devs are intelligent enough to develop games in the first place, I'd hope that they were also intelligent enough to be able to be selective about the different criticisms which they recieve too.

The customer isn't always right, and I'm sure that certain practical elements of game development impose restrictions & hinderances on devs. But that still shouldn't stop gamers from having their say. Devs & corporate types just have to have the nouse to take things into context, and filter the wheat from the chaff.

vonAchdorf

Arcane
Whilst I think said effort deserves respect, I still don't think that the complexity of development is a valid shield for devs to hide behind to deflect criticism. More so, I'd have thought that they would welcome constructive criticism.

Now don't get me wrong, there's a big difference between a well thought out/presented POV like in the video I posted earlier in the thread, and something like "Skyrim is shit, I want to ride dragons!". But if devs are intelligent enough to develop games in the first place, I'd hope that they were also intelligent enough to be able to be selective about the different criticisms which they recieve too.

The customer isn't always right, and I'm sure that certain practical elements of game development impose restrictions & hinderances on devs. But that still shouldn't stop gamers from having their say. Devs & corporate types just have to have the nouse to take things into context, and filter the wheat from the chaff.

You can ride dragons in Skyrim :troll:

Alkarl

Learned
I was gonna say something earlier when this thread was first posted, but I really didn't see the point.
OP has the most garbage opinion you could possibly have as either a critic or aspiring dev, maybe as a human being overall.
I mean, yeah, in a perfect world, nobodies shit stinks and all we receive is critical acclaim from both our peers and fans. But think about that for a moment; do you really want to live in a world where everyone is equal and there is no upward struggle? A world where every rpg idea has either been done to perfection or discarded as non-operative?
There are a lot of games I, personally (let's get away from this hivemind consensus first off), think are shit but did something different in an interesting way. A lot of these things aren't being done anymore. Just about every new rpg feels so formulaic, I wonder why the devs bothered. Shit, in my own context, doesn't need to mean "bad". How many games have you personally played, from different studios, that felt like they were just reskins of the same engine? Yeah, loads, because that's the common trend these days. It's like reading the same novel from two different authors and the only difference is in the names and hats everyone wears.
And as far as making games being hard, and not getting criticized, I could literally, right now, go on about 20 different websites and steal all the code I'd need to make a great big turd. Or I could just pop out asset flips via Unity etc all day long.
I'll tell you what's difficult, thinking for yourself and having genuinely good, original ideas. In your average studio of 50+ people there is rarely an original thought to be found.
Nice try, fanboy fag.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I've noticed a disheartening trend that is significantly lowering the quality of discussion on this site. It is, namely, a perception that one knows about the internal workings of RPG developers despite have never worked in anything remotely similar to an RPG development environment.

The Codex was a lot worse about this in the early/mid 00s when they didn't understand why everything couldn't be a Fallout clone. :M

Early 00s Codex didn't care at all for dungeon crawlers, it was Black Isle or bust.

Alex

Arcane

Early 00s Codex didn't care at all for dungeon crawlers, it was Black Isle or bust.

I remember them liking Gold Box games well enough...

Iznaliu

Arbiter
However Iznaliu, I'd welcome any knowledge that you wish to relay to us about the inner workings of game development which you think would enlighten us.

I'm not a dev. I know what I don't kpw.

And then? Handing out participation awards to game devs because they worked so hard and tried? Making the Emoji movie was hard work for a lot of people. It's still shit.

True. But people need to understand how hard it is to get a good game made in today's gaming climate, especially if you want AAA quality. Additionally, there seems to be this myth that more work put in=more quality.

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
I remember them liking Gold Box games well enough...

For their time perhaps. You have this paragraph from the Silent Storm review.

One thing I was disappointed in is that there are several missions where they start off talking and things just go downhill from there. It would have been nice if the game had an actual dialogue system as opposed to the canned cut scene speeches. In fact, even adding a bit of a speech skill would have gone a long way to making this more interesting - allowing a player to develop diplomatic methods for making missions easier by recruiting civilians to help out, or even talking enemies in to surrendering. One particular mission involving accusations flying back and forth as to who the real spy is could have been made far more interesting with a little charm and diplomacy.

i.e. "Why can't this be more like Fallout?"

felipepepe

Codex's Heretic
Patron
But these people are hardly the most vocal about their opinions, as they are wise and know that producing a game, even if it is absolute shit, isn't easy.
Have you ever worked a single day in your life? Was it easy? Was your work criticized?

Either you only worked as a game dev or you never worked at all if you think game developers are super-human beings that have much harder jobs and thus should be spared from criticism. The sad thing is that often you see real game developers who also have this retarded mindset, as if their work should be above criticism because they "worked hard on it".

Roguey

Codex Staff
Staff Member
Sawyerite
Well, why cant everything be like Fallout? Whats wrong with this sentiment?

A reduction in quality when it comes to combat and/or exploration in inevitable.

As an Amazon Associate, rpgcodex.net earns from qualifying purchases.
Back
Top Bottom